Thursday, April 26, 2018

Yakovlev Yak 52, N2YK, registered to and operated by Classic Aircraft Aviation Museum Inc: Accident occurred April 26, 2018 near Portland-Hillsboro Airport (KHIO), Washington County, Oregon

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entity: 
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Hillsboro, Oregon

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board 

Location: Hillsboro, OR
Accident Number: WPR18LA127
Date & Time: 04/26/2018, 1620 PDT
Registration: N2YK
Aircraft: YAKOVLEV YAK 52
Injuries: 2 Serious
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Ferry

On April 26, 2018, about 1620 Pacific daylight time, a Yakolev Yak52, N2YK, sustained substantial damage during an off-airport landing following a reported loss of engine power about 3 miles south of the Portland-Hillsboro Airport (HIO), Hillsboro, Oregon.  The airline transport pilot and pilot rated passenger sustained serious injuries.  The airplane was registered to and operated by Classic Aircraft Aviation Museum Inc. under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a ferry flight.  Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the cross-country flight, which originated from Hobby Field (77S), Creswell, Oregon, about 1530, with an intended destination of Scappoose Industrial Airpark (SPB), Scappoose, Oregon.

According to a pilot, who was flying in formation with the accident airplane, the flight was uneventful until west of Salem, Oregon, when the pilot of the accident airplane reported that the engine was misfiring.  The flight continued north, and as they were about 10 miles south of McMinnville Airport (MMV), McMinnville, Oregon, the pilot of the accident airplane informed the pilot that he might need to declare an emergency, however, did not specify the nature of the problem.  

The pilot stated that the flight continued north, despite his transmission to the accident pilot to land at MMV, with no response.  After the flight progressed north of MMV, the pilot observed the accident airplane descend to an altitude of about 150 feet above ground level while on a heading towards HIO.  The pilot stated that the accident airplane remained at that altitude for several minutes until it descended into tree covered terrain about 3 miles southwest of HIO.

Examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed that the fuselage and left wing were structurally damaged.  The airplane was recovered to a secure location for further examination.

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Manufacturer: YAKOVLEV
Registration: N2YK
Model/Series: YAK 52 NO SERIES
Aircraft Category: Airplane
Amateur Built: No
Operating Certificate(s) Held: None 

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site: Visual Conditions
Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: HIO, 208 ft msl
Observation Time: 1553
Distance from Accident Site: 4 Nautical Miles
Temperature/Dew Point: 29°C / 11°C
Lowest Cloud Condition: Clear
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 5 knots, Variable
Lowest Ceiling: None
Visibility:  10 Miles
Altimeter Setting: 29.83 inches Hg
Type of Flight Plan Filed: Unknown
Departure Point: Creswell, OR (77S)
Destination: Scappoose, OR (SPB) 

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 2 Serious
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Passenger Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Fire: None
Ground Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 2 Serious
Latitude, Longitude: 45.515556, -123.014444

Portland, OR -- The conditions of the pilot and passenger who survived a plane crash into an orchard outside Hillsboro are improving, according to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center.

A nursing supervisor told FOX 12 that 73-year-old Gary Hagstrom has been downgraded from "critical condition" to "serious condition." The other man who survived, 88-year-old Gennaro Avolio, is now in "fair condition."

Witnesses said the engine wasn't running and the plane hit a tree before going down.

The two men were pulled by firefighters from the YAK 52 Thursday afternoon. The Washington County Sheriff said the plane was having engine trouble before it crashed.

Sam Peck first heard of his stepfather's crash when one of Hagstrom's friends called him, concerned the plane he was flying might have gone down. Then Peck got a call from the hospital – confirming the devastating news.

"I was shaken up," Peck said. "It was so scary."

Since then, it's been an emotional roller-coaster for the family. They now feel grateful it seems the worst is behind them, and Hagstrom should make a full recovery.

"(The doctors) said he's very lucky to be alive and his guardian angels are working overtime," Peck said.

Peck said Hagstrom is on a ventilator, and although the family hasn't yet been able to speak him, his stepfather seems to be in good spirits. Still, the road to recovery will be a long one.

"He has two cracked vertebrae -- up in the chest area -- a couple cracked ribs, broken sternum, bump on the head from hitting the canopy a couple times, and a broken femur ball socket," Peck said.

Peck said Hagstrom was flying the World War II era Yak 52 as a favor for its owner. The plane belongs to the Classic Aircraft Aviation Museum in Hillsboro.

Hagstrom and Avolio planned to fly it from Creswell to Scappoose, until they had engine trouble, and rerouted – hoping to get to the Hillsboro Airport.

"He was trying to make that field (beyond the orchard), but the gravity got the better of him," Peck said. "It was because of his flight hours that he was just able to guide it in as best as he could."

And Hagstrom is no novice pilot.

Peck estimates his stepfather has about 50 years experience flying: he was a Navy pilot during the Vietnam War and then flew many years for American Airlines.

"I know he's a darn good pilot," Peck said, adding that his stepfather's skill likely saved both men's lives.

And although Hagstrom had never flown the Yak 52, Peck said he was familiar with the Russian plane, and even has a similar one sitting in his hanger.

The CJ-6 now waiting for him at home.

"He's stubborn, so he'll try to get back in the air as soon as he can," Peck said.

