Monday, September 19, 2016

Beech 95-B55 (T42A) Baron, Tropical Isle Resort Inc., N413D: Fatal accident occurred September 17, 2016 in Broadus, Montana

National Transportation Safety Board - Aviation Accident Preliminary Report: 


FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Helena FSDO-05

NTSB Identification: WPR16FA182
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, September 17, 2016 in Broadus, MT
Aircraft: BEECH 95 B55 (T42A), registration: N413D
Injuries: 3 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On September 17, 2016, about 1300 mountain daylight time, a twin-engine Beech (Baron) 95-B55 airplane, N413D, impacted terrain about 20 miles east of Broadus, Montana. The owner/Airline Transport Pilot operated the airplane under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight. The pilot and two passengers were fatally injured, and the airplane sustained substantial damage. The flight departed from the Billings Logan International Airport (BIL), Billings, Montana, about noon, with an intended destination of Rapid City Regional Airport (RAP), Rapid City, South Dakota.

The airplane wreckage was found by a ranch caretaker as he was returning to work from lunch, about 1300. The caretaker reported hearing an airplane during lunch, but he did not go outside to look for it nor did he hear the airplane impact the ground.

A National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator, A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, and a representative from Textron Aviation, the airplane manufacturer, responded to the accident site. The airplane came to rest on a 143-degree magnetic heading on flat land. The main wreckage was confined to the impact area, with all major components identified at the accident site. The airplane's control surfaces remained attached; the left propeller had separated from the left engine and was located just forward of the main wreckage. The right propeller separated and was located underneath the right side cabin fuselage. The nose landing gear was retracted, and pushed up and aft into the cabin where it impacted the front carry through spar.

Both the left and right wing bladder fuel tanks had been breached; however, the smell of 100 low-lead fuel was evident. Both the left and right wings were canted forward, with both engines partially separated from their respective wings. The left propeller blades had light chord wise scratches. The right propeller blades had no chord wise striations.

The airplane was recovered and is in a secured storage facility.

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email,  and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email

Tim Brown, who died in the crash, seen in 2015, with son, Timmy, who did not make the trip and survives the family tragedy.

A Marathon resort owner, his wife and son died in a plane crash in Montana on Saturday.

Timothy Brown, 64, Tricia Verhelle-Brown, 45, and their 13-year-old son Theodore “Teddy” Brown perished in the crash 12 miles south of Boyes, Montana, where a rancher found them in the rural area around 12:10 p.m., according to Carter County Sheriff Neil Kittelman.

The Beechcraft 95-B55 Baron was en route from Billings, Mont., to Rapid City, S.D., according to the National Transportation Safety Board.

Billings is the closest city to the crash site, Kittelman said. The 1974 six-seat plane was registered under the name Tropical Isle Resort Inc.

Brown was the owner of the Kingsail Resort in Marathon and the Seashell Beach Resort on Grassy Key, along with two other hotels in Michigan. Brown’s body was sent to the Montana state medical examiner in Billings for an autopsy while the Stevenson Funeral Home out of Mile City, Mont., retrieved the bodies of Tricia and Teddy from the crash site, he added.

Denise M. Michaels commented on a Billings CBS News affiliate video about the crash that she is the cousin of Tricia, and the Browns lived part of the year in northwest Michigan and the rest of the year in the Florida Keys.

“She and Tim were very happily married and traveled all over the world together,” Michaels wrote. “They have another son named Tim, 15, who didn't make the trip. He stayed home with relatives and is the only surviving family member. We are reeling and stunned with the new of their deaths.”

The NTSB will investigate the crash and a representative said preliminary results could be available as soon as next week.

Read more here:

Carter County officials identified three family members on Monday who died in a private airplane crash Saturday in the southeast corner of Montana.

Sheriff Neil Kittelmann named 64-year-old Timothy Brown, 35-year-old Tricia Brown and 13-year-old Theodore "Teddy" Brown as the crash victims. The family owned hotels in Marathon, Fla. and Harbor Springs, Mich. Kittelmann said the airplane was registered in Florida and the adults had Florida driver's licences but the family split there time between the two states.

He said their twin engine Beechcraft Baron crashed Saturday at about noon in a grassy area bordering a field about 12 miles south of Boyes. The aircraft took off from Billings Logan International Airport and was likely headed to Michigan because the Browns had asked for weather conditions between Billings and Harbor Springs. 

Miriam Riesland owns the property neighboring the crash scene and was one of the first people to reach the wreckage. 

Riesland said the plane crashed near the Carter and Powder River county line in an area visible from a county road. The man who lives closest to the crash discovered the plane at about 2 p.m. while checking on cattle. She accompanied him to look for survivors.

She said the aircraft was heavily damaged with at least one missing propeller and the scene was littered with debris. Riesland checked the pilot's pulse but when she discovered he was dead she immediately returned home to notify emergency personnel.

"I didn’t know there was two other bodies in there. It was such a mess," Riesland said.

Kittlemann said a medical examiner autopsied the family's bodies in Billings Monday. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the cause of the crash. The plane will be moved to either Bozeman or a facility in Arizona for analysis.


A Harbor Springs businessman, his wife and a teenage son have died after a plane crash in Montana on Saturday.

Rick Gillis, director of Stone Funeral Home, said Timothy Brown, 64, Tricia Verhelle-Brown, 45, and their 13-year-old son Theodore “Teddy” Brown died on Saturday in the crash.

The family's other son was not on the trip and remained in the Harbor Springs area.

Officials with National Transportation Safety Board only had limited information available about the crash as of noon Monday.

According to preliminary information, the crash happened at about 2:40 p.m. local time near Broudus, Montana.

All three passengers on board were reported to have died in the crash of the Beechcraft model BE55.

Officials said the aircraft was en route from Billings, Montana to Rapid City, Iowa when the crash happened.

The National Transportation Safety Board has sent an investigator to the scene and more information on the crash is expected to be available later this week.

Federal Aviation Administration Records show the twin-engine aircraft is owned by Tropical Isle Resort, Inc. located in Monroe, Fla.

Brown owned the Colonial Inn in Harbor Springs, as well as a Holiday Inn Express and the Breakers Resort in St. Ignace and the Seashell Beach Resort and Kingsail Resort in Marathon, Florida.

Gillis said services for the family are pending at Stone Funeral Home.


No comments: