Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Jeffair Barracuda, N85UC: Incident occurred April 27, 2016 at Ernest A. Love Field Airport (KPRC), Prescott, Yavapai County, Arizona


Date: 27-APR-16

Time: 17:15:00Z
Regis#: N85UC
Event Type: Incident
Highest Injury: None
Damage: Minor
Flight Phase: LANDING (LDG)
State: Arizona

Prescott Fire Department responded to an early accident at the airport this morning. 

At 8am Wednesday the air traffic control tower at the airport received a report from a plane that it had a warning light indicating that its front landing gear had failed to deploy as it was approaching the runway.

The aircraft proceeded to fly by the tower where they were able to confirm that the front gear was still up.  

The Prescott Fire Department Aircraft Rescue truck, Rescue 73, Engine 74, and Chino Valley Fire Engine 62 all responded onto the airport for the plane to make its landing. 

The plane landed, falling forward onto its propeller, but remained upright.  

The pilot was able to exit the vehicle and had no injuries. 

The runway was closed for the duration of the subsequent investigation and the fire units released from the scene.

According to Firefighter Conrad Jackson, an early morning accident took place at Prescott Airport. 

Details are scarce, but it appears to be a nose gear failure, Jackson reported.

Jackson said there are no injuries, and details will follow later. 

Original article can be found here:

PRESCOTT – A small airplane made a rough landing at Prescott’s Ernest A. Love Field Wednesday, April 27, when its nose landing gear failed to properly deploy, a Prescott Fire spokesman said.

About 8 a.m., the pilot warned the airport’s tower that he had a front-gear warning light, Firefighter/Paramedic Conrad Jackson said.

The plane flew by the tower and controllers confirmed the gear was still up. Fire crews responded and prepared for the landing, Jackson said.

It touched down on Runway 21-Left and tipped forward onto its nose, destroying the propeller, but did not overturn.

The pilot was not injured and walked away from the aircraft.

Original story:

PRESCOTT - The nose landing gear of a small airplane collapsed Monday morning, April 27, at Prescott Municipal Airport, according to a fire department spokesman.

Although the airplane sustained some damage, no one was injured in the incident, which happened about 8:30 a.m.

Original article can be found here: 

NTSB Identification: WPR13LA034
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, October 27, 2012 in Payson, AZ
Probable Cause Approval Date: 05/13/2015
Aircraft: JEFFAIR BARRACUDA, registration: N19GS
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The pilot had purchased the experimental, amateur-built airplane from its designer/builder about 32 years after the airplane had been issued its airworthiness certificate. The airplane was the prototype and first-constructed edition of that model. Two years after the purchase, the airplane was damaged on landing due to a problem with the nose landing gear. The pilot subsequently determined that certain nose gear components were of insufficient strength and he had them "repaired and reinforced."

About 3 years later, after the airplane had accumulated an undetermined amount of time or cycles since the repairs, the pilot departed on the accident flight, which was a personal cross-country flight, with a passenger. The pilot observed a landing gear annunciation light sequencing abnormality during the gear retraction. The airplane did not experience any additional problems until the pilot selected the landing gear to the extended position and observed that the light indicating that the nose landing gear was down and locked did not illuminate. He conducted a low flyby of the airport, and a ground observer radioed that the nose gear appeared to be fully extended. However, upon landing, first the nose gear and then the two main gear retracted. The airplane sustained substantial damage to the wings. Postaccident examination of the landing gear system did not reveal any anomalies that would have precluded normal operation.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The failure of the landing gear to remain extended during the landing roll for reasons that could not be determined because postaccident examination did not reveal any anomalies that would have precluded normal operation.


On October 27, 2012, about 0925 mountain standard time, an experimental amateur-built JeffAir Barracuda, N19GS, was substantially damaged when all three landing gear collapsed after touchdown on runway 6 at Payson airport (PAN), Payson, Arizona. Neither the pilot/owner nor his passenger was injured. The personal flight was conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no FAA flight plan was filed for the flight.

According to the pilot, the airplane landing gear system was equipped with three green annunciation lights, which illuminate when the landing gear is fully extended for landing, and three amber annunciation lights, which illuminate when the landing gear is fully retracted. On departure from Ernest A. Love field (PRC), Prescott, Arizona, for PAN, the pilot noticed that the nose landing gear (NLG) amber light illuminated about 5 to 8 seconds after the two main landing gear (MLG) lights; normally all three illuminate approximately simultaneously. The pilot was uncertain whether there really was a problem, and the airplane operated normally for most of the remainder of the flight. In the traffic pattern at PAN, after the pilot selected the landing gear to the extended position, he observed that the two green MLG lights illuminated, but the green NLG light did not. He conducted a low flyby of the airport, and a ground observer radioed that the NLG appeared to be fully extended.

The pilot then conducted a normal landing, but the NLG retracted when the pilot lowered the nose of the airplane. Very shortly thereafter, the two MLG then retracted, and the airplane slid to a stop on the runway. Portions of both MLG assemblies pushed up through the upper wing skins after the unintentional retraction. The airplane was partially disassembled, and transported to the pilot's hangar at PRC for further examination.


According to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) information, the pilot held a private pilot certificate with airplane single- and multi-engine ratings. His most recent FAA third-class medical certificate was issued in November 2011. According to the pilot, he had a total flight experience of about 2,500 hours, including about 40 hours in the accident airplane make and model. His most recent flight review was accomplished in September 2012.


FAA records indicated that the airplane the first model of its type, and was built by its principal designer, G.L. Siers. The airplane was first issued its airworthiness certificate in 1975. The design was a single-engine, low-wing monoplane constructed primarily of wood. It was equipped with hydraulically-operated tricycle-configuration landing gear, and a Lycoming IO-540 series engine.

The accident pilot was the second owner of the airplane; he purchased it from the designer/builder in February 2007. According to the pilot, in July 2007, he "had the engine and prop rebuilt as they were both past TBO." In 2009 the airplane was damaged on landing due to a problem with the nose landing gear. The nose gear contacted a gear door while retracting; the pilot subsequently determined that the components intended to align the nose gear for retraction were of insufficient strength and had deformed, preventing normal nose gear operation. The pilot reported that the components "were repaired and reinforced."

The airplane's most recent annual condition inspection was completed on October 27, 2011, exactly 1 year prior to the accident. Maintenance records indicated that at that time, the airplane had accumulated a total time (TT) in service of about 516 hours. The pilot reported that the airplane had flown "about 8 or 9 times" since that inspection, and that "there were no problems."


The PAN 1635 automated weather observation included winds from 130 degrees at 8 knots, visibility 10 miles, clear skies, temperature 13 degrees C, dew point -8 degrees C, and an altimeter setting of 30.18 inches of mercury.


PAN was equipped with a single paved runway designated 06-24. The runway measured 5,504 by 75 feet, and field elevation was reported as 5,157 feet. PAN was not equipped with an operating air traffic control tower.


Several days after the accident, and FAA inspector examined the wreckage in the pilot's hangar. The inspector reported that "both main gear had punctured through the tops of both wings," the landing gear doors were damaged, and that the "propeller was destroyed." The inspector did not note any obvious underlying reasons for the initial failure of the NLG.

According to the pilot, the uncommanded retraction of the MLG was an expected result of the NLG failure, due to the system architecture.

No comments: