Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Glastar GS-1, N65EW: Fatal accident occurred September 02, 2017 at Sulphur Creek Ranch (ID74), Cascade, Valley County, Idaho

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entity:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Boise, Idaho

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdf


NTSB Identification: WPR17LA195
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, September 02, 2017 in Cascade, ID
Aircraft: WALKER EDGAR E GLASTAR, registration: N65EW
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On September 2, 2017, about 1030 mountain daylight time, an experimental amateur-built Glastar GS-1, N65EW, was destroyed when it impacted terrain during maneuvering flight above a federal wilderness about 15 miles east-southeast of Cascade, Idaho. The private pilot was seriously injured, and his pilot-rated passenger was fatally injured. The personal flight was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed.

According to the previous owner ("the seller") of the airplane, he lived in Idaho and based the airplane at Nampa Municipal Airport (MAN), Nampa, Idaho. About two weeks before the accident, he sold the airplane to another individual ("the buyer") who lived in Georgia. Several days before the accident, the buyer notified the seller that he was having a friend of his, who also lived in Georgia, come to Idaho to pick up the airplane and fly it back to Georgia. On September 1, the pilot met the seller at MAN to complete the transfer of the airplane. The seller offered to fly with the pilot in order to familiarize him with the airplane, but said that he could only do that if the seller could fly from the left seat, since he had never flown from the right seat. Alternatively, the seller also offered to provide a certified flight instructor (CFI) if the pilot preferred to fly from the left seat; the pilot opted for this course of action. Later that day, the pilot and CFI flew the airplane for about one and a half hours, after which the ownership transfer was completed. The pilot told the seller that he was leaving for Georgia the following morning, and did not mention any other flight plans to the seller. About 6pm the next day (September 2), the seller texted the pilot to ask how the return flight was progressing, and the pilot informed him of the accident.

According to the pilot, his cousin, who was also a pilot, lived in Idaho, and the two planned to take the airplane to a private backcountry airstrip, Sulfur Creek Ranch Airport, (ID74), Cascade, Idaho. At some point enroute to ID74, the pilot inadvertently flew into a "box canyon," and realized that the airplane was unable to out climb the terrain. He began executing a course reversal turn to escape, but the airplane stalled and impacted the ground. The pilot was able to use his mobile telephone to notify authorities of the accident. About 3 hours after the accident, a US Forest Service helicopter rendered assistance to the pilot. About an hour later, first responders were lowered to the pilot to prepare him for aerial extraction.

The wreckage was tightly contained on a rocky clearing in a forested area. The left wing was canted forward about 80 degrees, and the right wing was canted aft a similar amount. The two-blade propeller and hub had separated from the engine, and were located in a ravine about 150 feet forward of the wreckage. There was no fire. The impact site elevation was approximately 7,500 feet above mean sea level. According to the helicopter pilot who effected the recovery of the pilot, smoke from a nearby forest fire reduced visibility somewhat, but the smoke was "not an issue" of impediment or concern.

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records indicated that the pilot held a private pilot certificate with an airplane single-engine land rating. His most recent FAA second-class medical certificate was issued in February 2017. On his application for that certificate, the pilot indicated that he had a total flight experience of 998 hours. According to the seller, the pilot told him that he (the pilot) did not have any backcountry flight experience, but that he hoped to move to Idaho and begin gaining backcountry flying experience.

FAA records indicated that the airplane was manufactured in 1998, and had an empty weight of 1,331 lbs. The records indicated that the current seller had purchased the airplane in November 2016, and that he was the third owner. According to the seller, the airplane was equipped with a Lycoming O-320 series engine, and he had accumulated about 40 hours on the engine since he had had it partially overhauled a few months after he purchased the airplane. The seller stated that the maximum allowable gross weight was about 1,990 lbs., and that the total fuel capacity was 50 gallons. Fuel records at NAM indicated that the airplane was fueled with 38.9 gallons at about 5 pm on September 1, which was several hours after the ownership transfer was completed. 

Review of meteorological information indicated that visual meteorological conditions (VMC) existed at the accident locale about the time of the accident, and first responder reports indicated that the area remained VMC for most of the day. Based on the upper air sounding data for the accident site for 1000 local time, the temperature would have been 19.2 degrees C at the accident site elevation.

