Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Cessna 150G, N3875J: Fatal accident occurred September 20, 2017 in Rhine, Telfair County, Georgia

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Atlanta, Georgia
Continental Motors Inc; Lucedale, Mississippi
Textron Aviation; Wichita, Kansas

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

John K. Barron:

NTSB Identification: ERA17FA330
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, September 20, 2017 in Rhine, GA
Aircraft: CESSNA 150G, registration: N3875J
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On September 20, 2017, about 0605 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 150G, N3875J, was substantially damaged when it collided with terrain shortly after takeoff from a private airstrip near Rhine, Georgia. The student pilot, who was also the registered owner of the airplane was fatally injured. Night visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the personal flight conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. No flight plan was filed for the flight that was destined for Turner County Airport (75J), Ashburn, Georgia.

The student pilot was scheduled to take his private pilot checkride the following day in St. Simon's Island, Georgia. On the morning of the accident, he planned to pick up his flight instructor in Ashburn before flying to St. Simon's. Witnesses, who were employed by the pilot and worked at his business adjacent to the airstrip, reported that they heard the airplane depart his private grass airstrip to the southeast about 0600. They said the airplane made a left 360° turn before they turned their attention away. Another witness heard the airplane depart followed shortly after by the sound of a crash. The student pilot's cousin and uncle, who were both certificated pilots, initiated an air and ground search and located the airplane via the airplane's emergency locator transmitter (ELT) about 0710.

The student pilot co-owned the private airstrip from which he departed. According to a family member, the private grass runway was about 4,200 ft long, oriented southwest/northeast, and partially lit with solar lights placed every 200 ft. The student pilot was known to taxi to the end of the runway and depart to the southwest. After departure, he always made a 360° left turn over the runway for safety purposes before turning on course for his destination.

The airplane came to rest in wooded terrain just north of the private airstrip. The initial impact point was an approximately 80 ft tall pine tree. As the airplane descended, it continued to impact trees until it came to rest about 70 ft from where it first contacted the trees. Several tree branches were strewn along the wreckage path. Several of these tree limbs were fractured and exhibited 45° angular cuts. These cuts were flat and exhibited black paint transfer marks.

The main wreckage came to rest upright with the tail section bent over the top of the airplane. All major components of the airplane were accounted for on-scene. Both wings sustained extensive leading-edge impact damage. The center section of wing had partially separated from the airframe. A small section of the right outboard wing, along with the tip, separated from the wing and was found adjacent to the right wing. The left-wing tip separated and was found several feet from the main wreckage.

Flight control cable continuity was established for all flight controls to the cockpit. The right-wing aileron cable was found separated. The fractured ends were frayed consistent with overload stresses. The flaps were fully retracted. The elevator trim tab was positioned 5° tab down (nose up).

The right and left-wing fuel caps were secure, but the right-wing fuel tank was breached. Fuel was noted draining from the airplane when it was recovered. A fuel receipt found in the airplane revealed the pilot had purchased 20 gallons of 100LL aviation gasoline from a local airport the day before the accident. The fuel selector was in the "on" position. The gascolator remained attached to the firewall. The gascolator bowl contained some fuel and the screen was absent of debris. The carburetor was removed from the engine and the bowl was empty of fuel.

The four-cylinder engine remained attached to the airframe and the two-bladed propeller remained attached to the engine. One blade was bent aft and exhibited distortion at the blade tip. The other blade was bent aft.

The pilot held a student pilot certificate. His last Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) third-class medical certificate was issued on April 13, 2017. A review of his logbook revealed that he began flight training on April 4, 2017. As of September 19, 2017, he had logged a total of 236 flight hours, all of which, were in the accident airplane. The student pilot logged 8.3 hours of night time; however, none of those flights included taking off or landing at his private airstrip at night.

At 0635, the weather conditions reported at Fitzgerald Airport (FZG), Fitzgerald, Georgia, which was located about 16 nautical miles southwest of the accident site, included wind calm, visibility 3 miles, mist, clear skies, temperature 22°, dew point 22°, and an altimeter setting of 30.02 inches of mercury.

