Saturday, August 25, 2018

Aeronca 7AC Champ, N65HM: Fatal accident occurred August 24, 2018 near Cranland Airport (28M), Hanson, Plymouth County, Massachusetts

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entity:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Boston, Massachusetts

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Location: Hanson, MA
Accident Number: ERA18FA230
Date & Time: 08/24/2018, 1535 EDT
Registration: N65HM
Aircraft: Aeronca 7AC
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Personal 

On August 24, 2018, around 1535 eastern daylight time, an Aeronca 7AC Champion, N65HM, was substantially damaged after it impacted terrain near Cranland Airport (28M), Hanson, Massachusetts. The commercial pilot was fatally injured and the passenger was seriously injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the local flight, which was originating at the time of the accident. The personal flight was conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

A review of airport security surveillance video showed that from the time the airplane engine started to the time it began the takeoff roll on runway 18 was about 7 minutes. Then, a video from another angle showed when it was approximately 100 ft above ground level, the airplane leveled off, began to bank to the left, continued the turn until it descended below the trees, and then the sound of impact could be heard.

First responders reported that the airplane came to rest in a nose down, near vertical position and that they had to move the airplane in order to perform rescue operations.

According to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, the pilot held a commercial pilot certificate for with ratings for rotorcraft - helicopter and instrument helicopter and a private pilot certificate for airplane single-engine land and sea. The pilot was issued a first-class medical certificate on October 10, 2017, with no limitations. According to the pilot's logbook, he had accumulated 195.7 hours of civilian flight time, of which, 4 hours were in the accident airplane in the most recent 3 years.

According to FAA records, the airplane was manufactured in 1946, and was registered to an individual in 2015. In addition, it was equipped with a Continental Motors Inc. C90 series, 90-horsepower engine that drove a fixed pitch propeller. According to airplane maintenance logbooks, an annual inspection was completed on the airplane on October 1, 2017, at a total time of 1521.4 hours and a Tachometer time of 3215.1 hours. The tachometer located in the airplane at the time of the accident indicated 3325.1 hours.

The recorded weather observation at Plymouth Municipal Airport (PYM) Plymouth, Massachussetts, at 1552, about 8 miles to the southeast of the accident location, included wind from 210° at 7 knots, visibility 10 miles, clear skies, temperature 27° C, dew point 12° C; and an altimeter setting of 30.20 inches of mercury.

The airplane impacted a bog 470 ft to the east from the departure end of runway 18. The main wreckage was located at an elevation of 59 ft above mean sea level. All components of the airplane were located in the vicinity of the wreckage.

The nose section of the airplane was impact crushed aft. Flight control continuity was confirmed from the flight controls in the cockpit to all flight control surfaces. The leading edge of the right and left wings were impact crushed along the entire span of the wing. A fuel sample was taken from both fuel tanks and the samples tested negative for water contamination. The empennage of the airplane and aft flight control surfaces remained intact and attached to the fuselage. There was no stall warning system or angle of attack indicator on the airplane.

The engine remained attached to the airframe and the propeller remained attached to the engine. One propeller blade was bent slightly aft and the other blade remained straight. Engine crankshaft continuity was confirmed from the propeller flange to the accessory section of the engine. All cylinders remained attached to the crankcase and thumb compression and suction was observed on all cylinders when the propeller was rotated through the entire range of motion. The rocker box covers were removed and no anomalies were noted with the valve springs and rocker arms. Valvetrain continuity was confirmed when the crankshaft was rotated by hand.

The carburetor was removed and disassembled. The gasket was examined with no anomalies noted. The float assembly remained intact with no anomalies noted. The butterfly valve and fuel pump operated when the throttle arm was moved by hand. The needle and seat remained in place. The carburetor bowl was examined and contained brownish fluid similar to the water noted in the bog. In addition, the fluid inside the carburetor bowl smelled similar to 100LL aviation fuel.

The fuel shutoff valve was removed and examined. It was discovered in the closed position. It operated without anomaly when it was moved with pliers.

The left and right magneto were removed. When each magneto was rotated by hand, spark was observed on all towers. The top spark plugs were removed. All but the No. 2 top spark plugs were in "normal" condition when compared to the Champion Check A Plug Chart. The No. 2 top spark plug exhibited "normal-worn out" condition when compared to the Champion Check a Plug Chart.

Cranland Airport was a public airport located 3 miles southeast of Hanson, Massachusetts, that did not have an operating control tower. The airport was equipped with a runway designated as 18/36, which was 1760 ft-long by 60 ft-wide and composed of asphalt. The airport elevation was 71 ft above mean sea level. 

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Make: Aeronca
Registration: N65HM
Model/Series: 7AC No Series
Aircraft Category: Airplane
Amateur Built: No
Operator: On file
Operating Certificate(s) Held: None 

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site: Visual Conditions
Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: PYM, 149 ft msl
Observation Time: 1552 EDT
Distance from Accident Site: 8 Nautical Miles
Temperature/Dew Point: 27°C / 12°C
Lowest Cloud Condition: Clear
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 9 knots / , 210°
Lowest Ceiling: None
Visibility:  10 Miles
Altimeter Setting: 30.2 inches Hg
Type of Flight Plan Filed: None
Departure Point: Hanson, MA (28M)
Destination:  Hanson, MA (28M) 

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 1 Fatal
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Passenger Injuries: 1 Serious
Aircraft Fire: None
Ground Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious
Latitude, Longitude:  42.022500, -70.835278

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email

"My nephew Patrick Landis was involved in a plane crash on Friday Aug. 24 2018. His brother Scott was the pilot. They were flying up to scatter their dad's ashes., who had passed away on Aug. 14 2018. Just 10 days prior. The engine failed on take off and they crashed. Scotty passed away from his injuries and Patrick sustained too many broken bones to count, a broken back and severed spinal cord. He is paralyzed from the waist down. Currently on a ventilator to help him heal, he is going to have years of recovery. My sister, his mom, lost her husband of 40 years, her 1st born son 10 days later and is now going to need to take care of her paralyzed son. Please consider donating. They need all the help they can get."

Scott Landis

Scott, Staci, and Jack Landis

"Beloved husband, father, and friend ventured out Friday to spread his father's ashes who had just passed a few weeks ago.  He was unfortunately met with a horrific tragedy and taken from this Earth far too soon.  He left behind his loving wife, Staci, and beautiful child, Jack, who could really use your help in this difficult time. This family has experienced emotionally exhausting and financial burdening few months, so any size donation you could offer would be greatly appreciated."

Two Massachusetts brothers’ mission to scatter their recently deceased father's ashes in the high skies ended in tragedy when their single engine-plane crashed, in an accident that killed one man and has left the other seriously injured and in critical condition.

On August 24, around 4 p.m., Scott and Patrick Landis' Aeronca 7AC Champion plane crashed into a pond near Cranland Airport in Hanson, NECN reports. According to the outlet, Scott was an experienced helicopter pilot who served in the Army National Guard, had previously flown military Blackhawk helicopters, and had been piloting the aircraft loaned to him.

According to Enterprise News, Scott has been stationed in Kosovo and was on bereavement leave following the death of his father. Younger brother Patrick was the only passenger on board.

Don Conway, an uncle of the two brothers, told Boston 25 that Scott and Patrick had just spread their father’s ashes from the plane, and he believes the crash happened due to mechanical error.  

“From what I understand they were coming back from doing that, and I guess witnesses say they heard sputtering," Conway said. "But Scotty is a very established pilot, so it couldn’t have been pilot error because he’s meticulous when he flies.”

NECN reports that after emergency personnel responded to the scene, Scott was airlifted to Boston’s Massachusetts General Hospital, where he died Saturday morning as result of his injuries. Patrick was airlifted to Boston’s Tufts Medical Center, where he remains in critical condition.

The Federal Aviation Administration confirmed to Boston 25 that they will be investigating in conjunction with the National Transportation Safety Board.

Landis leaves behind a wife and one-year-old son, Enterprise News reports. 

Original article can be found here ➤

HANSON, MASS. (WHDH) - One man has died and another is in critical condition a Boston-area hospital after being pulled from a plane that crashed near an airport in Hanson Friday afternoon.

The manager of Cranland Airport, Peter Oakley, confirms that Scott Landis, the pilot of the small plane, has died of injuries he sustained in the crash.

Emergency crews from several area communities responded to the area of 775 Monponsett St., which is located near the one runway airport, after receiving word of a plane crash around 4 p.m.

Landis and his brother, Patrick, were flying the 7AC Champion aircraft to spread their late father’s ashes when it plummeted from the sky.

Patrick Landis, 29, was transported to Tufts Medical Center, where he remains in critical condition.

“We are heartbroken,” Oakley said. “I’ve known him since I bought the airport in 2011. But he has been coming around since he was in high school he just loved aviation.”

Landis is survived by his wife and child.

Authorities are still investigating the cause of the crash.

Story and video ➤

HANSON (CBS) – One of two brothers whose plane crashed into a pond near Cranland Airport in Hanson Friday afternoon has died.

Scott Landis, who was flying the plane, died overnight, the Cranland Airport manager said Saturday. Patrick Landis remains hospitalized at Tufts Medical Center.

Don Conway, the victims’ uncle, said Friday that the brothers were flying to spread their father’s ashes. Their father died from cancer two weeks ago.

Conway said Scott Landis serves in the military, flies Blackhawk helicopters and has flown out of Cranland Airport many times.

The crash remains under investigation. The airport manager said there appeared to be engine failure on takeoff.

Story and video ➤

HANSON (CBS) – Two men were seriously injured when a small plane crashed into a pond near Cranland Airport in Hanson Friday afternoon.

A family member says the victims are brothers and were flying to spread their father’s ashes. Don Conway, the victims’ uncle, says the boys’ father passed away from cancer two weeks ago. 

He says their conditions are unknown. “I know one was conscious and one wasn’t, I don’t know which one was and which one wasn’t,” Don Conway said.

Video from SkyEye shows a yellow plane with extensive damage in a shallow part of the pond. It’s not yet clear if the plane was taking off or landing when it crashed.

Conway says his nephew piloting the plane is in the service, flies Blackhawk helicopters and has flown out of Cranland Airport many times.

Both victims were trapped inside the plane when first responders arrived. Hanson police and fire worked together to extricate them using saws and hand tools. They were put on separate medical helicopters. One was taken to Tufts Medical Center, the other to Mass General.

In a statement, the Federal Aviation Administration said it is investigating the crash, which involved an Aeronca 7AC Champion aircraft. The National Transportation Safety Board will determine the probable cause of the accident, the FAA said.

Story and video ➤


Anonymous said...

It looks like the plane went down just short of the approach end of runway 36, in Chandler Millpond. I wonder if the pilot was trying to glide it back to the airport and came up short. It's heartbreaking to think of the surviving brother trapped in the plane with his sibling. At first glance it looked like a survivable crash. My thoughts go to the family.

Anonymous said...

320+ catfight on breitbart on what's better to crash in. Can't make this stuff up!

Jim B said...

We wish the best for this young man to recover as much as possible.