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email eyewitnessreport@ntsb.gov, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email assistance@ntsb.gov. 

David Henderson passed away suddenly on September 2, 2017, as a result of a small aircraft accident near Sulphur Creek Ranch, Idaho. A loving husband, father, son and brother, he will be dearly missed by his family, countless friends, and co-workers. David was born May 22, 1967, at St. Alphonsus Hospital in Boise, Idaho, the first of two children born to Al and Pat Henderson.

He attended Cole Elementary, Fairmont Junior High, and graduated Capital High School in 1985. David was a starting offensive guard on Capital's Championship football team, and was very active in the Young Life community. Following high school he attended the University of Idaho and later enlisted in the United States Navy, where he earned his degree from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, and worked as an air traffic controller at the Alameda NAS in California.

David moved back home to Boise where for the past 19 years he has been employed by Hewlett-Packard. His life was made complete when he met Tracy Jameson in 1998. They were married on January 9, 1999, and were blessed with three beautiful daughters.

David loved the Lord, and will always be remembered for his tremendously kind and generous heart. He quietly gave support and love to many people & families in need.

David is survived by his loving wife Tracy and three daughters Makenna, Faith and Hope; his parents Al and Pat Henderson; brother Dan and his wife Barbara and their son, Jack. He is survived by Jim and Sue Jameson, Tracy's parents, and Tracy's brother, Brad. There are many aunts, uncles, and cousins too numerous to mention who were important to David. 

A celebration of the gift of David's wonderful life will be held Saturday, September 16th at 1:00 p.m., at Vineyard Boise Church at 4950 N. Bradley St., Garden City, ID 83714. Please come in casual, bright attire, ready to laugh and share. No suits or mourning black! Funeral arrangements are being handled by Alden-Waggoner. In lieu of flowers, a memorial contribution can be made to Young Life, PO Box 4056, Boise, ID, 83711, or the Hope House, 7696 Old Bruneau Hwy, Marsing, ID 83639

CASCADE -- One man was killed and another injured when a small airplane crashed in Cascade Saturday morning.

The crash happened at 10:38 a.m. in a remote area near the Sulfur Creek Air Strip.

The Valley County Sheriff's Office says the pilot, 54-year-old Andrew D. Akin of Griffin, Georgia, told dispatchers his plane had stalled out and he had been forced to crash-land.

Akin said he was injured, and needed medical help. He also told the sheriff's office that his only passenger, 50-year-old David R. Henderson of Boise, was killed in the crash.

Sheriff's officials began working to find the wreckage and the injured man, pinging his cell phone to get a general location. A LifeFlight was then dispatched to see if they could reach the pilot.

After several more pings of the man's cellphone, however, his location was less clear. At 11:30 a.m., the United States Air Force contacted the sheriff's office with GPS information for the plane's emergency radio beacon. The pilot also called dispatch again, and was able to describe where he was.

After determining that the LifeFlight helicopter would not be able to rescue the pilot, the sheriff's office called in Two Bear Air out of Flathead County, Montana, while the LifeFlight and its crew waited at  Sulfur Creek Air Strip.

The sheriff's office also reached out to the Boise National Forest Dispatch Center, which was coordinating the fight against the Bearskin Fire.

A crew in a Forest Service helicopter spotted the wrecked plane at 1:20 p.m., and dropped a first-aid kit down to the pilot.

A little more than an hour later, Two Bear Air, lowered a rescue specialist down to the crash site to get the injured man. He was taken to the Cascade Airport, then flown to a local hospital by LifeFlight.

Henderson's body was recovered from the wrecked plane. The National Transportation Safety Board has been notified and will investigate the crash.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the 2 men involved in this crash," the sheriff's office wrote in a release.

Original article can be found here: http://www.ktvb.com

VALLEY COUNTY, ID - A Boise man is dead and a Georgia man is in the hospital following a weekend plane crash in Valley County.

About 130 a.m. Saturday, September 2nd, the Valley County Sheriff’s Office received a  9-1-1 transfer call from the Boise County Sheriff’s Office.

