Friday, July 7, 2017

Cessna T337D Turbo Super Skymaster, N337J: Accident occurred July 07, 2017 near Greenwood County Airport (KGRD), South Carolina

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Charlotte, South Carolina
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama
Textron; Kansas City, Kansas

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

NTSB Identification: ERA17LA235
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, July 07, 2017 in Greenwood, SC
Aircraft: CESSNA T337, registration: N337J
Injuries: 2 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On July 7, 2017, about 0735 eastern daylight time, a Cessna T337D, N337J, was substantially damaged during a forced landing near Greenwood County Airport (GRD), Greenwood, South Carolina. The flight instructor and a private pilot sustained minor injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the local instructional flight. The airplane was owned and operated by a private individual under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to the flight instructor, their intention was to fly the airplane around the local area to get the private pilot familiar with a multiengine airplane. The private pilot performed the preflight checklist with no anomalies noted, and the main fuel tank was three-quarters full. The engine run-up was normal and they departed from runway 27. After departure, they flew outside of the airport traffic pattern to get the private pilot comfortable at the controls, then they returned to the airport and performed three touch-and-go landings. After the third touch-and-go landing, they departed the traffic pattern again and practiced some steep turns and performed one aerodynamic stall. After the practicing the stall, the front engine started to surge from high power to low power and then lost all power. The flight instructor told the private pilot to turn back to the airport and fly to the runway while he looked in the emergency checklist for the engine-out procedure. The rear engine was still operating normally at the time. The flight instructor turned the boost pump on, switched the fuel tank from main to auxiliary, and then back to main when the front engine did not restart. He recalled that sometime during the flight back to the airport, the rear engine also experienced a total loss of power. The airplane was too low to reach the runway, and the private pilot transferred control to the flight instructor, who performed a forced landing into the trees.

Examination of the wreckage by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed that the airplane came to rest on its right side. The right wing separated from the fuselage and was found inverted on the fuselage. The left wing and strut were still attached to the fuselage. Both wings had impact marks consistent with hitting trees. The front and rear engine propellers did not exhibit rotational scoring. The landing gear was down and locked.

The airplane was retained for further examination.

Two people sustained non life-threatening injuries Friday morning after the airplane they were traveling in crashed on approach to the Greenwood County Airport.

It happened just before 7:30 a.m. in the area of Airport and Bucklevel roads near Leath Correctional Institution.

A Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman said the 1968 Cessna T337D Turbo Skymaster was preparing to land at the time, and federal officials will further investigate, the FAA said.

The plane is registered to John Lumley of Greenwood, a relative confirmed to the Index-Journal. Lumley was not in the aircraft at the time of the incident.

During a Friday morning press conference at the airport, Greenwood County Sheriff Dennis Kelly said emergency responders were on scene within 7 minutes.

“Our first reaction was to check on all occupants and get this assistance if they needed it,” Kelly said. “We had a lot of officers, EMS and firefighters respond to the scene.”

The passenger and pilot were transported to Self Regional Medical Center.

Kelly said officials didn’t know where the plane was coming from, and did not cause a fire when it crash landed.

The crash also had no impact on business either at the airport or prison, Kelly said.

“It didn’t interfere with any of the operations,” he said.

According to an FAA database, Friday marked the ninth airplane crash in Greenwood County since 1978, and the first since June 2012.

GREENWOOD COUNTY, S.C. — Two people were injured when a small plane crashed Friday morning in Greenwood County.

The plane went down about 7:30 a.m. in a wooded area near the end of the runway at the Greenwood County airport on Terminal Road, according to Greenwood County officials.

The Federal Aviation Administration will investigate the crash.

The people injured were taken to Self Regional Healthcare.

No comments: