Friday, November 10, 2017

Socata TB-200, N207GT, operated by Tipton Tampico LLC: Accident occurred November 10, 2017 in Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entity:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Baltimore, Maryland

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Tipton Tampico LLC:

Location: Annapolis, MD
Accident Number: ERA18LA021
Date & Time: 11/10/2017, 1520 EST
Registration: N207GT
Aircraft: SOCATA TB200
Injuries: 3 None
Flight Conducted Under:  Part 91: General Aviation - Personal

On November 10, 2017, about 1520 eastern standard time, a Socata TB200, N207GT, operated by Tipton Tampico LLC, was substantially damaged during a forced landing near Annapolis, Maryland. The commercial pilot and two passengers were not injured. The personal flight was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the flight that departed Tipton Airport (FME), Fort Meade, Maryland, about 1430.
The pilot reported that he was conducting a sightseeing flight with his two children around the eastern shore of Maryland. About 45 minutes after departure, the airplane was at an altitude of 1,500 ft and about 25 miles southeast of FME, when the pilot felt a very light and subtle vibration from the engine. Shortly thereafter, the propeller rpm increased to 2,700 rpm uncommanded and was "pegged at the redline." He followed the checklist and reduced engine power in an attempt to remain below redline rpm , but it had little effect. The airplane was 11 miles southeast of FME when the engine vibration increased, and the cockpit started filling-up with smoke; he diverted to Lee Airport (ANP) Annapolis, Maryland. The pilot reported that the engine gauges were all "indicating green" during this time, but once the situation started deteriorating rapidly, he focused on flying the airplane and did not recall reading the gauges again.

Immediately after turning south towards ANP at around 1,400 feet, the engine experienced a total loss of power. The pilot realized that the airplane would not be able reach the airport and he looked for a place to land. He maintained 70 knots in a glide and found an exit ramp on a state highway that appeared to be relatively straight and free of vehicles. The airplane touched down normally on the road, but struck a light pole and a guardrail before coming to rest on the grassy shoulder of the road.

Examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector revealed that both wings were sheared, the engine detached from the fuselage, and the right horizontal stabilator was crushed.

According to FAA records, the airplane was issued a standard airworthiness certificate in the normal category on September 24, 2001. It was a four-place, internally braced low-wing airplane, that was equipped with fixed tricycle landing gear, and a Lycoming IO-360, 200-horsepower engine with a two-blade metal constant-speed propeller.

The weather conditions reported at FME, 12-miles northeast of the accident site, at 1524, included wind from 350° at 12 knots gusting to 17 knots , visibility 10 miles, clear skies, temperature 3° C, dew point -9° C, and an altimeter setting of 30.38 inches of mercury.

The airplane was recovered from the accident site and retained for additional examination.

FORT MEADE, Md. - The pilot who successfully landed a small plane along a highway during rush hour is recounting his experience to FOX 5.

The incident happened last Friday on Route 50 in Annapolis at around 3 p.m.
Christopher Curry, 32, told FOX 5 his sons, 4 and 8, got out of school early that day so he decided to take them up for a flight to see the fall foliage.

“I love doing fun things with them,” said Curry.

He has had his pilot’s license since he was 19. Curry also flew Harrier Jets in the Marine Corps.

It was about 40 minutes into the flight from Tipton Airport in Fort Meade when things started to go wrong. Curry noticed a slight shudder in the engine compartment. As he turned back toward the closest runway at Lee Airport in Edgewater, the nose of the plane started vibrating violently and the cabin filled with smoke.

He was still 14 miles from the airport, but Curry knew the plane wouldn’t go that far at that altitude, so he began to look for a safe landing space.

“I see a landfill there,” explained Curry. “I see some machinery, some people working and it is uneven terrain so I am thinking that is not going to work. And I am looking at the highway right there. [I realize] it’s either the trees or the highway. And the trees, the airplane will probably break apart and crumble up.”

But the highway was packed with rush hour drivers.

“I am looking at my airspeed to make sure I don’t fall out of the sky,” added Curry. “I am looking at the lanes and I see an off-ramp that has just enough room for me to set the plane down.”

It was a gamble.

“For all I know we could be knocked out cold as soon as we impact the ground, or a car could come out of the bend and hit us,” said Curry.

In avoiding the cars, Curry clipped a light pole and guardrail, which whipped them around and tore off the wings. The cockpit remained intact.

“I kind of had my instinctive parental driver arm kind of come down over my son’s chest,” added Curry. “We stop. I look back. The boys are okay. They are not crying. No one seemed completely freaked out. I’m like, ‘Hey, we’re alive!’”

Curry said during the ordeal, he talked his 8-year-old son through the process to keep him calm. His 4-year-old slept in the back.