“The caller stated he was a pilot of a small airplane which had crashed near the Sulfur Creek Air Strip. (He said) his plane stalled and he was forced to crash land. The pilot stated he was injured and needed medical help. We were also told the sole passenger in the plane had died in the crash,” said valley County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Jason Speer.

The Valley County Sheriff’s Office Communications Center started working to dispatch rescuers to the crash site.

“We contacted the Boise County Sheriff’s Office and learned their Phase 2 9-1-1 equipment did not function correctly with this call. Contact with Verizon Wireless was made and a ping of the cell phone was conducted to get a general location of the pilot,” Speer explained. “Once GPS coordinates were received, the Valley County Sheriff’s Office requested Life Flight to launch -- to see if their crew could locate and provide medical assistance to the pilot. As further pings were conducted the location of the pilot was less clear.” 

About 11:30 a.m., the United States Air Force contacted the Valley County Communication Center and gave GPS location information on the plane.  “We also received another phone call from the pilot where he described his location. Given this latest information, it was clear Life Flight wouldn’t be able to affect the rescue of the pilot,” Speer said. 

Valley County Sheriff Patti Bolen then authorized the request for Two Bear Air out of Flathead County, Montana. “We provided this information to Life Flight, and they decided to land at the Sulfur Creek Airstrip to await Two Bear Air.  At that time, the Communications Center contacted the Boise National Forest Dispatch Center to advise we were bringing two helicopters into the area of Bearskin Fire Operations,” Speer said.    

About 1:20 p.m., a Forest Service helicopter crew located the crash and dropped a first aid kit to the pilot. “It was observed that the pilot was injured and needed assistance,” Speer stated. 

About an hour later, Two Bear Air lowered a rescue specialist down to the crash site and rescued the pilot.  He was then airlifted to the Cascade Airport and taken by Life Flight to Boise.

“Two Bear Air then transported a detective from the Valley County Sheriff’s Office to the crash site and lowered him and the rescue specialist down to the crash site,” Speer said. 

The deceased passenger was hoisted from the scene and transported to the Cascade Airport, where the Valley County Coroner took possession of the body.

The pilot has been identified as Andrew D. Akin, 54, of Griffin, Georgia.  The passenger has been identified as David R. Henderson, 50, of Boise. 

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash.

Original article can be found here ➤ http://www.kivitv.com

David R. Henderson, 50, of Boise was killed and Andrew D. Akin, 54, of Griffin, Ga. was injured Saturday when their aircraft went down somewhere near the Sulphur Creek Ranch airstrip.

The Valley County Sheriff’s Office released the men’s names Monday morning in a press statement describing the rescue effort. Dispatchers said the plane was attempting to make it to the airstrip before it crashed.

Akin, the pilot, was apparently able to call 911. Due to the remote, forested location of the crash, it took four hours for a mountain rescue crew out of Montana to retrieve him.

The circumstances of the crash remain under investigation, and the National Transportation Safety Board has investigators on the way, according to the sheriff’s office. Akin reportedly told dispatchers his plane stalled and he was forced to land it.

Dispatchers on Monday did not know where the plane was coming from before it crashed on its way to the airstrip.

The exact model of Akin’s plane was not clear, other than it was a personal plane. Photos show a small aircraft crashed amid trees on a mountainside.

Henderson died in the crash, Akin told dispatchers.

Akin’s call first reached Boise County’s 911 dispatch, which transferred him over to Valley County at 10:38 a.m.

Rescuers first tried to ping Akin’s cellphone to find his location. That apparently was not completely successful, but the sheriff’s office was able to instead use detailed GPS coordinates provided by the U.S. Air Force from an emergency radio beacon on the plane.

A traditional air ambulance wasn’t equipped for the terrain, so Valley County turned to Two Bear Air out of Montana, which specializes in mountain search and rescue.

A Forest Service helicopter flew over the area at about 1:20 p.m. and dropped off a first aid kit for Akin.

Two Bear Air arrived at 2:36 p.m. and flew Akin to Cascade, where paramedics with a ground ambulance cared for him until an air ambulance picked him up.

Two Bear Air also took a sheriff’s office detective to the crash site, and helped retrieve Henderson’s body.

Original article can be found here ➤ http://www.idahostatesman.com

No comments: