Saturday, February 25, 2017

Loss of Engine Power (Partial): Cessna 150F, N7948F; accident occurred October 16, 2016 near Berry Hill Airport (7GA7), Stockbridge, Henry County, Georgia

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Atlanta, Georgia
Textron; Wichita, Kansas
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama

Aviation Accident Factual Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Investigation Docket - National Transportation Safety Board:

Location: Stockbridge, GA
Accident Number: ERA17LA015
Date & Time: 10/16/2016, 1430 EDT
Registration: N7948F
Aircraft: CESSNA 150
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Defining Event: Loss of engine power (partial)
Injuries: 2 Serious
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Personal

On October 16, 2016, about 1430 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 150 airplane, N7948F was substantially damaged when it impacted a field on takeoff from Berry Hill Airport (7GA7), Stockbridge, Georgia. The private pilot and the passenger sustained serious injuries. The airplane was privately owned and operated under the provisions of a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the flight that was destined for Cherokee County Airport (CNI), Canton, Georgia.

The pilot said he added 10 gallons of aviation fuel to each wing tank which brought each tank up to about 3/4 full. He then taxied to his backyard at the fly-in community to pick up his passenger, a bag of clothes, and a small dog. The pilot then taxied to runway 11 and conducted a runup of the engine. The runup was normal and the pilot departed in calm wind. About halfway down the 3,000-foot-long runway, the pilot rotated, and the airplane began to climb. The pilot soon observed that the airplane was not climbing normally, and he grew concerned that he would not clear the tree line about 500 ft off the departure end of the runway. The pilot steered the airplane toward the shortest tree and hoped to make a controlled landing in the field on the other side. He said that he remembered going over the tree, but nothing after that until he woke up in the hospital.

A witness observed the airplane during takeoff and heard the engine making "popping" sounds as it climbed out. The pilot said he was wearing noise-cancelling headsets and did not hear anything abnormal with the engine during the quick flight.

Post accident examination of the wreckage revealed that it came to rest about 800 ft off the departure end of the runway. The wreckage displayed aftward crushing of the airplane's nose, uniform aftward crush damage along most of the left wing's leading edge, and aftward crush damage to the outboard portion of the right wing.

Examination of the engine revealed that each of the four cylinders exhibited dark deposits on the pistons and cylinder domes. When the engine was manually rotated, valve train continuity and compression were established on each cylinder except the No. 4 cylinder. The No. 4 cylinder was removed, and the exhaust valve was found stuck in the fully open position. The valve was manually removed from the cylinder with a hammer and a drift. The valve stem was dark and coated with a carbon-type material.

The spark plugs were removed and examined. They exhibited normal wear when compared to the Champion Check-A-Plug chart, and dark deposits were observed in the electrode areas. The No. 4 bottom spark plug had oil and carbon type deposits in the electrode area.Both magnetos were removed from the engine and tested. When manually rotated, spark was produced at each terminal.The carburetor had separated from the engine and exhibited impact damage. The throttle control actuating arm and the mixture control were connected and moved freely. The carburetor heat control was in the center position and would not move. There was no fuel screen installed. The floats were intact and attached to the needle valve. The needle valve seat was absent of debris.The oil screen was removed and a small about of carbon deposits were observed.

A review of the airplane's maintenance logbooks revealed the last annual inspection was completed on May 10, 2016. At that time, the engine had accumulated 3,673.55 hours total time, with 604.85 hours since major overhaul.

The pilot held a private pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single-engine land and instrument airplane. His last FAA third-class medical was issued on January 14, 2016. The pilot reported 276 total hours with 5 hours total time in the accident airplane make & model.

The weather at Henry County Airport (HMP), Hampton, Georgia, about twelve miles southwest of the accident site, at 1435 was wind from 130° at 5 knots, visibility 10 miles, overcast at 9,000 ft, temperature 26° C, dewpoint 18° C, and an altimeter setting of 30.17 inches of mercury. The calculated density altitude was about as 2,100 ft. 

