Monday, November 12, 2018

Rockwell Aero Commander 690C Jetprop 840, N840JC: Accident occurred November 12, 2018 near Myrtle Beach International Airport (KMYR), Horry County, South Carolina

Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; South Carolina

Crashed due to unknown circumstances.

C&C Flying LLC

Date: 12-NOV-18
Time: 19:10:00Z
Regis#: N840JC
Aircraft Make: GULFSTREAM
Aircraft Model: 690C
Event Type: ACCIDENT
Highest Injury: SERIOUS
Aircraft Missing: No
Activity: UNKNOWN
Flight Phase: APPROACH (APR)
Operation: 91

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - The Myrtle Beach Fire Department responded after a Gulfstream 690C Turbo Commander crashed into the ocean near Springmaid Pier, according to Lt. Jonathan Evans with Myrtle Beach Fire.

Only one person was inside the plane at the time of the crash, Evans said. Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue Chief Tom Gwyer said a good Samaritan pulled the pilot out of the plane and brought the person to shore.

That Good Samaritan spoke with WMBF News about the incident.

21-year-old Brady didn’t want to reveal his last name or show his face because he didn’t want the attention on himself.

He says he was walking along the beach, watching planes go by as he does frequently since he’s an aviation fan trying to get his pilot's license.

Brady was on the phone with his brother as the plane crashed into the ocean. He then called 911.

“After I got off the phone with 911, I just went into the water and started to go and swim towards it," Brady said.

By the time Brady got to the plane, the water was just above his head.

“I was just like, ‘Hey man, don’t worry. You’re going to be alright sir,’ and stuff like that,” Brady said. "‘I’m going to get you out.’”

Brady then brought the pilot to shore with the help of another Good Samaritan: a hotel employee. Brady says he helped significantly.

“He did all that he could’ve done. So I’m thankful he was there, because it would’ve been extra hard for me to get him on land without him there," Brady said.

Brady had the chance to meet with the pilot at Grand Strand Medical Center.

According to Gwyer, the pilot is in critical condition.

Brady said he spoke briefly with the pilot, and the pilot thanked him for saving him.

No word on why the plane went down.

Original article can be found here ➤

A small airplane went down into the ocean off the shores of Myrtle Beach Monday afternoon, causing a short delay for flights leaving Myrtle Beach International Airport.

Myrtle Beach and Horry County rescue crews worked the scene near the Springmaid Pier and close to the Myrtle Beach State Park. The FAA announced after 2:20 p.m. that all departing flights would be held at gate for an expected 15 minutes or less. Departing planes had the same warning.

Kirk Lovell, spokesperson for the airport, said that he does not know if the plane was arriving or departing from the Myrtle Beach airport.

The pilot of the plane was the only person on board, said Myrtle Beach Fire Chief Tom Gwyer. The pilot made it to the beach, but was taken to the hospital, Myrtle Beach police said.

The plane was trying to land at Myrtle Beach International Airport, but “obviously something went wrong,” Gwyer said.

A good Samaritan saved the pilot from the small plane, and the pilot is currently in critical condition at a local hospital, he said.

The pilot was responsive when rescuers got to the scene. He told them no one else was on board during the crash, and rescue swimmers with the Myrtle Beach Fire Department surveyed the wreckage in the surf, Gwyer said.

Original article ➤

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WNCN) - A small plane has crashed near a pier in Myrtle Beach on Monday afternoon, reports indicate.

The incident happened near Springmaid Pier with the plane ending up in the surf.

Myrtle Beach Fire Water Rescue teams are headed to the scene.

Initial reports indicate only the pilot was aboard the plane at the time.

Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue said that the pilot was safe on the beach after the crash.

Kirk Lovell, the Director of Air Service and Business Development at the Myrtle Beach airport, said a general aviation aircraft is down in the water and the number of people onboard is unknown.

Original article can be found here ➤


Anonymous said...

I bet we ran out of fuel

Anonymous said...

Both props appear to be feathered. FlightAware shows the plane flying past the airport out over the ocean then turning north back towards the airport. I wonder if he ran out of fuel and was trying to maximize his glide but came up short. Lucky to be alive from the looks of the damage.

daveyl123 said...

Maybe Bob was flying another routine, and he misjudged the glide ratio... It looks pretty much like Anonymous described the scenario: Fuel exhaustion.

Leo said...

Only one prop feathered, left side is full fine. Note the IFR conditions for approach. That’s a huge workload for a single pilot, engine out and IFR. Give the pilot some credit, he didn’t stall it in.
It’s possible for fuel exhaustion, but only the fat report will conclude that.
For you non pilots of complex turbine twins, I challenge you to try an IFR approach with an engine out on your simulator. Throw in the half dozen waning chimes, some turbulence and let’s see how well you do. My semi annual simulators for the 414 I fly are no fun given this scenario.

Unknown said...

The starboard prop was feathered and unbent leading me to believe it was not turning

Anonymous said...

I looked on the NTSB website for the N number and it shows it was in a landing accident 3/23/2012, where the fuselage received a tear in the skin during landing in snow and ice and ran off the runway, nothing on this water landing, hope the pilot is OK, have not seen anything else on the pilots condition

Anonymous said...

Update: 200 gallons of fuel were removed from the aircraft prior to salvage.

Anonymous said...

That would be about right if he topped off before leaving Maryland.

Maybe Daveyl can jump in here with some input.