Monday, January 02, 2012

Civil aviation calls on planes to look for missing vessel

The Civil Aviation Authority has made a call for all marine vessels and low flying aircraft to be on the lookout for a 56-foot marine cargo vessel, the MV Oliver L that reportedly went missing after leaving Trinidad and Tobago recently en-route to Guyana.

The Government Information Agency said that Minister of Public Works Robeson Benn yesterday met with head of the Maritime Administration Department (MARAD) Claudette Rogers, Harbour Master, Chief Pilot representatives of the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) Coast Guard and operator of the missing vessel Johnny Ramdass to be updated on the search.

GINA said that the Venezuelan coast guard has combed the mouth of the Orinoko River and its counterparts in Trinidad and Tobago have searched East and South of the twin-Island republic. GINA said that at the request of Benn, the Ministry of Home Affairs will ask that the authorities in the two jurisdictions renew their search efforts.

GINA added that the owner has also searched the Waini River, Region One for the MV Oliver L which has a black hull, a white superstructure and is captained by Wexton Andrews.

Benn said that the Harbour Master became aware of the incident on December 30 and that there is concern about the safety of the crew since the vessel has a satellite phone.

The GDF Coast Guard has supplemented efforts with an ongoing search and today the team will meet again to be updated on the efforts.

Missing are the captain of the vessel, Andrews called ‘Mampy,‘ 33, of Uitvlugt; Ramdat Roopnarine, 38, of Lot 843 Zeelugt, West Coast Demerara; and Clad Burnette.

According to a statement on Saturday from Keon Price, the agent for the MV Oliver L on which they worked, the crew members are employed with Ramdass, the managing partner of a company which transports general cargo between Guyana and Trinidad. The vessel is registered in the name of Raymond Lord, the statement said.

On December 11 the three crew members left Guyana for Trinidad on the Oliver L and after spending ten days in the Twin Island republic they then were thought to have departed on December 21 or 22 for their return voyage, but have not been heard from since.

No comments:

Post a Comment