Sunday, June 26, 2016

Cessna 421C Golden Eagle, Netsoft Inc., N345MS: Incident occurred June 24, 2016 at Memorial Field Airport (KHOT), Hot Springs, Garland County, Arkansas

Kathryn's Report:


Date: 24-JUN-16
Time: 16:00:00Z
Regis#: N345MS
Aircraft Make: CESSNA
Aircraft Model: 421
Event Type: Incident
Highest Injury: None
Damage: Unknown
Flight Phase: LANDING (LDG)
FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Little Rock FSDO-11
State: Arkansas


A local pilot had to make an emergency landing in his Cessna 421 Golden Eagle shortly after takeoff Friday morning at Hot Springs Memorial Field, when he discovered a problem with his nose landing gear.

Peter Corry said he was on his way to Tyler, Texas, and had just taken off when he got a hydraulic warning and discovered his front landing gear was stuck at a 45-degree angle and "would not come down."

"I figured I better start circling and went through all the emergency procedures," Corry said, noting there were two other pilots flying above him that were offering advice, but nothing worked. "The landing gear refused to come down."

Corry shut off the engine and the electricity to the twin-engine, six-seat light aircraft "and glided it in," Glen Barentine, airport director, said moments after the plane landed safely at 11:40 a.m.

"He did a great job. He kept the nose up as long as he could and rolled it in. He was able to save a lot of it. It could have been a lot worse," Barentine said, noting he might need some sheet metal work done as a result.

The plane could be seen sliding for several feet after the nose finally touched down, but Barentine noted, "He had slowed down considerably by the time the nose finally came down so he didn't have to slide that far.

"This is what they're trained for and he did it perfect."

Barentine said if he had tried to land in the grass instead of on the runway he risked hitting something on the uneven terrain so he did the right thing landing it as he did.

Hot Springs Fire Department, Hot Springs police and LifeNet personnel had arrived before Corry landed and were standing by near the runway where he landed, but there was no fire and Corry was not injured.

Original article can be found here:

The pilot of a small airplane contacted the Hot Springs Airport Control Tower and advised that his landing gear was malfunctioning.  The Tower Troops call the Hot Springs Fire Department and everybody went into emergency mode.

HSFD Flight Line Fire Troops deployed from Station #4 which is on Airport Road at the Entrance to the Airport Complex.  The first unit to arrive was the special airplane firefighting truck that stays on the airport property.

Hot Springs Police arrived quickly and provided security for the emergency landing.  A LifeNet Crew soon arrived, everybody got into position and they waited.  The troubled airplane made a pass above the runway and people on the ground could see that the landing gear configuration did not look correct.

The plane finally lined up on the runway and touched down appropriately enough with the 2 wing wheels, but when the pilot slowed the plane, the nose dipped and struck the ground.  The front landing gear was still up at touchdown.

The plane immediately began to slow it’s speed and slid on it’s nose like that for what looked to be at least a couple of hundred feet.  The HSFD Airplane Fire Truck was the first vehicle up to the plane once it stopped.  The truck blew something at the airplane that looked like a cloud of thick, white fog that quickly evaporated.  I did not see any smoke or fire and none was reported that I am aware of.

The word was quickly passed that the pilot was ok.  There was no mention of any passengers that I am aware of.

That particular runway was closed for at least 30 minutes.

Original article can be found here:

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. - A local pilot was forced to make an emergency landing at the Memorial Field Airport in Hot Springs on Friday morning after his landing gear malfunctioned, officials say. 

The Hot Springs pilot took off from Memorial Field Airport, and when he returned, he couldn't confirm that his landing gear was down.

He flew the plane over local fire personnel, and they were able to confirm that his gear wasn't down and had malfunctioned, according to Glen Barentine, airport director. 

The pilot flew around the area until he ran out of options, and he was forced to land, Barentine said. 

He landed the plane around 11:50 a.m. and was uninjured in the process. No one else was on the plane with him. 

One of the airport's two runways was briefly closed due to the incident but later reopened, according to Barentine. 

Original article can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment