Sunday, November 26, 2017

Mooney M20D Master, C-FESN

After rescue crews suspended their search for a plane that dropped from radar on the way to Edmonton, the families of the couple on board are trying to raise funds to keep the search going.

Back on Saturday, November 25, the plane took off from Penticton at about 2:30 p.m., and the Victoria Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre (JRCC Victoria) received an alert about eight hours later. A signal from the pilot’s cellphone was picked up off a cell tower northeast of Revelstoke, B.C.

In the days that followed, aircraft from the Royal Canadian Air Force and Parks Canada flew about 120 hours and covered more than 22,000 square kilometres in the areas around the plane’s last known location in the search for the plane and the two people on board.

CTV News later confirmed the name of the pilot: Dominic Neron, 28, from Spruce Grove, and his passenger was identified as his girlfriend: Ashley Bourgeault, 31.

On Monday, December 4 at about 4:30 MT, JRCC Victoria suspended their search for the single-engine plane and the case was turned over to the RCMP.

Now, the families of the two people on board are trying to raise funds in order to keep the search going.

Bourgeault’s family is accepting donations through email money transfer to: cajoux@telus.net.

Neron’s sister Tammy set up a GoFundMe page on Tuesday, December 5.

Pilot Dominic Neron and his passenger Ashley Bourgeault

The pair were travelling in this airplane when they went missing. One thing the family asks is for Revelstoke community members to think if they can recall seeing a red/burgundy plane on the afternoon of the 25th, probably within the hour after it left Penticton at 2:30 p.m. Family said other sightings had been ruled out because of the colour of the plane; at this point, they just hope someone may have useful information.


A CH-149 Cormorant helicopter departs from Revelstoke to search on Friday afternoon.


Members of the families of Dominic Neron and Ashley Bourgeault join friends and Revelstoke residents after arriving here to keep the search for the missing pair going.


The families provided many maps, documents and images of the search effort, including this one said to depict flight paths as yellow lines. There were other maps with similar depictions. We don’t have exact details of this photo of one of the many maps. 



Family, friends and Revelstoke members gather soon after arriving in Revelstoke on Saturday.


Maritime Forces Pacific / Forces maritimes du Pacifique

Statement

After an exhaustive search for a single-engine plane missing since November 25, the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Victoria (JRCC Victoria) has made the difficult decision to suspend their search today as of 15:30 PST, and transfer the case to the RCMP.

Over the last 9 days, Royal Canadian Air Force and Parks Canada aircraft have flown approximately 120 hours in extremely challenging weather and conditions, covering more than 22,000 square kilometres in the areas surrounding the last known location, and likely flight path, of the missing plane. The JRCC Victoria acknowledges the support we have received from Parks Canada and CASARA, and the information provided by Telus, Rogers, NavCanada and NORAD, which greatly assisted in narrowing the search area.

Our thoughts are with the families and loved ones during this extremely difficult time.

Déclaration

Après une recherche exhaustive pour un avion mono-moteur disparu depuis le 25 novembre, le Centre conjoint de coordination des opérations de sauvetage de Victoria (CCCOS Victoria) a pris la décision difficile de suspendre sa recherche aujourd'hui à 15 h 30, HP, et de transférer le cas à la GRC.

Au cours des neuf derniers jours, les appareils de l'Aviation royale canadienne et de Parcs Canada ont effectué environ 120 heures de vol dans des régions et des conditions météorologiques extrêmement difficiles, couvrant plus de 22,000 kilomètres carrés dans les zones entourant le dernier endroit connu de l’avion. Le CCCOS Victoria reconnaît le soutien que nous avons reçu de Parcs Canada et de l'ACRSA, ainsi que l'information fournie par Telus, Rogers, NavCanada et NORAD, ce qui a grandement contribué à réduire la zone de recherche.

Nos pensées sont avec les familles et les proches en cette période extrêmement difficile.

Over the past nine days, the royal Canadian Aviation and parks Canada aircraft have conducted approximately 120 hours of flight in extremely difficult regions and weather conditions, covering more than 22,000 square kilometres in areas surrounding the Last known location of the plane. Le Victoria recognizes the support we have received from Parks Canada and, as well as the information provided by Telus, Rogers, navcanada and norad, which has greatly contributed to reducing the search area.

Our thoughts are with families and relatives in this extremely difficult time.

The search for a pilot, passenger and the single-engine aircraft they were travelling in has been called off nine days after their disappearance.

Efforts will end at 3:30 p.m. Monday and the case will be transferred to the RCMP, the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Victoria said in a statement.

Crews have been combing the Rocky Mountains for signs of Dominic Neron, 28, and his girlfriend Ashley Bourgeault, 31, since Nov. 25.

The couple took off from Penticton, B.C. in Neron's white and burgundy striped Mooney airplane that afternoon and were expected to land in Edmonton Saturday night. Four hours after their anticipated arrival they were reported missing.

Calling the search for the single-engine plane "exhaustive," the JRCC said aircraft from the Royal Canadian Air Force and Parks Canada spent approximately 120 hours in the air in challenging weather. Searchers covered more than 22,000 square kilometres in the areas surrounding possible locations.

The JRCC acknowledged support from cellphone providers, NavCanada and NORAD for their assistance in narrowing the search area. Cellphone pings led crews to believe the couple may have been in an area about 32 kilometres northeast of Revelstoke, B.C., but after days of searching they were unable to find further signs of the pilot and passenger.

"Our thoughts are with the families and loved ones during this extremely difficult time," the JRCC statement said.

The centre said the pilot did not issue a mayday call during the flight, nor did he file a flight plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as I feel for all those who have been adversely affected, realistically, it’s now a recovery operation. That terrain is not a good place for any forced landing. Having been on one similar search ... looking for the same size plane and color as this one, in winter, is hard to do and even harder to spot. The couple that left Cranbrook for here, months ago, haven’t been found either. BC is a tough place to fly-in. Condolences to all.