Saturday, August 17, 2019

Cessna T303 Crusader, N303TL: Fatal accident occurred August 17, 2019 near Sky Acres Airport (44N), Lagrangeville, Dutchess County, New York -and- Accident occurred February 04, 2018 at Walter J. Koladza Airport (KGBR), Great Barrington, Berkshire County, Massachusetts

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities: 
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Teterboro, New Jersey
Continental Aerospace Technologies; Mobile, Alabama
Textron Aviation; Wichita, Kanas

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Location: Lagrangeville, NY
Accident Number: ERA19FA249
Date & Time: 08/17/2019, 1613 EDT
Registration: N303TL
Aircraft: Cessna T303
Injuries: 2 Fatal, 3 Serious, 1 Minor
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Business 

On August 17, 2019, about 1613 eastern daylight time, a Cessna T303, N303TL, was destroyed after impacting a house shortly after takeoff from Sky Acres airport (44N) in Lagrangeville, New York. The private pilot and one person in the house were fatally injured. Two passengers and one person in the house sustained serious injuries, one person in the house sustained minor injuries. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the business flight, which was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. The flight departed 44N at 1612 and was destined for Republic Airport (FRG), Farmingdale, New York.

According to the passenger seated in the copilot's seat, on the morning of the accident the pilot and two passengers departed FRG and flew to Orange County Airport (MGJ), Montgomery, New York where the pilot had a business meeting. After the meeting, they departed MGM with a final destination of FRG, which included a stop at 44N to purchase fuel. The passenger reported that those flights were uneventful. The pilot fueled the airplane at 44N, where fuel records indicate he purchased 100 gallons of 100LL aviation fuel, which was the only type of fuel available at 44N.

After the fueling, surveillance video at the airport showed several unsuccessful attempts to start the left engine for about 30 seconds. Next, the pilot attempted to start the right engine several times over period of about 30 seconds, and on the last attempt, the engine started. The left engine was then started after about 10 seconds of engine cranking. The airplane remained in position with the engines idling for about 2 minutes before it taxied around to the opposite side of the fuel pump and stopped for about 45 seconds with the engines at or near idle. The airplane then taxied from the fuel pump to the beginning of runway 17 (3,830 x 60 ft) without stopping for an engine run-up and performed a rolling takeoff. The airplane lifted off the runway in the vicinity of the windsock, which is located on the left side of the runway about 2,100 feet from the threshold.

According to the passenger in the copilot's seat, shortly after liftoff at an altitude of less than 50-100 ft, both engines lost partial power. They did not stop completely, they sounded as though they were "not getting full RPM" and they began "studdering", which continued until impact with the house. As the airplane proceeded down the runway, it began to drift toward the left until they were over the grass next to the runway. The pilot corrected the drift and the airplane then tracked straight and remained over the grass. As the airplane continued beyond the end of the runway, it was not climbing, and he noticed obstacles that he described as trees and a structure or building. The pilot pitched the airplane up to clear those obstacles. The airplane then began a left banked turn and as it reached the house the left wing struck the ground and the right wing struck a tree and the house. The airplane had "very little forward motion" after the initial impact. He estimated that the airplane remained below 100 ft of altitude for the entire flight.

The airport manager who was mowing the grass at the airport described the airplane's rotation as "very abrupt" as compared to the other light twin airplanes that he has observed taking off at the airport many times. Immediately after rotation, he noticed the airplane maintained very shallow bank angles, however the nose was "high", and the airplane appeared to yaw slightly to the left. The airplane appeared to correct toward the right before he lost sight of it behind the airport fuel tank; when the airplane emerged from the other side of the tank, the nose was initially lower, but then it pitched up again near the end of the runway before it disappeared behind some trees. The airport manager was wearing ear protection and listening to music and did not hear any engine noise.

The passenger reported that all on board were wearing seatbelts with shoulder harnesses.

Examination of the wreckage revealed that most of the fuselage forward of the aft bulkhead was destroyed by fire. Except for the empennage, most of the wreckage that remained was found within the extents of the right (north) half of the house foundation perimeter. The north half of the house structure and roof was consumed by fire. The empennage remained largely intact and was found with the right horizontal stabilizer leaning against what remained of the rear wall of the house, oriented on a heading of about 030° magnetic. The damaged left wingtip, left engine, right engine, and the right (green) navigation light lens were found oriented along a line from the rear of the house to a bush by the front wall of the house, roughly the length of the wingspan and oriented perpendicular to the empennage. The cabin heater, which is mounted in the nose of the airplane was found about 15 feet away from and in line with the orientation of the empennage.

Flight control continuity was confirmed from what remained of the flight control tubes near the cockpit, to the rudder, the elevator and to the outboard aileron bell cranks in each wing. Neither of the aileron pushrods were found. All cable ends were found at their respective attachment points. The right aileron cable was fractured in one location near the bell crank. The rudder and elevator trim actuators were near their neutral position. The aileron trim condition could not be determined. The remnants of the landing gear were found in the retracted position. The flap jackscrew actuator was consistent with the retracted position. All of the cockpit instruments were consumed by fire and none were located except for one 2-inch diameter dial face that was illegible but consistent with a vacuum gauge. A metal avionics rack was located with ash inside. Several loose metal unidentified toggle switches were found near the cockpit area. Neither of the two electric fuel boost pumps were located. Remnants of both fuel selector valves were found; however both were too thermally damaged to determine their position.

The cockpit engine and propeller controls were located, however the preimpact position of the levers and the cable continuity to each engine could not be determined due to thermal damage.

Several spark plugs, rocker arm assemblies and pushrods were found loose in the wreckage and could not be associated with a specific engine or cylinder.

The left engine was found in an upright position with damage consistent with thermal and impact forces. The crankshaft could not be rotated by hand. All six cylinders remained attached but exhibited impact and thermal damage. Cylinder Nos. 1, 3, and 5 exhibited impact and thermal damage with cooling fins being crushed. Cylinder Nos. 2, 4, and 6 were impact and thermally damaged with the top half of each cylinder melted away. The intake and exhaust rocker arms and shafts were separated from cylinder Nos. 2 and 4. The No. 6 cylinder head separated exposing a thermally destroyed piston dome. Only the piston skirt remained in the cylinder with the piston pin in place.

The left and right magnetos remained attached, but both exhibited thermal damage to the case assemblies. The top sparkplugs removed from cylinder Nos. 2 and 4 were normal in wear when compared to a Champion Sparkplug "Check-A-Plug" chart and slightly dark in color.

The induction components exhibited impact and thermal damage. The throttle body and mixture unit separated and were not located. The fuel manifold was thermally destroyed. The engine-driven fuel pump was thermally damaged, and the drive coupling was stuck in the drive gear resulting in the damaged fuel pump not being removed.

Exhaust components were impact damaged but the turbocharger and associated components remained attached. The compressor side of the turbocharger was thermally destroyed. The turbine section of the turbocharger remained intact. The V-band clamps were intact and in place. The turbine wheel was intact and did not exhibit any abnormal wear or impact damage.

The three-blade constant speed propeller assembly remained attached to the crankshaft propeller flange. A single propeller blade was visible in the debris with the other two blades thermally destroyed. All three propeller shanks remained attached to the thermally damaged propeller hub.

The right engine was found inverted with damage consistent thermal and impact forces. The crankshaft could not be rotated by hand. All cylinder bases remained attached at their respective mounting pad. The cylinder Nos. 1 and 3 rocker covers were partially separated with thermal and impact damage. Rocker arms and shafts were intact on cylinder Nos. 1 and 3. The cylinder No. 5 cylinder head (forward portion) was missing exposing an intact piston. The Nos. 2, 4, and 6 cylinder heads were separated or melted away exposing intact pistons.

The 3-blade constant speed propeller was separated from the crankshaft propeller flange. Three propeller blade inboard shanks were located near the inverted right engine however the blade portions were thermally destroyed. A partial propeller hub was also located nearby with the dome cover and spring intact.

The left magneto was separated from the engine and not recovered. The right magneto remained attached but was impact and thermally damaged. The outer case assembly separated exposing the internal shaft and bearings. The sparkplugs remaining in cylinder Nos. 1, 3, and 5 were removed and examined. When compared to a Champion Sparkplug "Check-A-Plug" chart, bottom sparkplugs 1, and 3 were normal in wear but slightly dark in color. Bottom sparkplug 5 contained debris due to the compromised cylinder head. The top No. 1 sparkplug contained debris consistent with fire retardant foam. The top No. 3 sparkplug was normal in wear but slightly dark in color when compared with a Champion "Check-A-Plug" chart.

The induction components exhibited impact and thermal damage. The throttle body and mixture unit separated and were not located. The engine-driven fuel pump was thermally destroyed. The oil sump was breached and no oil was present. An oil filter was discovered near the engine. This oil filter was cut open and found thermally damaged with no metal particles present.

The exhaust components were impact damaged. The turbocharger and associated components remained attached. The compressor side of the turbocharger was thermally destroyed. The turbine section of the turbocharger remained intact. The V-band clamps were intact and in place. The turbine wheel was intact and did not exhibit any abnormal wear or impact damage.

The twin engine, 6-seat low-wing airplane was manufactured in 1984. It was equipped with two Continental Motors turbo-charged, fuel injected engines which produced 250 horsepower each at 2400 RPM, turning counter-rotating constant speed propellers.

According to FAA airman records, the pilot held a private pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single-engine land, airplane multi-engine land, and instrument airplane. His most recent third-class medical certificate was issued on November 1, 2017. According to his logbook, he had accrued a total of 1,586 hours of flight experience, of which 845 hours were in multi-engine airplanes, including 358 hours in the same make and model as the accident airplane.

An FAA inspector obtained a fuel sample from the fueling station at 44N. He reported that it was blue in color and no water was present.

At 1653, the weather conditions at Hudson Valley Regional Airport (POU), Poughkeepsie, New York, located about 8 miles southwest of the accident site included temperature 30° C, dewpoint 20° C, wind from 170° at 7 knots, visibility 10 miles with broken clouds at 4,700 and 5,500 ft, altimeter setting 29.93 inches of mercury.

The airplane was retained for further examination.

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Make: Cessna
Registration: N303TL
Model/Series: T303 No Series
Aircraft Category: Airplane
Amateur Built: No
Operator: Pegasus Aviation Inc
Operating Certificate(s) Held: None

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site: Visual Conditions
Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: KPOU, 166 ft msl
Observation Time: 1653 EDT
Distance from Accident Site: 8 Nautical Miles
Temperature/Dew Point: 30°C / 20°C
Lowest Cloud Condition:
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 7 knots / , 170°
Lowest Ceiling: Broken / 4700 ft agl
Visibility:  10 Miles
Altimeter Setting: 29.93 inches Hg
Type of Flight Plan Filed: None
Departure Point: Lagrangeville, NY (44N)
Destination: Farmingdale, NY (FRG)

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 1 Fatal
Aircraft Damage: Destroyed
Passenger Injuries: 2 Serious
Aircraft Fire: On-Ground
Ground Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious, 1 Minor
Aircraft Explosion: On-Ground
Total Injuries: 2 Fatal, 3 Serious, 1 Minor
Latitude, Longitude:  41.700000, -73.729167

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email 

Woodmere resident Francisco “Frank” Knipping-Diaz was one of two people who died in the crash of his Cessna T303 Crusader that struck a house in Dutchess County on August 17th. Knipping was considered a prominent Dominican lawyer with the Upper Manhattan law firm of Knipping-Diaz & Associates Inc. He earned his law degree from Touro College in Central Islip and a bachelor’s from Queens College.

Wil Bocker (left) and Gerald Bocker pose for a photo together.

Molly succumbed to her injures. 

Buow and Charlie
Buow was found safe and Charlie remains missing as of Tuesday.

Gerard Bocker loved his community.

Wil Bocker called his dad "a social butterfly."

Around Union Vale, Gerar would often check in with fellow residents, and would chat with parents at his children's sporting events. 

And, the 61-year-old loved his family, a tight-knit group that remained close even when separated by distance. He was a source of support for his two daughters and his son in their careers, Wil said, and also their hobbies.

"No matter where we went to school, my dad always had a presence," Wil, 24, said. "He had such good conversations with people and that's what we've heard time and again as people have reached out, talking about my dad's personality."

Gerard was killed Saturday when a plane crashed into the Bockers' Union Vale home. The pilot of the plane, identified by police as Francisco Knipping-Diaz, a 61-year-old Woodmere man, was also killed. Hannah Bocker, Gerard's 21-year-old daughter, sustained life-threatening injuries.

The crash remains under investigation by state police, the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board. None of the organizations responded to Journal inquiries Monday.

Hannah remained in critical condition Monday, Wil told the Journal. The family is hopeful. And his older sister, 30-year-old Sarah Bocker, who sustained non-life threatening injuries, is doing well.

“We’ve regrouped as a family and we are at Westchester Medical Center," Wil said.

Gerard worked for Verizon for more than 30 years and retired from the company about five years ago, Wil said. Since then, he's worked part-time as a town employee. 

"He loved working with people," Wil said. 

A fundraising page was set up on Facebook to support Bocker's family. More than $68,000 was raised by 3 p.m. Monday. Those in the community said the Bocker family were good neighbors.   

A tight-knit family

This week, Hannah's summer internship with the United States Army Corps of Engineers out of Hopewell Junction is ending. She was scheduled to head back to start her junior year at SUNY Buffalo on Aug. 25, Wil said.

"She's an intricate kid," Wil said, describing his younger sister. "She loves puzzles, being out with the puppies, brain games and reading. She reads more than anybody I know. She loves spending time with the family, we are a pretty outdoorsy type family. We love doing yard work and working on the house, stuff like that."

Each year on the first week of December, the Bockers would go Christmas tree shopping. That, Wil said Monday, is his favorite family tradition.

"It was one of the few times I remember growing up that we were all able to do something together," Wil said. "We'd go up to Pleasant Valley and go pick out a Christmas tree together. We'd come home and set it all up and decorate everything."

Wil said he moved to California a year ago this week to pursue a job in the wine business. He said although the separation was obviously difficult, that it brought his family together even closer. 

"It was even stronger after I left because we have that connection," Wil said. "We all love each other very deeply. We were lucky to have the family that we did."

The crash

Just after 4 p.m. Saturday, a Cessna T303 Crusader struck the south side of the Bockers' two-story South Smith Street Road home, and the structure burst into flames. Gerard, Hannah and Sarah were home at the time.

The Bockers have lived in the home for more than 30 years, neighbors said Sunday. Bill and Judy Keating were among several neighbors who said they rushed to the property upon hearing the collision and seeing towering flames.

Bill Keating said he saw six men, who were neighbors in the area, pulling out two men from the house. It took about half an hour before an ambulance would arrive, he said. 

Hannah, he said, had been "blown out the picture window and landed in a small kiddie pool that they had for their dogs.” Men, he said, helped Sarah out of the house. Barrie Bocker, Gerard's wife and the family's mother, arrived at the house after the incident, the Keatings said.

Two passengers on the plane, identified by police as Eduardo Tio, 50 of Woodmere, Nassau County, and Teoflio Antonio Diaz Pratt, 52 of the Dominican Republic, suffered non-life threatening injuries.

The plane headed from Orange County Airport in Montgomery to Sky Acres Airport in LaGrangeville to refuel, according to the National Transportation Safety Board, which is investigating the crash. From Sky Acres Airport, located less than a mile from the crash, the plane was headed for Republic Airport in East Farmingdale, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Journal inquiries to Sky Acres Airport were declined on Monday. Republic Airport directed any inquiries to the state Department of Transportation. Calls to Orange County Airport went unanswered.

How to help the family

On Sunday, neighbors and friends helped search for the family's pets, including four cats and three dogs. One dog, Buoy, was found safe. Another, Molly, was found wounded and died.