“I am just so thankful to everyone who ran over and helped us,” said Curry. “They were all so nice. They gave my sons jackets to keep them warm.”

Despite the close call, Curry and his sons say they will fly again, after taking a break.

The Federal Aviation Administration is still investigating what went wrong with the plane, which is a single-engine Socata TB200.

Story, video and photo gallery:

A Marine Corps pilot returning to Tipton Airport from a pleasure flight over the Eastern Shore with his sons on Friday made an emergency crash landing on the ramp off Interstate 97 near Annapolis.

The pilot and two children aboard were not injured when the rented single-engine airplane came down.

Maryland State Police said Friday night the pilot, Christopher Curry, 32, landed the plane after it lost RPMs as he was returning to Tipton Airport.

Police said the plane clipped a guardrail and a light pole, then crashed. A wing was ripped from the plane, but the passenger compartment was completely intact, police said.

Terence Russell, whose company leases the Socata Tobago XL, said Curry is a former Harrier jet pilot now stationed at Fort George G. Meade.

Capt. Russ Davies, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County Fire Department, posted information on Twitter shortly after 3:30 p.m. that the plane crashed on the ramp from I-97 South to Aris T. Allen Boulevard.

A Maryland Department of Transportation traffic camera photo showed a plane near a wooded area just off the roadway with police and fire engines on the roadway. The camera was shut off shortly after the crash.

A Marine Corps pilot returning to Tipton Airport from a pleasure flight over the Eastern Shore with his sons on Friday made an emergency crash landing on the ramp off Interstate 97 near Annapolis.

The pilot and two children aboard were not injured when the rented single-engine airplane came down.

Original article can be found here ➤

A small Socata plane crashed this afternoon on Route 50 Eastbound near the junction with I-97.

Fire crews were dispatched around 3:30pm for a small plane that had crashed. Witnesses on the scene said that the pilot and two passengers were uninjured. According to witnesses, the pilot had a military-type uniform and the passengers appeared to be children. Anne Arundel County Fire Department EMS evaluated them at the scene.

The Socata TB-200 is registered to Tipton Tampico, LLC out of Tipton Airport at Ft. Meade. According to their corporate registration, Tipton Tampico is a LLC engaged in providing rental and operation of aircraft.

As expected, traffic around the scene is snarled and motorists are advised to avoid the area is possible. Expect road closures for several more hours (4:47pm).

Original article ➤

Authorities in Maryland say no one was hurt when a small plane crashed on an interstate exit ramp near the state capital.

Maryland State Police say the plane, with three people on board, took off from Tipton Airport in Fort Meade, Maryland, on Friday afternoon.

Troopers say the pilot reported he was losing power and made an emergency landing along Interstate 97 near Annapolis, Maryland.

Anne Arundel County Fire Department officials say paramedics checked an adult and two children who were on the plane and said they were not hurt.

Photos posted on the department's Twitter feed show the plane just off the road along a wooded area. The tail number is clearly visible.

Maryland State Police are investigating.

Original article can be found here ➤

A small plane crashed onto an interstate ramp near Annapolis, Maryland, on Friday and three people walked away unharmed, officials say. 

The single-engine plane crashed Friday afternoon on a highway ramp leading from southbound I-97 to Route 665, near busy Route 50. With two children on board, the pilot had engine trouble.

Remarkably, no one on the plane or on the road was hurt, Lt. Erik Kornmeyer of the Anne Arundel County Fire Department said live on News4. 

"We do not believe they're going to need further medical attention," he said about the three people on board the plane.

Chopper4 footage showed a man in uniform and two little boys alongside the plane.

The pilot took off from Tipton Airfield in Fort Meade and was trying to return, Maryland State Police said. 

But he had engine trouble and tried to made an emergency landing. 

The plane crashed onto the exit ramp and slammed into a guardrail, state police said. Dramatic Chopper4 footage shows the plane's wings snapped off.

No other vehicles were involved, and no one was reported to be hurt. 

Crews hauled off parts of the plane with a tow truck. Also, they are evaluating a small fuel leak at the crash site. 

"The containment of that fuel is what our major concern is," Kornmeyer said. 

The fixed wing plane was registered in Anne Arundel County, federal records show. 

Original article ➤

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — A single-engine plane crashed Friday afternoon in a wooded area alongside Interstate 97 at U.S. Route 50.

Maryland State Police said the pilot took off from Tipton Airfield and was trying to return. The pilot advised that he lost engine RPMs and made an emergency landing around 3:30 p.m.

The pilot successfully landed the plane on the Maryland Route 665 exit ramp from southbound I-97. The plane struck a guardrail; No other vehicles involved.

An adult and two children were evaluated, but no injuries were reported, Anne Arundel County fire officials said.

Fire officials said crews were evaluating a small fuel leak.

Original article can be found here ➤

No comments: