Thursday, November 02, 2017

Cessna 140, N72399: Accident occurred October 30, 2017 near Jefferson County International Airport (0S9), Port Townsend, Jefferson County, Washington

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities: 
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Renton, Washington

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

NTSB Identification: WPR18LA020
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, October 30, 2017 in Port Townsend, WA
Aircraft: CESSNA 140, registration: N72399
Injuries: 1 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On October 30, 2017, about 1150 Pacific daylight time, N72399, a Cessna 140, was substantially damaged following a total loss of engine power and subsequent forced landing about 0.4 nautical miles east-southeast of the Port Townsend/Jefferson County International Airport (0S9), Port Townsend, Washington. The commercial pilot, the sole occupant, sustained minor injuries. The local flight was being operated in accordance with 14 Code of Federal Regulation Part 91, and a flight plan was not filed. The flight originated from 0S9 about 20 minutes prior to the accident.

In a telephone interview with the National Transportation Safety Board investigator-in-charge on the day following the accident, the pilot reported that he had purchased the airplane two days prior to the accident, October 28th. He then flew it briefly on both October 28th and October 29th, at which time he observed no issues with the airplane. The pilot stated that on the morning of the accident and during the preflight inspection of the airplane, the left fuel tank was full, 12 gallons, and the right fuel tank had 8 gallons remaining; the fuel selector was in the right tank position for takeoff. The pilot further stated that during the engine runup everything checked out normal, after which he departed on runway 09 to do some touch-and-go takeoffs and landings. Having completed three takeoffs and landings and during initial climb on the fourth takeoff, and at an altitude of about 200 feet above ground level, the engine lost power, then completely quit. The pilot stated that he immediately switched over from the right tank to the left tank position, however, at such a low altitude he did not have time to attempt a restart of the engine. During the forced landing, the pilot impacted a stand of trees before coming to rest on the ground and on its left side. The airplane sustained substantial damage to the left wing and fuselage.

The airplane was recovered to secured storage facility for further examination.

PORT TOWNSEND — A Port Townsend man escaped serious injury when the Cessna 140 he was flying crashed near Jefferson County International Airport on Monday, authorities said.

Witnesses reported seeing the small plane sputter, stall and crash into trees shortly after takeoff at about 12:47 p.m., East Jefferson Fire-Rescue officials said.

The plane came to a rest behind Lexar Homes at 92 Kala Square Place, which is about 2,000 feet from the east end of the runway.

The pilot, whose name was not immediately available, had exited the cockpit and was trying to shut off the fuel supply when firefighters arrived.

“I think he was very lucky to have survived without more serious injuries,” East Jefferson Fire-Rescue spokesman Bill Beezley said in a telephone interview.

The pilot was treated for minor injuries by firefighter-paramedics and was taken to Jefferson Healthcare for further evaluation, Beezley said.

There were no other occupants in the Cessna 140.

The 1946 aircraft was reported to have been purchased by the pilot Saturday, Beezley said.

Witnesses said the engine was completely off before the crash.

The Federal Aviation Administration was investigating, Jefferson County Sheriff David Stanko said.

Beezley said the plane missed a structure by about 25 feet after the emergency landing.

“It hit a tree with its left wing, and I think that kind of spun it around,” Beezley said.

“It did like a horizontal cartwheel and landed near a fence.”

The two-seat cockpit was not severely damaged.

Original article :

1 comment:

  1. This guy apparently did not see the red part of the gas gauge in the lower 1/4 of the tank where it says "NO TAKE OFF". 140s quit on take off if you try it on the low tank. If you're lucky, it will hesitate a time or two before it really quits.