Wil said his family is extremely grateful for all the donations that have poured in to the family in the wake of the tragedy. 

"Everything that people are doing, the community, we are still looking for one puppy," said Wil, who was searching on Monday for a puppy named Charlie, noting he would expect him to be in surrounding area. "If people can keep an eye out for him, that would be excellent."

He added the money will go toward medical bills and getting the family back on their feet and into a home. Wil said his parents bought their home in 1986, the same year they were married. 

"I want it to be known that we, as a family, are extremely flabbergasted by how generous everyone is being, whether they are contributing money, clothes, their time to help search for the dogs," Bocker said. "Obviously we can use any help we can get at this point and time."

Story and video ➤

New York State Police Capt. Paul DeQuarto speaks at a news conference Saturday on the Cessna T303 Crusader crash in Dutchess County, New York.

Major Richard L. Mazzone
Troop K Commander


Union Vale, New York – August 18, 2019, the New York State Police have tentatively identified those involved in Saturday's plane crash at 235 South Smith Road in the town of Union Vale.

The aircraft pilot was tentatively identified as Francisco Knipping-Diaz, age 61, of Woodmere, NY, who died at scene.  His two passengers were identified as Eduardo Tio, age 50, also of Woodmere, NY, and Teoflio Antonio Diaz Pratt, age 52, of the Dominican Republic, both of whom sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

At the time of the crash, the home at 235 South Smith Road was occupied by Gerard Bocker, age 61, who has been tentatively identified pending confirmation at autopsy.  Also present in the home was Hannah Bocker, age 21, who was critically injured, and Sarah Bocker, age 30, who sustained non-life-threatening injuries.  

The New York State Police, NTSB, and FAA continue to investigate the cause of the crash. 

Union Vale, New York – August 18, 2019, the New York State Police investigating the fatal plane crash on South Smith Road in the town of Union Vale on August 17, 2019, confirm there have been two fatalities, and four injured individuals. 

The aircraft pilot and one occupant of the residence were unfortunately found deceased.  Two additional occupants of the aircraft sustained nonlife-threatening injuries.  One resident of the house struck by the aircraft sustained life-threatening injuries, and the third resident present sustained nonlife-threatening injuries.

The New York State Police and fire officials will hold a press briefing on Saturday, August 17, at 7:30 p.m. at the Union Vale Fire House, 3373 Route 82, Verbank, NY,  regarding the place crash that occurred earlier today on South Smtih Road in LaGrange, New York.

Additional Participating Entity:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Bradley, Connecticut

Aviation Accident Final Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Investigation Docket - National Transportation Safety Board:

Aviation Accident Data Summary - National Transportation Safety Board:

Location: Great Barrington, MA
Accident Number: GAA18CA134
Date & Time: 02/04/2018, 1655 EST
Registration: N303TL
Aircraft: CESSNA T303
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Defining Event: Loss of control on ground
Injuries: 1 None
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Personal 


The pilot reported that, while taxiing onto the snow-covered runway for departure, he was unable to see the runway markings. He added that he decided to cancel the flight and return to the ramp, but when the airplane exited the runway, it went down an embankment.

The airplane sustained substantial damage to the empennage.

The pilot reported that there were no preaccident mechanical failures or malfunctions with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation. 

Probable Cause and Findings

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:
The pilot's failure to see the taxiway when returning to the ramp from the snow-covered runway, which resulted in the airplane rolling down an embankment.


Personnel issues
Aircraft control - Pilot (Cause)
Monitoring environment - Pilot (Cause)

Environmental issues
Snow/slush/ice covered surface - Effect on personnel

Factual Information

History of Flight

Loss of control on ground (Defining event)

Pilot Information

Certificate: Private
Age: 64, Male
Airplane Rating(s): Multi-engine Land; Single-engine Land
Seat Occupied: Left
Other Aircraft Rating(s): None
Restraint Used: 3-point
Instrument Rating(s): Airplane
Second Pilot Present: No
Instructor Rating(s): None
Toxicology Performed: No
Medical Certification: Class 3 With Waivers/Limitations
Last FAA Medical Exam: 11/10/2017
Occupational Pilot: No
Last Flight Review or Equivalent: 11/05/2017
Flight Time:  (Estimated) 1427 hours (Total, all aircraft), 223 hours (Total, this make and model), 1205 hours (Pilot In Command, all aircraft), 18 hours (Last 90 days, all aircraft), 10 hours (Last 30 days, all aircraft), 4 hours (Last 24 hours, all aircraft)

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Manufacturer: CESSNA
Registration: N303TL
Model/Series: T303 NO SERIES
Aircraft Category: Airplane
Year of Manufacture: 1984
Amateur Built: No
Airworthiness Certificate: Normal
Serial Number: T30300286
Landing Gear Type: Retractable - Tricycle
Seats: 6
Date/Type of Last Inspection: 03/07/2017, Annual
Certified Max Gross Wt.: 5100 lbs
Time Since Last Inspection:
Engines: 2 Reciprocating
Airframe Total Time: 2650 Hours as of last inspection
Engine Manufacturer: CONT MOTOR
ELT: Installed, not activated
Engine Model/Series: TSIO-520-AE3B
Rated Power: 250 hp
Operating Certificate(s) Held: None 

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site: Visual Conditions
Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: KPSF, 1194 ft msl
Observation Time: 2149 UTC
Distance from Accident Site: 15 Nautical Miles
Direction from Accident Site: 20°
Lowest Cloud Condition:
Temperature/Dew Point: -1°C / -3°C
Lowest Ceiling: Broken / 1000 ft agl
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 4 knots, 40°
Visibility (RVR):
Altimeter Setting: 29.87 inches Hg
Visibility (RVV):
Precipitation and Obscuration: Light - Snow; Moderate - Mist
Departure Point: FARMINGDALE, NY (FRG)
Type of Flight Plan Filed: IFR
Destination: Great Barrington, MA (GBR)
Type of Clearance: IFR
Departure Time: 1215 EST
Type of Airspace: Class G 

Airport Information

Runway Surface Type: Asphalt; Snow
Airport Elevation: 739 ft
Runway Surface Condition: Dry; Snow
Runway Used: 11
IFR Approach: None
Runway Length/Width: 2579 ft / 50 ft
VFR Approach/Landing: None

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 1 None
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Passenger Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Fire: None
Ground Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 1 None
Latitude, Longitude: 42.184444, -73.406667 (est)


  1. N303T ? not a very lucky callsign i guess , was a piper pa 28 in a previous life where it was involved in an incident back in 2017.

  2. I believe it was Francisco Knipping Diaz piloting the plane. He was an attorney in New York.

  3. There's been an awful lot of piston twins going down after loosing an engine. I'm thinking it's a pilot training issue (lack of stick & rudder skills) and dependency on automation.

  4. Yup. Second engine only exists to take the plane to the scene of the crash. So sad so many people died. God help them.

  5. May you rest in peace Molly.

  6. This is right near my hometown of Poughkeepsie. This is terrible news.

  7. How in the world did the two passengers in the plane survive. Wow.

  8. My heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy. It is so amazing to see good and obviously brave neighbors rush to help but it is unfortunate that rescue response was so late.

  9. Typical lawyer. Holds a private pilots certificate and has a picture wearing captain's epaulettes. Perhaps he thought he was a better pilot than he really was.

  10. Twin-engine aircraft are generally very safe when flown with proper training.
    Any pilot can fly a twin with both engines running but it takes a well trained pilot to keep it flying when an engine quits.
    May the beloved rest in eternal peace.

  11. I guess I’m at peace knowing Frank passed doing the thing he loved most ... flying.

  12. Frank was doing what he loved. He was a fantastic captain and made sure everyone else on the plane was safe. Our family is struggling to understand why, but the outpouring of love and support from our family, friends, church and co-workers and fabulous community is overwhelming.

  13. Two things that stuck in my mind after reading the article: no mention of the pilot sumping the tanks after refueling and NO run-up/mag check or pre-takeoff checklist. I think fate was trying to tell him not to go when both engines didn't want to start.