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email

A plane crashed in Telfair County, killing 44-year-old John Kyle Barron, according to Telfair County Sheriff Chris Steverson. 

Gabrielle Dawkins sat down with Barron's family as they shared their lasting memories.

“The last thing he told me was good night, and I love you,” said Kole Barron. “He was a good man.”

Kole Barron's father was killed in a plane crash early Wednesday morning about a quarter of a mile away from highway 117.

“They said he was unresponsive, and I just fell to the ground in tears; it was horrible,” says Barron.

Telfair County Sheriff, Chris Steverson, believes the plane crashed between 6:15 and 6:30 Wednesday morning, moments after take-off.

“The plane was destroyed completely,” says Steverson.

His family says that he took lessons three to four times a week for about nine months.

Brandi Williams, Barron's sister, says she is going to miss her older brother.

“I didn't really want people to watch the news and see a plane crash," Williams said. "I want them to know that there was a man behind the crash."

People in the community say Barron would help anyone in need.

“He's a legend. There's nobody that loved harder or work harder than he did. Kyle would do anything for anybody. If you couldn't buy it to make it happen, he would build it.” Barron said.

“He's a go-getter and he'll make things happen especially for people he loved.”

As for Barron, the memories that he will cherish is his father’s go getter attitude.

"You can do anything,” says Barron. “You just have to do it.”

He leaves behind a wife, two daughters and a 16-year-old son.

Barron's body is going to the GBI crime lab for an autopsy.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation.

Story and video:

RHINE, Ga. -- A man died Wednesday morning in a small plane crash in Telfair County.

Telfair County Sheriff Chris Steverson said that the Cessna 150 crashed between 6:15 and 6:30 a.m. in a wooded area off of Highway 117.

He said that the only person on board, John Kyle Barron, died in the crash and that the plane was completely destroyed.

He said Barron, who was a student pilot, was headed to meet his flight instructor and crashed on his own property.

Steverson said Barron, a well-known local business owner, leaves behind a wife and children.

"It's just a tremendous loss for our entire community," he said.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating.

TELFAIR COUNTY, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – A man was killed after his plane crashed on a private runway off Highway 117 in Telfair County Wednesday morning.

44-year-old John Kyle Barron took off in his plane around 6:15 a.m. and crashed moments after going airborne, according to Telfair County Sheriff Chris Steverson. Barron died on impact. Steverson said there was heavy fog at the time of takeoff, which might have contributed to the crash.

Steverson says Barron was a student-pilot who was working on getting his pilot’s license. He had his own private plane and runway. There were no other passengers or injuries.

The crash is under investigation.

Original article can be found here ➤

UPDATE: The pilot killed in a crash Wednesday morning in Telfair County has been identified.

He is John Kyle Barron, 44, a student pilot. He was killed shortly after takeoff, according to Telfair County Sheriff Chris Steverson.

Telfair County coroner Jarvis Barnes said Barron is from Rhine and died on impact, sometime before 7:30 a.m. She said he flew his single-engine plane from a small private airstrip in the China Hill section of the county.

She said the GBI and the National Transportation Safety Board are both investigating the crash.

The Telfair County Sheriff says they're investigating a small-plane crash near Milan.

Sheriff Chris Steverson says it happened off Highway 117, near Sharon Baptist Church.

He said the accident involved a small private plane.

Story and video ➤

Representatives from the FAA and NTSB are on their way to Telfair County after a local pilot was killed in a crash after takeoff early Wednesday.

Just after 6:15 a.m., the Cessna 150 went down into the woods off River Road near Rhine, Telfair County Sheriff Chris Steverson said.

“Witnesses say the plane took off and several seconds later they saw it go down,” Steverson said.

John Kyle Barron, 44, had taken off from a private airstrip, Steverson said.

Barron, whose family has a 20-year mobile home services business in Rhine, was pronounced dead at the scene.

News of the crash spread quickly on social media, prompting calls for prayer for Barron’s family and friends.

In addition to federal aviation and transportation investigators, the GBI has been called in to investigate the fatal crash, Steverson said.

The crash happened in the woods off Ga. 117, southeast of Rhine.

Barron leaves behind a wife, a son and two young daughters.

Original article can be found here ➤