Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Harold Guretzky: Oceanside aircraft owner threatened Hempstead workers, police say

Harold Guretzky, 70, of Oceanside is accused of calling the Town of Hempstead supervisor's office and verbally threatening two employees at about 3 p.m. Monday, April 25, 2016, Nassau County police said.  He was arrested Tuesday and is to be arraigned Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead.

An Oceanside homeowner in a dispute with Hempstead Town officials because they seized his single-engine airplane, which was parked in his driveway, made threatening remarks Monday to two town employees, Nassau County police said.

Harold Guretzky, 70, of Yale Street, is charged with two counts of aggravated harassment after telling two employees in the Town of Hempstead supervisor’s office that he had a crossbow and knew how to use it, police said.

Police said he made a telephone call to the office at about 3 p.m. Monday and “verbally threatened” the two employees.

He was arrested Tuesday and is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead.

Last Thursday, Hempstead Town crews removed the small plane airplane parked in front of Guretzky’s home after he was cited for repeated violations of town codes.

The wings of the plane parked in Guretzky’s driveway were removed and its body taken to the town’s storage facility after the Hempstead Building Department earlier this month cited “the potential danger presented by the storage of a plane in a residential neighborhood.”

Town officials have been seeking to remove the plane since July, after neighbors’ complaints about the 24-foot-long Cessna and radio towers Guretzky attached atop his home. The Building Department reported the violation “deems the storage of a plane unsafe.” The radio towers also were said to be unsafe.

Guretzky was told to remove the plane by April 19 or face seizure by the town and removal of a radio tower, according to a Newsday story.

Town officials said Guretzky was served with several notices of violation, which were posted on his home and sent by certified mail, warning of the possible removal.

The town’s commissioner of engineering’s office cited high winds earlier this month that the report said lifted the plane 3 feet off the ground while it was tied down. The storm also toppled one of the radio towers.

The town filed a complaint April 5 in Nassau County District Court to remove the plane, citing violations for unlawful storage of an airplane without a permit and having an unauthorized radio tower. A hearing has been rescheduled for May 12.

Town officials said they were able to seize the plane without a court order because it posed an immediate danger of “uplifting, falling, collapsing or causing damage and injury to the occupants and/or adjacent property,” as stated in the engineering report.

Original article can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment