Monday, September 28, 2015

Cessna 150F, N8529G: Accident occurred September 28, 2015 near Jefferson County International Airport (0S9), Port Townsend, Washington

NTSB Identification: WPR15FA268 
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, September 28, 2015 in Port Townsend, WA
Aircraft: CESSNA 150F, registration: N8529G
Injuries: 2 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On September 28, 2015, about 1320 Pacific daylight time, a Cessna 150F, N8529G, sustained substantial damage following an emergency landing and collision with terrain after a reported loss of engine power during initial climb near Port Townsend, Washington. The commercial pilot and his sole passenger were seriously injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the personal flight, which was being conducted in accordance with 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91, and a flight plan was not filed. The flight departed the Jefferson County International Airport (0S9), Port Townsend, Washington, about 1315, with its destination unknown.

According to witnesses interviewed by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator-in-charge (IIC), when the airplane was east of the golf course where the accident occurred, the engine was heard sputtering, then backfired; one witness thought he heard it stop completely. Another witness added that he observed the airplane turn west, then north while overhead, before going out of sight behind a stand of trees, after which he heard the sound of a crash.

On the day following the accident, the NTSB IIC surveyed the accident site. Both of the airplane's wings had simultaneously impacted two trees on a heading of north at about the 40-foot level. This was followed by the engine colliding head on with a 28-inch diameter tree in the same direction, and at about the same height. The airplane then rotated about 90 degrees to the left prior to falling vertically to the ground, coming to rest upright in a dense forested area. The forward section of the airplane and both wings were substantially damaged, while the aft fuselage and empennage sustained only minor damage. There was no postcrash fire.

The airplane was recovered to a secured storage facility for further examination

FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Seattle FSDO-01


Two people suffered serious injuries when their small, single-engine airplane crashed at 1:21 p.m., Monday, Sept. 28 at Discovery Bay Golf Course, located about 4 miles from Port Townsend. 

A reporting party stated that the plane engine had stuttered and appeared to lose power before crashing into heavy brush just north of the tee box on the golf course's 17th hole, according to a press release from East Jefferson Fire Rescue (EJFR).

The golf course is just west of Jefferson County International Airport.

EJFR personnel arrived to find two occupants, a man and a woman, entrapped in the wreckage. Both appeared to be in their 70s; their identities were not known at time of transport, according to officials.

When found, the woman was conscious, but the man, the pilot, was not, according to Jefferson County Undersheriff Joe Nole. The man later regained consciousness, Nole said.

Rescue crews used a Hurst Jaws of Life tool to free a man and a woman before transporting them to ambulances, and then used a water and foam spray to neutralize the hazard created by leaking airplane fuel.

EJFR Fire Chief Gordon Pomeroy called in two helicopters from Airlift Northwest. Both helicopters landed nearby on the 17th fairway about 30 minutes after the request.

The two patients were transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Their names have not yet been made public.

Approximately 20 minutes after his arrival, Chief Pomeroy conducted a conference call with the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board to share identifying information from the plane fuselage and details of the wreck.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 2:26 p.m. and turned the site over to deputies from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office.

Firefighters from Port Ludlow Fire & Rescue assisted with the incident response.



No comments:

Post a Comment