Friday, January 5, 2018

American Airlines, Boeing 737-800: Incident occurred January 05, 2018 at Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (KSJC), San Jose, Santa Clara County, California

Audio:  Pilot reports seeing flames coming from American Airlines Flight 1318. 

An American Airlines flight from San Jose to Dallas was temporarily delayed Friday morning after a flight crew on another aircraft reported seeing flames from one of the jetliner's engines.

The Boeing 737-800 twin-engine plane was on the runway preparing to take off when a pilot on a Delta Air Lines flight lined up behind the American Airlines jet alerted air traffic controllers to a possible problem.

Pilot reports seeing flames coming fromAmerican Airlines Flight 1318.

According to airport radio traffic recordings, the Delta pilot first attempted to alert the American jet: "This is Delta right behind you. Looks like you got flame in your right engine, your No. 2 engine."

An air traffic controller repeated, "American 1318, be advised the aircraft behind you reports you have a flame coming out of one of your engines. Delta 2988 transmit to American and tell them which engine it is."

Story and audio ➤

SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — An engine malfunctioned as an American Airlines flight to Dallas was on the taxiway at Mineta San Jose International Airport early Friday, forcing the 737 to return to the gate, officials said.

Flight 1318 was preparing for its scheduled 6:05 a.m. take-off and “was taxiing the runway when the engine shutdown,” said Mineta San Jose International spokeswoman Vicki Day.

American Airlines said “another aircraft reporting seeing something (from the engine)… as flight 1318 was taxiing for departure.”

Day said “there was fuel on the engine” which triggered the return to the terminal.

The aircraft was checked out by the airport, returned to the gate, and further inspected by our maintenance team. The flight took off for Dallas/Fort Worth at 7:57 a.m. PT.

The plane was returned to the gate where passengers were removed and maintenance crews examined the engine.

Meanwhile, airport crews examined the runway for any debris that may have fallen off the plane.

No injuries were reported to crew or passengers. The flight took off for Dallas/Fort Worth at 7:57 a.m.

Original article can be found here ➤

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Better safe than sorry. That's the way the "pros" handle that!