Peck said he believes his stepfather would have completed a full safety check before takeoff.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board are still investigation the cause of the crash.

HILLSBORO, OR (KPTV) - Two men were seriously hurt after a plane they were flying came crashing down just outside Hillsboro Thursday afternoon.

The men, ages 73 and 88, were pulled from the wreckage and rushed to local hospitals, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office said. One of the men was transported in a helicopter and the other in an ambulance. 

Both are in serious condition, according to deputies.

The crash occurred in an orchard in the 1000 block of Southwest 331st Avenue.

Workers at the Hillsboro Airport warned Washington County dispatchers that the single-engine Yak-52 aircraft was experiencing engine trouble, the sheriff’s office said.

Washington County and Cornelius deputies responded to the crash scene, climbed into the wreckage and administered first aid to the two men until emergency medical crews arrived.

James Wart, a man who witnessed the crash, said he was working at a nearby fruit stand when he heard the plane coming down. Once the plane came into his line of vision, he says he knew something was seriously wrong. 

"He had it level and stable, but he had no power, so there was nothing he could do," Wart said. “Came over the top of us and did a turn and went over and hit the fir trees and spun into the ground.”

Another neighbor, Joe Van Dyke, also saw the crash.

“It was coming down, looked like it was going to crash, and it hit the fir trees over there and ripped half the wing off and went into the fruit orchard -- my neighbor’s fruit orchard.”

Van Dyke said he and his son-in-law jumped into an ATV to go help. 

At first, they thought the pilot might be dead.

"He had blood coming out his nose and he was cut up pretty bad and was just kind of limped over the front of the fuselage, and the back guy was actually moving and talking," Van Dyke said.

Records show the plane is owned by the Classic Aircraft Aviation Museum in Hillsboro.

It’s not clear where the pilot was headed before the crash.

No other injuries were reported. The sheriff’s office says no property damage was reported.

Other agencies on scene Thursday included Hillsboro Fire and Rescue, Forest Grove Fire & Rescue and Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are investigating. 

Story, video and photo gallery ➤

UPDATE: Two men were extricated and transported to the hospital with serious injuries.

Two men were hospitalized Thursday afternoon, April 26, after a small aircraft of which they were the sole occupants crashed in between Hillsboro and Cornelius.

According to the Washington County Sheriff's Office, the single-engine plane went down at 4:20 p.m. Thursday. Cassandra Ulven, a spokeswoman for Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, said the two occupants were alive and conscious, with firefighters working to free them. Deputies also assisted in providing medical attention, the Sheriff's Office stated.

Deputy Jeff Talbot said at 5 p.m. that both occupants had been extricated. One was transported by ground ambulance and the other was transported by LifeFlight air ambulance, Talbot said. Their injuries were characterized as serious.

The men are 73 and 88. Their relationship was not immediately clear.

The plane crashed near the intersection of Southwest Tualatin Valley Highway and 331st Avenue, according to Ulven.

The craft was identified as a Yakovlev Yak-52, a type of high-performance single-propeller plane originally built as a Soviet Air Force trainer.

According to Bruce Montgomery, a spokesman for Hillsboro Fire & Rescue, it was a challenge for emergency responders to access the site because of difficult terrain. The plane landed in a filbert orchard, Montgomery said.

The cause of the crash is not yet clear. Montgomery said witnesses reported it came in from the west and the engine may not have been running. An investigation is underway.

Traffic control at the Hillsboro Airport received notice from the plane's pilot that he was declaring a state of emergency, according to an audio recording released Thursday evening. The Washington County Sheriff's Office said dispatchers were notified by the airport that the aircraft was experiencing engine trouble about two minutes prior to the crash at 4:20 p.m.

James Wart, who said he witnessed the crash, said the plane's wing struck the treetops and it passed directly over a powerline.

"There was no engine," Wart said. "He couldn't have been doing more than 20 mph. It was nice and smooth. That was the amazing part, was how controlled the landing was until he hit the tree."

Wart praised the plane's pilot for maintaining control.

"He's a good pilot," said Wart, who was working at a nearby berry stand off Tualatin Valley Highway when he saw the crash. "Any landing you can walk away from is good."

No injuries or damage were reported on the ground, the Washington County Sheriff's Office stated.

Hillsboro Fire & Rescue took the lead in responding to the crash, with other emergency agencies — including the Washington County Sheriff's Office and TVF&R — also on the scene.

The incident is under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Original article can be found here ➤

Two men were seriously injured Thursday afternoon after the small passenger plane they were aboard crashed into an orchard outside of Hillsboro, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

The crash was reported around 4:20 p.m. in an orchard at Duyck Family Farms Produce near TV Highway and SW 331st Avenue. The plane was approaching the Hillsboro Airport when it experienced engine trouble, the sheriff's office said.

Responding deputies rendered first aid to the two men inside the single-engine Yakovlev Yak-52 plane until medics arrived.

Crews worked to get them out of the plane. One person was taken to the hospital in a Life Flight helicopter. The other was taken to the hospital in an ambulance.

The sheriff's office said the men are 73 and 88 years old. They were both in serious condition Thursday night.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are investigating the crash.

Story, video and photo gallery ➤

No comments:

Post a Comment