Pilot Information

Certificate: Private
Age: 45, Male
Airplane Rating(s): Single-engine Land
Seat Occupied:Left 
Other Aircraft Rating(s): None
Restraint Used: Lap Only
Instrument Rating(s): Airplane
Second Pilot Present:No 
Instructor Rating(s): None
Toxicology Performed: No
Medical Certification: Class 3 Without Waivers/Limitations
Last FAA Medical Exam: 01/04/2016
Occupational Pilot:No
Last Flight Review or Equivalent: 03/14/2016
Flight Time: 271 hours (Total, all aircraft), 5 hours (Total, this make and model), 235 hours (Pilot In Command, all aircraft), 5 hours (Last 90 days, all aircraft) 

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Make: CESSNA
Registration: N7948F
Model/Series: 150 F
Aircraft Category: Airplane
Year of Manufacture:
Amateur Built: No
Airworthiness Certificate: Utility
Serial Number: 15064048
Landing Gear Type: Tricycle
Seats: 2
Date/Type of Last Inspection: 05/10/2016, Annual
Certified Max Gross Wt.: 1601 lbs
Time Since Last Inspection: 20 Hours
Engines: 1 Reciprocating
Airframe Total Time:  as of last inspection
Engine Manufacturer: CONT MOTOR
ELT: Installed, not activated
Engine Model/Series: O-200 SERIES
Registered Owner: WOOD JEREMY E
Rated Power: 100 hp
Operator: On file
Operating Certificate(s) Held: None

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site: Visual Conditions
Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: HMP, 882 ft msl
Distance from Accident Site: 12 Nautical Miles
Observation Time: 1435 EDT
Direction from Accident Site: 220°
Lowest Cloud Condition:
Visibility:  10 Miles
Lowest Ceiling: Overcast / 9000 ft agl
Visibility (RVR):
Wind Speed/Gusts: 5 knots /
Turbulence Type Forecast/Actual:
Wind Direction: 130°
Turbulence Severity Forecast/Actual:
Altimeter Setting: 30.17 inches Hg
Temperature/Dew Point: 26°C / 18°C
Precipitation and Obscuration: No Obscuration; No Precipitation
Departure Point: Stockbridge, GA (7GA7)
Type of Flight Plan Filed: None
Destination: Canton, GA (CNI)
Type of Clearance: Unknown
Departure Time: 1430 EDT
Type of Airspace: Class G

Airport Information

Airport: BERRY HILL (7GA7)
Runway Surface Type: Asphalt
Airport Elevation: 770 ft
Runway Surface Condition: Dry; Rough; Soft
Runway Used: 11
IFR Approach: None
Runway Length/Width: 3000 ft / 40 ft
VFR Approach/Landing: Precautionary Landing

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 1 Serious
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Passenger Injuries: 1 Serious
Aircraft Fire: None
Ground Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 2 Serious
Latitude, Longitude: 33.533056, -84.171944 (est)

Jamie Thompson and his granddaughter, London Buckley

HENRY COUNTY, Ga. - A pilot and his granddaughter are reuniting for the first time with the first responders who saved their lives after a plane crash.

Jamie Thompson and his granddaughter, London Buckley, were injured when their plane went down near Berry Hill Airport in Stockbridge last October.

Both were taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

The family dog died in the crash.

London was expected to be in the hospital for months, but was released in just two weeks.

Now, the grandfather and granddaughter are meeting face-to-face with the people who helped them after the crash.

"Being able to see that we actually made a difference in the lives of two people that were seriously injured that day is a huge morale booster," Henry County Fire Lt. Eric Shelley said.

There were lots of handshakes, hugs and pictures as the survivors and first responders met Saturday afternoon.

Shelley put together the event because he said in his 20 years with the department, this was only his second plane crash.

"It was definitely one of those scenes that you will remember for the rest of your life, because it's not something you get everyday," he said.

London said after recovering from the crash, she is enjoying playing outside.

She also had one piece of advice for anyone who would listen: "Just don't get in a plane crash."

Story and video:

The  National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Atlanta, Georgia
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report -  National Transportation Safety Board:

NTSB Identification: ERA17LA015
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, October 16, 2016 in Stockbridge, GA
Aircraft: CESSNA 150, registration: N7948F
Injuries: 2 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On October 16, 2016, about 1430 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 150F airplane, N7948F, impacted a field after takeoff from Berry Hill Airport (7GA7), Stockbridge, Georgia. The private pilot and passenger sustained serious injuries. The airplane was substantially damaged. The personal flight was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan had been filed for the local flight.

Shortly after takeoff from runway 11, the airplane cleared a line of trees 75 to 100 feet tall, approximately 500 feet from the departure end of the runway, then went into a steep nose down descent and struck the ground at a nearly vertical attitude less than 800 feet from the runway.

The airplane was secured for additional investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment