Saturday, September 21, 2019

Cirrus SR22, N578SP: Accident occurred September 13, 2019 in Hoagland, Allen County, Indiana

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities: 

Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Indianapolis, Indiana 
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama
Cirrus; Duluth, Minnesota 

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Location: Hoagland, IN

Accident Number: CEN19LA320
Date & Time: 09/13/2019, 1545 EDT
Registration: N578SP
Aircraft: Cirrus SR22
Injuries: 2 Minor
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Personal 

On September 13, 2019, about 1545 eastern daylight time, a Cirrus SR22 airplane, N578SP, descended under the canopy of the cirrus airframe parachute system (CAPS) and impacted terrain near Hoagland, Indiana, following an inflight loss of engine power. The private pilot and passenger sustained minor injuries. The airplane received substantial damage during the impact. The airplane was registered to Jagger LLC and was operated by the pilot as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. Day instrument meteorological conditions were reported in the area about the time of the accident, and the flight was operated on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan. The flight originated from Findlay Airport, near Findlay, Ohio about 1515 and was destined for the South Bend International Airport (SBN), near South Bend, Indiana.

According to initial information from the pilot, the airplane departed from Leesburg Airport (JYO) about 1100 on an IFR flight plan destined for SBN. The airplane was inspected and 3/4 of a quart of oil was added before departing JYO. The oil pressure was approximately 41-42 psi for the early part of the flight until the airplane passed north of Columbus, Ohio, when the pilot noticed the oil pressure beginning to decrease into the 30 psi range. After the oil pressure initially went below 30 and the low oil pressure light came on, the pilot asked for a diversion to Findlay Airport (FDY), near Findlay, Ohio. As the airplane descended from 10,000 ft and the pilot pulled back on the throttle, the oil pressure increased above 30 psi and into the green normal operating range by the time the airplane landed at FDY.

A post flight check of the oil revealed an indication about 6 quarts. A nearby fixed base operator came to KFDY to inspect the airplane. Two mechanics inspected the engine and checked for leaking oil. After confirming there were no signs of any oil leaks, and the engine still had approximately 6 quarts of oil, they adjusted the sensor and turned the pressure relief valve a quarter turn to tighten the valve. The engine was run at 1,600 rpm and the oil pressure read as high as 50 psi, with the oil temperature also in the green. The pilot and passenger boarded the airplane and the pilot did a full run-up at 1,700 rpm. The oil pressure and temperature were "good."

During the flight, Toledo approach controllers issued vectors to avoid some convective clouds. The pilot watched the oil pressure closely and it was at 45 psi for about the first 20 minutes. After a few vectors, the airplane was clear of any weather and was cleared direct to SBN. The airplane then had the emergency. Almost simultaneously, the engine stopped, the red oil pressure light came on, and a few gauges on the avionics display showed large red X's that indicated they were no longer receiving data. The pilot did not receive any indications, cautions, or alerts before this happened. The engine stopped running without any banging and bells and whistles started turning on in the cockpit. The pilot immediately called Fort Wayne Approach, declared an emergency due to the engine power loss, and asked for vectors to Fort Wayne International Airport (FWA), near Fort Wayne, Indiana.

The pilot had the checklist already open on his knee pad and immediately initiated the engine restart checklist many times. He tried multiple variations to include several throttle settings, mixture settings, swapping fuel tanks, cycling the boost pump, and turning on the alternate induction air. The pilot focused on trying to keep the airspeed close to 88 knots, kept heading towards FWA, and attempted to restart the engine. The propeller windmilled and subsequently came to a full stop. The propeller turned during the next restart attempt. However, the pilot did not see the power move from 0% and did not recollect what the oil temperature or oil pressure gauges were reading. His focus was on airspeed, heading, and the restart procedure.

Fort Wayne Approach advised the distance to the airport, which the pilot recalled as 6 or 8 miles. He realized the airplane would not make FWA and he needed to pull the chute. The pilot had been observing terrain and was trying to fly the airplane beyond houses and a power line to an open plowed dirt field. He delayed pulling the CAPS handle until the airplane had passed the power line. Upon hitting the ground, the pilot egressed from the airplane, went to the passenger side, and helped the passenger out. He asked a homeowner to call 9-1-1 and let the authorities know where they landed.

At 1537, the recorded weather at FWA was: Wind 240° at 17 kts gusting to 28 kts; visibility 3/4 statute mile; present weather heavy thunderstorm and rain; sky condition scattered clouds at 4,300 ft, broken clouds at 7,000 ft, broken clouds at 12,000 ft, overcast clouds at 25,000 ft; temperature 26° C; dew point 23° C; altimeter 30.02 inches of mercury.

The avionics contained data cards, which will be retained to see if they contain data pertinent to the accident flight.

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Make: Cirrus
Registration: N578SP
Model/Series: SR22 Undesignated
Aircraft Category: Airplane
Amateur Built: No
Operator: On file
Operating Certificate(s) Held: None

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site: Instrument Conditions
Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: FWA, 828 ft msl
Observation Time: 1537 EDT
Distance from Accident Site: 9 Nautical Miles
Temperature/Dew Point: 26°C / 23°
CLowest Cloud Condition: Scattered / 4300 ft agl
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 17 knots / 28 knots, 240°
Lowest Ceiling: Broken / 7000 ft agl
Visibility:  0.75 Miles
Altimeter Setting: 30.02 inches Hg
Type of Flight Plan Filed: IFR
Departure Point: Findlay, OH (KFDY)
Destination: South Bend, IN (KSBN)

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 1 Minor
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Passenger Injuries: 1 Minor
Aircraft Fire: None
Ground Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 2 Minor
Latitude, Longitude: 40.924444, -85.017222 (est)

HOAGLAND – A single-engine plane parachuted to an emergency landing near a clod field Friday afternoon.

The plane's pilot and female passenger, en route to South Bend for today's Notre Dame football game, had radioed Fort Wayne International Airport for help about 4 p.m., Cpl. Adam Griffith, Allen County Sheriff's Department public information spokesman, said at the scene.

The pilot deployed the parachute from 1,000 feet, Griffith said, and the couple received minor injuries.

The Cirrus SR22 had initially taken off from Virginia and made a stop in Ohio to tend to mechanical problems that were considered fixed, Griffith said.

The unidentified pilot and passenger were seen walking around the plane, which was on its belly. A bright red-and-white-striped parachute lay nearby. 

None of the neighbors who came over to the crash site in the sparsely populated area just off the 17000 block of Brunson Road said they heard any kind of noise.

They assumed because of the parachute the plane made a soft landing, they said. 

“It kind of flipped me out,” said Greg Nott, who lives in the home on the property where the plane landed. He came home after a neighbor called to say the plane was in Nott's backyard. 

“I thought 'wow, it's really happening,'” Nott said. “I was glad they were OK.” 

Griffith said the Federal Aviation Authority had not come to investigate Friday and would most likely be there Monday. Sheriff's deputies will be on-site until then, he added.

Original article can be found here ➤

HOAGLAND, Indiana (Fort Wayne’s NBC) – A Cirrus SR22 from Virginia on its way to South Bend for Saturday’s Notre Dame football game made a crash landing near the Allen-Adams County Line Friday afternoon.

Around 4 p.m., the Airport Authority contacted the Allen County Sheriff’s Department about an incoming plane having mechanical issues.

Soon after, first responders found the aircraft near the 17000 block of Brunson Road in a backyard.

We talked with a neighbor, Jarrett Kiess, who said he heard what sounded like a door close, and then a knock on the door.

It was the pilot and his female passenger asking for someone to call 911, who both made it out of the plane OK save minor cuts and bruises.

Investigators said the plane initially reported some mechanical issues in Ohio but the pilot wasn’t able to move on.

Then things took a turn for the worse, so the pilot deployed a parachute around 1,000 feet.

The pair was able to land safely in the yard near the Allen-Adams County line.

They were treated for minor injuries, and now the Federal Aviation Administration is investigating.

A neighbor alerted homeowner Greg Nott that a plane crash-landed in his backyard.

He is thankful that no one was seriously hurt.

“Especially with it being Friday the 13th. And they walk away. Both of them. Safe and sound. And that’s awesome,” Nott said.

Story and video ➤

No comments:

Post a Comment