Sunday, March 27, 2016

North American AT-6 Harvard 2A, ZK-TVI, Warbird Adventure Rides Ltd: Incident occurred March 27, 2016 at Wanaka Airport, New Zealand

Air traffic in and out of Wanaka Airport has been disrupted after a wartime Harvard was involved in a minor crash this morning. 

The North American AT-6 Harvard 2A was taking off towards the west when it veered off the runway on to the grass where its undercarriage collapsed.

It ended up sitting on its fuselage on grass next to the main runway. 

The two pilots on board walked away uninjured, police said.

Emergency services, initially concerned about fire, have now left the scene.  

Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow general manager Ed Taylor told the Otago Daily times he did not know what went wrong but was grateful no one was injured.

Some light aircraft have been able to take off on a shortened runway but there are still several others unable to leave. 

Attempts are being made to move the crashed plane away from the runway using a truck with a crane hoist.  

The ODT has received reports of a second Harvard involved in an incident earlier this morning.

It is understood the Harvard abandoned its take off after one wing tip touched the tarmac.

Original article can be found here:

Emergency services have arrived at a plane crash at Wanaka Airport involving an aircraft believed to have taken part in the Warbirds Over Wanaka event.

Two people were uninjured in the crash, which happened during an attempt to take off in a North American AT-6 Harvard 2A aircraft about 9.30am.

Senior sergeant Craig Brown, of the Southern District Command Centre, said the "Harvard plane has crashed on landing and has ended up skidding to the side of the runway.

"The plane was carrying the pilot and one other occupant who were both uninjured.

"The cause of the crash is at this stage unknown," Brown said.

Fire fighters from Luggate and Wanaka were responding to the callout but it was not believed the aircraft caught fire.

A fire spokesman confirmed they were in attendance, but referred all questions to police. 

Warbirds Over Wanaka general manager Ed Taylor​ said it was thought the incident resulted from a mechanical fault with a wheel.

The Civil Aviation Authority have been notified of the incident.

Thousands of people turned out for the three-day Warbirds show, which finished on Sunday. 

Original article can be found here:

No comments: