Friday, March 25, 2016

Brantly B2B, N2266U: Accident occurred March 25, 2016 in Galena, Stone County, Missouri

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident. 

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration; Kansas City, Kansas
Federal Aviation Administration;   Kansas City, Missouri
TSI; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 

Aviation Accident Final Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Aviation Accident Factual Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Investigation Docket  - National Transportation Safety Board:

Skyview AG Imaging LLC:

NTSB Identification: CEN16LA135
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, March 25, 2016 in Galena, MO
Probable Cause Approval Date: 06/20/2017
Aircraft: BRANTLY B 2B, registration: N2266U
Injuries: 1 Serious.

NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

Two witnesses saw the helicopter circle three times at low altitude. During the third pass, the helicopter descended to about 20 ft above the ground before it entered a climb. As it climbed, the helicopter entered a spin and descended to the ground. Both of the witnesses stated that the engine continued to run after impact. A postaccident examination of the wreckage did not reveal any anomalies that would have precluded normal operation of the helicopter, and the reason for the loss of control could not be determined. Review of the pilot’s logbook showed he had about 192 hours of helicopter flight time but did not hold a rotorcraft rating.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot’s loss of control for reasons that could not be determined because postaccident examination did not reveal any anomalies that would have precluded normal operation. 

On March 25, 2016, about 1730 central daylight time, a Brantly B-2B helicopter, N2266U, collided with trees and terrain following a loss of control in Galena, Missouri. The pilot received serious injuries. The helicopter was substantially damaged. The helicopter was owned and operated by a private individual under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight, which was not operated on a flight plan. The flight originated from private property in Cape Fair, Missouri about 1715.

The pilot flew the helicopter to a restaurant located about 4 miles from the accident site, where he ate. A witness reported the pilot then started the helicopter and as it was warming up, the engine backfired. The witness reported the engine did not sound "right" to him as the helicopter took off and he thought it was going to contact the trees prior to it gaining sufficient altitude.

The pilot flew about 4 miles southeast where another witness, located across the street from the accident site, saw the helicopter. This witness stated the helicopter circled his property three times, in a clockwise direction. The second pass was about 40 to 60 ft above the trees, during which, he waved to the pilot and the pilot waved back. The helicopter looked as if it was going to land on the third pass as it was about 20 ft above the ground before it climbed out. As the helicopter climbed, the engine power sounded like it was fluctuating. He then saw the tail "dip" and the helicopter began to spin. He lost sight of the helicopter behind the trees, then heard the impact. He stated the engine of the helicopter continued to run for several minutes after the impact. This witness took several photographs of the helicopter as it circled his residence.

Another witness heard the helicopter from inside her house. She stated she went outside and saw the helicopter circle the area three times at an "unusually" low altitude. She stated the helicopter was about 20 ft above the trees in a level attitude when it started spinning to the left and descending. She also stated the engine continued to run after the impact.

The helicopter came to rest in a heavily wooded area. First responders reported the helicopter was leaking fuel when they arrived. A postaccident examination of the wreckage was conducted by a Federal Aviation Administration Inspector. The tailboom was separated from the fuselage which came to rest in a nose down attitude. The red blade was separated from the mast, and the outboard sections of all three main rotor blades were fractured and separated from the inboard sections. The main rotor shaft and planet gear assembly sustained impact damage. Continuity of the rudder control system was established and all separations appeared to be overload. No anomalies were noted that would have resulted in a loss of control or loss of engine power.

The pilot held a private pilot certificate with an airplane single-engine land rating. He did not hold a helicopter rating. A review of the pilot's logbook indicated he had 191.8 hours of helicopter flight time, 119.6 hours of which were logged as pilot-in-command. The pilot logged 122.6 hours in the accident make and model helicopter.

At 1850, the reported wind conditions at the Branson Airport, located 18 miles southeast of the accident site, were 110 degrees at 12 knots.

The National Transportation Safety Board was subsequently notified that the pilot passed away on June 9, 2016.

CAPE FAIR, Mo. - We now know the name of the man who piloted the helicopter that crashed Friday evening.

It was former Stone County surveyor John Read. He received critical injuries after the helicopter went down in Southern Stone County about ten miles southeast of Cape Fair.

Firefighters, medical technicians, State Patrol troopers and sheriff's deputies rushed to the scene. The 69-year-old pilot Mr. Read was airlifted to the hospital.

Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader says Read is an experienced pilot. Radar says he had been a passenger on the man's flights. 

Original article can be found here:

STONE COUNTY, Mo - A man is in critical condition tonight after crashing a helicopter in Stone County. 

The crash took place earlier this evening in a rural area just outside of Reeds Spring.

The Stone County Sheriff's Department says a man flying a helicopter crashed in this wooded area along Y Highway around 5:30 Friday evening.

The crash site is about 300 feet down from the road.

You can see what appears to be marks from the blades of the helicopter striking the trees as it came down through the tree tops.

And from the wreckage you can see it's a two-seater helicopter, but we're told the pilot was flying alone.

Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader says the pilot's name isn't being released at this time but told us it is a local resident.

Rader said, “Just him alone in the helicopter, right now we're notifying family. He flew a lot around here, he happened to be a good friend of mine. I've actually flown with him."

Again the victim was taken to the hospital in Springfield and is currently in critical condition.

 The FAA is expected to be at the site tomorrow to investigate.


Southern Stone County Fire Protection District is reporting a single helicopter crash three miles down Y Highway in Galena.

Southern Stone County Fire Protection District got the call at 5:40 Friday evening. The helicopter was a two seater and crashed on the 3300 block of Y- Highway.

One is in critical condition and is being taken to the hospital by helicopter.

Law enforcement is on scene attempting to put out a small fire.

Story, video and photo gallery:

CAPE FAIR, Mo. -  A private helicopter crashed late Friday afternoon and seriously injured the pilot.  The crash was about 5:40 in southern Stone County near Highway Y at Meadowview Road. That's between Branson West on the east and and Cape Fair on the west, and between Missouri 76 on the north and Table Rock Lake on the south.

The small, private helicopter went nose down into a wooded area.  Parts littered the hillside.

Southern Stone County firefighters, medical technicians, State Highway Patrol troopers and sheriff's deputies rushed to the scene.  A helicopter ambulance took the pilot to a hospital with critical injuries.

The pilot's name has not been released, but Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader says he is an experienced pilot.  Radar says he had been a passenger on the man's flights.

Sheriff Radar says deputies secured the crash scene for the night.  He expects Federal Aviation Administration investigators will arrive Saturday morning to begin their investigation into what caused the crash.

Story and video: 

A man was critically injured following a helicopter crash outside of Reeds Spring, according to an official with the Southern Stone County Fire Protection District.

Public Information Officer Eric Nielsen said the fire department responded to the crash at around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

The man who was critically injured was the only person aboard the helicopter, which sat two, Nielsen said. The man was being transported to a hospital in Springfield, he said.

Original article can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment