Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Robinson R22, ZK-IHA: Fatal accident occurred March 27, 2017 in Reefton, New Zealand

Noel Edward Wilson

NTSB Identification: WPR17WA083

Accident occurred Monday, March 27, 2017 in Reefton, New Zealand
Aircraft: ROBINSON R22, registration:
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

The foreign authority was the source of this information.

On March 27, 2017, about 0345 Universal Time, a Robinson R22, New Zealand registration ZK-IHA, impacted forested terrain about 5.5 miles north of Reefton, West Coast. The pilot, the sole occupant was fatally injured, and the helicopter was substantially damaged. It was reported that the purpose of the flight was a private hunting flight.

The investigation is under the jurisdiction of the Government of New Zealand. This report is for information purposes only and contains only information released by the Government of New Zealand; case AO-2017-002. Further information pertaining to this accident may be obtained from:

Transport Accident Investigation Commission

P.O. Box 10-323

Wellington 6143
New Zealand
Tel.: (64) 4-473-0199 (24 hours)
(64) 4-473-3112
Fax: (64) 4-499-1510

The family of a helicopter pilot killed in a crash near Reefton say he was a "West Coaster through and through".

Noel Edward Wilson, known as Grumbles, died when his helicopter crashed near the top of a hill just on the edge of bush about 9 kilometres northeast of Reefton. 

His sister, Carol Wilson, said the 52-year-old's death had sent ripples through the small community of Reefton. 

"[He was] a West Coaster through and through," she said.

"He grew up with a love of flying and outdoor life and followed his childhood dream of being a pilot. He flew everything from microlights, gyrocopters and fixed wing to helicopters.

"He expanded this passion by teaching others how to fly. Noel was an experienced pilot and took every opportunity to be in the sky."

Wilson is survived by his son Travis, partner Lynda van Barneveld​, parents Noel and Doreen, sisters Suzanne and Carol, and nephews Ky, Raine, Cobi and Tarn.

"The family would like to pass on their thanks to family and friends for their support during this time," she said. 

A Rescue Coordination Centre spokeswoman said they received a distress beacon at 6.45pm on Monday, March 27th.

Searchers found Wilson, the sole occupant, dead when they arrived.

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) opened an inquiry into the circumstances of the crash on Tuesday.

A spokesman said two investigators were still at the crash site collecting evidence on Friday, but the wreckage was lifted by helicopter from the crash site late Thursday. 

"It has since been loaded onto a truck and is expected to arrive at the commission's technical facility in Wellington [Friday] afternoon for further study," he said. 

It was too early to say what caused the crash.

The crash is one of four involving Robinson helicopters that are under investigation by the commission. 

There have been 14 crashes, killing 18 people, involving Robinson helicopters since 1996. 

The TAIC put Robinson helicopters on its watchlist in October after concerns about the number of crashes involving "mast bumping". It was also concerned about the risks of flying Robinson helicopters in mountainous terrain and difficult weather conditions.

Mast bumping refers to contact between an inner part of a main rotor blade and the main rotor drive shaft. Mast bumping usually results in the helicopter breaking up in flight, which is fatal for those on board. 

The TAIC recommended all pilots receive proper training in the causes, dangers, and prevention of mast bumping.

The Department of Conservation suspended its use of Robinson helicopters in November "to protect staff, volunteers, and contractors".

There are about 300 Robinsons registered in New Zealand.

Story and photo gallery:

No comments:

Post a Comment