Monday, April 24, 2017

Cessna 182A, Skydive Finger Lakes, N9907B: Incident occurred April 23, 2017 near Ovid Airport (D82), Seneca County, New York

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entity:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Rochester, New York

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Wyoming Aviation Inc:

NTSB Identification: ERA17LA166
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, April 23, 2017 in Ovid, NY
Aircraft: CESSNA 182A, registration: N9907B
Injuries: 1 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On April 23, 2017, about 1250 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 182A, N9907B, was substantially damaged during a forced landing to a field near Ovid, NY. The commercial pilot received minor injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the local flight that departed Ovid Airport (D82), Ovid, New York. The commercial skydiving flight was conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

The pilot reported that on the morning of the flight he used a fuel dipstick to check fuel tank quantities prior to his flight. The fuel tank dipstick was marked in the number of skydiving flights and reserve fuel had a mark as well. The right tank showed a higher fuel quantity than the left and when combined, the stick showed enough fuel for three flight loads of jumpers. He further stated that he fueled the airplane up to the "four load" level five days prior to the accident flight, which was the last time the airplane was flown.

At 0945, the pilot began the first flight for the day. After the flight, he checked the fuel tanks again; the right tank indicated 2 and a half loads and the left tank indicated a half load plus reserve. He stated that he "thought it was odd that he had more fuel after the first flight of the day, but attributed it to rising temperatures and expansion." He thought he had enough fuel for three additional jumps and did not refuel the airplane.

On the fourth flight of the day, at 10,000 feet mean sea level (MSL), after the last jumper had departed the airplane, the pilot initiated a steep left turning descent, between 45° and 60° of bank. He turned on the carburetor heat for the entire descent. At 1,000 feet, he leveled the airplane off and entered the downwind leg of the traffic pattern for landing, when the engine stopped producing power. The pilot was unable to restart the engine and made a turn to land on the runway. When it was evident that the airplane would not make the runway, he performed a forced landing to a field adjacent to the airport. During the ground roll, the airplane nosed over and came to rest inverted.

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector who responded to the accident site reported that the left-wing strut was bent and the firewall was damaged. The engine mounts were broken, the nose landing gear was separated, and both wings were wrinkled. The FAA inspector examined the fuel tanks and found no visible fuel. Further examination of the gascolator screen and fuel inlet screen contained some unknown debris. and engine continuity showed no defects.

According to FAA airworthiness and airplane maintenance records, the airplane was manufactured in 1957. The airplane's most recent annual inspection was completed on April 7, 2017. At the time of the inspection, the airplane had accrued approximately 8,307 total hours of operation. The engine had accrued approximately 1,760 hours of operation since major overhaul.

The wreckage was retained by the NTSB for further examination.

On April 23 at 12:50 p.m., Seneca County Sheriff's Deputies responded to Skydive Finger Lakes on Parish Road in Ovid for a report of an injured person. A small 1957 Cessna 182A single engine craft was reported to have had a possible mechanical problem, resulting in a low power situation.

The pilot attempted to get back to the Ovid Airport but was unable to reach it and had to make a soft field landing in a plowed field just north west of the airport, according to the Seneca County Sheriff's Office.

The plane traveled a short distance, apparently caught in the rough terrain, and then flipped over before coming to a rest on its top. The pilot, Conner Carey, 22, of Ovid, got out of the flipped plane on his own and walked back to the Ovid Airport.

Carey was checked at the scene and then transported by South Seneca Ambulance to Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, PA, where he was treated and released.  

Deputies also discovered that just prior to the aircraft incident Perry Sickler, 49, of Endicott, was sky diving from the involved plane and suffered minor injuries while attempting to land on his feet after a jump. Sickler was transported by Trumansburg Ambulance to the Cayuga Medical Center in Ithaca for treatment.

The Sheriff's Office was assisted by Ovid Fire at the scene. The Seneca County Sheriffs Office will be assisting the FAA in the ongoing investigation. 

Original article can be found here:

OVID, New York - According to Skydive Finger Lakes, on Sunday, April 23 at approximately 1:00 p.m., two unrelated and separate incidents occurred at Skydive Finger Lakes.

Skydive Finger Lakes says the first incident involved an experienced skydiver with approximately 1000 jumps to his credit. The skydiver sustained a hip injury while executing an advanced landing maneuver. During the jump, the skydiver deployed his parachute without incident. His parachute was fully functioning and working correctly. Injuries were sustained during the landing process.

They say second incident involved the plane and pilot of Skydive Finger Lakes. While descending from dropping skydivers, the pilot of the aircraft experienced a mechanical issue and elected to execute an emergency landing in a nearby field. Upon touching down in the muddy and newly tilled field, the aircraft turned over. First responders reported the pilot was conscious and without any signs of injury. As a precaution, the pilot was taken to a nearby hospital to be checked out and was released at 4:00 p.m.

The Federal Aviation Administration and local authorities have been notified. At this time, both incidents are currently under investigation to determine what led to each of the incidents.

Original article can be found here:

No comments: