Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pilot flew upside down to jump out of glider after mid-air collision

A glider pilot has told how he had to fly upside down in order to parachute to safety after a mid-air collision on Tuesday.

The man, who is understood to be a former paratrooper, was treated in hospital for minor injuries after two gliders collided at a height of 2000ft around 3pm.

The accident happened in the skies above the village of Kinnesswood, in Perth and Kinross, near to Portmoak Airfield in Scotlandwell — which is home to the Scottish Gliding Centre.

A farmer who spoke with the former paratrooper told STV News that he seemed slightly dazed and realized how lucky he was to walk away from the accident.

Callum Robertson recounted how the pilot, thought to be in his 60s, had lost control of his aircraft after the collision but managed to fly the glider upside down so that he could free himself from the cockpit and jump to safety.

He said he had parachuted out at height of 1400ft and managed to land safely, despite being badly shaken.

His glider crashed in a nearby field while the other aircraft, the pilot of which was unharmed, flew on for around a mile before making an emergency landing in another field.

Police Scotland attended the incident, around ten miles north of Kirkcaldy, and confirmed one pilot was taken to Victoria Hospital for treatment to minor injuries.

The British Gliding Association are expected to launch an investigation into the incident.

Story and Photo:   http://news.stv.tv

Scottish Gliding Centre:  http://www.scottishglidingcentre.com

One of the gliders crashed in a field.

The pilots of two gliders involved in a mid-air collision near Loch Leven escaped serious injury. 

 One of the pilots bailed out of his glider and parachuted to safety while the other was slightly injured making an emergency landing.

The incident, which was reported shortly after 3pm on Tuesday, happened not far from the Scottish Gliding Centre at Portmoak Airfield, Scotlandwell.

Residents reported seeing one glider coming in to crash land in the Grahamstone area with the other spotted near to the hillside at the village of Kinnesswood.

The collision prompted a major turnout by the emergency services, including four fire appliances from Perth, one from Kinross and two from Fife.

The ambulance was also called to Wester Balgedie near Portmoak where the injured pilot had come down.

The man was then taken to hospital for treatment.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said of the incident: “One glider impacted with the ground and the other made an emergency landing. The pilots of both gliders were alone in the aircraft.

“One pilot was uninjured and the other pilot has been conveyed to Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy for treatment, but it is believed that he has only minor injuries.”

At the Scottish Gilding Centre no one would comment on the incident, which will now be the subject of an inquiry to ascertain the cause.

An Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) spokesperson said: “The AAIB is aware of the incident and has referred it to the British Gliding Association.”

In September a 75-year-old pilot was treated for back injuries after a heavy landing at Portmoak that damaged his glider.

In 2012, 49-year-old Mark Dickson was killed when the wing of his glider clipped the ground at Portmoak.

An experienced pilot, an investigation concluded, Mr Dickson failed to release the winch cable when the wing tip touched the ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment