Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Mooney M20R Ovation2, N20835, Premier Metals Recovery LLC: Accident occurred May 09, 2017 near Myrtle Beach International Airport (KMYR), Horry County, South Carolina

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Columbia, South Carolina
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdf

Premier Metals Recovery LLC: http://registry.faa.gov/N20835

NTSB Identification: ERA17LA175
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, May 09, 2017 in Myrtle Beach, SC
Aircraft: MOONEY M20R, registration: N20835
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On May 9, 2017, about 1630 eastern daylight time, a privately owned and operated Mooney M20R, N20835, was ditched in the Atlantic Ocean shortly after takeoff from Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR), Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The private pilot was not injured. The airplane was not recovered and presumed substantially damaged. The flight was destined for Charleston International Airport (CHS), Charleston, South Carolina. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the personal flight, which was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to the pilot, he departed runway 18 and began climbing on a 180° heading. About 300 feet above ground level, he "felt a strong jolt, as if something had hit [the airplane]" and a few seconds later he realized the engine had stopped. He advised the tower controller that he had a problem, and performed a ditched landing straight ahead. The airplane initially remained afloat, he egressed through the cabin door, and stood on the wing until the airplane began to sink. A tour helicopter operating in the area responded and dropped a life preserver to the pilot. He was rescued by an individual on a personal watercraft.

Attempts by a salvage company to locate the submerged airplane were unsuccessful.

According Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, the pilot held a private pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single and multi-engine land, and instrument airplane. His most recent FAA third-class medical certificate was issued July 28, 2015. The pilot reported that he had accrued 2,727 total hours of flight experience, of which 1,500 hours were in the same make and model as the accident airplane.

Review of the airplane's maintenance records revealed that the most recent annual inspection was completed on October 1, 2016, about 154 flight hours prior to the accident. The engine was overhauled in November 2016, and had accrued 138 hours since overhaul. The engine oil was changed and the oil filter element was inspected three times (January 3, February 2, and March 20, 2017) since overhaul with "no abnormalities found". The engine accrued 46 hours since the last oil change.

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – The National Transportation Safety Board will not be investigating the events that led to a small plane crashing into the ocean near Myrtle Beach State Park on Tuesday, according to a spokesman.

According to Terry Williams, NTSB spokesman, the agency is gathering information on the crash, but won’t start an investigation. He added that is more in-depth due to the launching of a team to determine the probable cause of an airplane crash.

Right now, the NTSB is simply trying to gather preliminary information, but nothing on what led to the plane going down, Williams said.

The crash happened shortly after 5 p.m. Tuesday. The pilot reportedly took off from Myrtle Beach International Airport and then reported engine trouble, Myrtle Beach Fire Deputy Chief Tom Gwyer previously said.

At that point, the pilot ditched the plane in the water. He got out and was thrown a life jacket from a helicopter circling above.

The pilot did not suffer severe injuries in the crash.

James Wasserman is accustomed to picking people up who have fallen into the ocean after working for eight years with Downwind Sails Watersports, but he said Tuesday was the first time he rescued someone who had crashed a plane.

“I just had the mindset that I was going out there to help somebody that I knew needed some help,” Wasserman said.

He said he didn’t witness the plane land on the water off Myrtle Beach State Park.

“We saw Oceanfront Helicopters fly over. They were just hovering over the water and we were trying to figure out what in the world was going on,” he said.

However, Wasserman heard from a woman on the beach that a plane had gone down, so he decided to launch a jet ski and, within minutes, ended up on the crash scene.

“When I pulled up to the pilot in the water, you could no longer see the plane,” he said. “He was in the water by himself. Oceanfront Helicopters had dropped him a Jim Buoy float and he was holding onto that float for dear life.”

Wasserman got the man out of the water.

“I reached down, extended my hand to him,” he said. “His words to me were, ‘Man I’m really glad you’re here.’”

He then brought the pilot to shore.

“I told him we had him,” Wasserman said. “I said, ‘Buddy, you’re safe now man.’”

He said the man was relieved when he got him onto the jet ski, but was distraught about what had just happened.

“The man had just crashed his airplane. He was dazed and confused, had no idea what was going on,” he said.

Wasserman said he was happy to be part of a community effort to rescue the pilot.

“I’m glad that we could all be out there to make a tragedy just an accident,” he said. “Loss of life anytime is not a good thing. I’m glad we could pull him out of the water and get him to the beach safe and sound.”

Story and video:   http://www.wmbfnews.com

David Pace

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – Emergency crews say one person was rescued Tuesday evening after they responded to reports of a plane that crashed in the water near Myrtle Beach State Park.

Tuesday evening, the FAA issued a statement confirming a Mooney M20R Ovation2 crashed into the water one-half mile off the coast of Myrtle Beach around 5 p.m.

“Something hit the airplane, or it felt like something hit the airplane, and the engine stopped so that’s when I knew something was a problem,” said David Pace, who said he was flying the airplane from Myrtle Beach to Charleston.

Lt. Jonathan Evans, spokesperson for Myrtle Beach Fire, says the small plane went down between Springmaid Pier and the state park.

Pace said he couldn’t turn back to Myrtle Beach International Airport because he was flying too low and too slow.

“Really the only option was to go straight ahead into the ocean because the beach was full of people,” he added. “Then you just try to land it like you land it on the ground and it worked out this time.”

Pace said he prepared for the landing on the water like he would prepare for a normal landing and the plane floated in the water for a few minutes.

“I was able to get out and get out on the wing but I was a lot further out than I anticipated being so when the airplane sunk I had to start swimming,” said Pace.

A few helicopters were able to drop him a life preserver while rescue crews were arriving on the beach.

“He was swimming hard, fighting against the current a good half mile out from the beach itself,” said Jeremy Bass from Oceanfront Helicopters. Three of his pilots arrived on the scene in minutes.”The pilot, I gotta say, he did an excellent job. I could tell he did an excellent job by the aircraft position and the fact it didn’t come apart.”

Pace has been flying for forty years and was on a trip for his business, Premier Metals Recovery LLC, when the plane when down.

“I didn’t consider it a crash,” he said. “I consider it a forced landing because the plane didn’t crash. I’m not injured I’m in good shape.”

Pace plans to take about a week off and then get back in the sky.

“Every time something happens with an airplane, even though it’s very rare, it’s news all over the place and then people talk about how unsafe airplanes are but I’ve been flying for 40 years and I’m still here and never hurt anybody,” he added.

A tweet from Horry County Fire Rescue sent at 5:15 p.m. states Horry County Fire Rescue, Myrtle Beach Fire Department and Surfside Beach Fire Department responded to the scene.

The FAA says they will investigate and the NTSB says they are also gathering information.

Story and video:  http://wspa.com

Myrtle Beach, S.C. (WPDE) — A small plane crashed in the ocean near Myrtle Beach State Park and the sole occupant has been rescued, according to Horry County police officials.

Kirk Lovell, with the Myrtle Beach Airport, says the plane was a private aircraft, called a Mooney, with one person on board.

Jeremy Bass with Oceanfront Helicopters said he sent three of his helicopters to help with the rescue and they threw the man a life vest.

Horry County police say the man was treading water next to the plane when crews got to him. The plane submerged a short time later.

Emergency crews on scene say the man was helped out of the water via jet ski.

No information has been released about his current condition, but police say he was conscious when he was taken from the scene for treatment.

The plane left Myrtle Beach Airport and crashed a short time later after possible engine issues, police said.

Crews from Horry County Fire Rescue, Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue and Surfide Beach Fire all responded to the scene.

ABC15 New's Eddie Kadhim spoke with the owner of Beachfront Helicopters about his company's assistance in the rescue.

Bass said the effort truly was a team effort.

"The plane had nosedived and ascended down into the ocean where it's not longer visible from the air even," he said.

While the pilot of the small plane was fighting for his life in the water, people took to the water and the air to help.

When one of the Oceanfront Helicopters crews dropped a life vest to the pilot, Bass said it appeared as though the water and current was giving the pilot a hard time.

"He appeared very worn out at that point. We were able to get one of the offshore helicopters over to him take one of our inflatable life vests, prep it for him, ball it up into a ball, and throw it right in front of him so he could grab it. He was able to don the life vest, pull the life cord, lay back and inflate it, and he was able to just lay back and wait," Bass said. 

Just then, Bass said more help arrived. A jet ski rushed in and pulled the exhausted pilot from the ocean.

"The tide was running really hard. He was in a current that was pulling him out further out into the ocean so, as hard as he was swimming, he was not making any progress at all. Thankfully got there just in the knick of time. I'm proud of the team doing what they've been trained to do," he said. 

Story, video and photo gallery:  http://wpde.com

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – Crews responded to a plane crash in the water near Myrtle Beach State Park Tuesday evening.

According to a tweet from Horry County Fire Rescue, crews from Horry County, Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue and Surfside Beach Fire are responding.

Kirk Lovell, spokesperson for the Myrtle Beach International Airport, said it was a private aircraft with one person on board.

Myrtle Beach Fire Deputy Chief Tom Gwyer said the pilot took off from MYR, reported engine trouble and then laid the aircraft down in the ocean.

The pilot got out of the Mooney M20R Ovation2 the occupant of a helicopter from a private company dropped him a float, according to Gwyer.

A jet ski was launched to get the pilot and bring him on shore. Gwyer said he was treated on the beach and then driven to an ambulance.

According to Gwyer, the pilot was shaken up but didn’t seem to have any medical issues.

“The lord was with them today,” said Charles Smith, who was at the state park when the plane went in the water.

Story and video:   http://www.wmbfnews.com

Horry County Fire Rescue and Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue responded to a plane crash between Springmaid Pier and Myrtle Beach State Park Tuesday afternoon.

According to Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue deputy fire chief Tom Gwyer, the pilot took off from Myrtle Beach International Airport and had engine trouble over the ocean.

The pilot was able to “ditch the plane into the ocean,” meaning that the pilot completed a water landing, according to Kirk Lovell with Myrtle Beach International Airport.

A local helicopter company, Oceanfront Helicopters, was informed by Air Traffic Control that a plane had gone down, and it sent three helicopters to assist in the rescue.

“One soul was on board the aircraft,” said Lovell. “The pilot has been rescued and is on shore being treated by EMTs.”

According to Gwyer, the man was treading water when rescuers arrived, fully dressed in jeans and shoes.

Lovell said the plane was a Mooney M20R Ovation2.

“It was a lot of excitement, but it ended with a good outcome,” said Gwyer.

Several people witnessed the crash live.

“I saw the airplane take off, it lost its height and started going real low, skimmed the water, stopped; it was floating for about five minutes, then you saw the tail go up and under,” said witness Russ Magee.

Gwyer said the FAA will take over the investigation because the incident involved an aircraft.

“The plane is at the bottom of the ocean,” said Gwyer.

Original article can be found here:   http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com

No comments: