Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Cirrus SR20, Copy Right Express LLC, N204AK: Accident occurred August 22, 2016 at McKinnon St. Simons Island Airport (KSSI), Brunswick, Glynn County, Georgia

Aviation Accident Final Report - National Transportation Safety Board: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdf 

Docket And Docket Items - National Transportation Safety Board: https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms

Aviation Accident Data Summary -  National Transportation Safety Board:  https://app.ntsb.gov/pdf

Copy Right Express LLC:  http://registry.faa.gov/N204AK

FAA Flight Standards District Office:   FAA Atlanta FSDO-11

NTSB Identification: GAA16CA497
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, August 22, 2016 in Brunswick, GA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 02/06/2017
Aircraft: CIRRUS DESIGN CORP SR20, registration: N204AK
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators used data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator and did not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The pilot reported that after takeoff, and about 150 feet above the runway, the engine had a total loss of power. He further reported that a clear liquid sprayed from the upper cowling onto the windscreen. He aborted the takeoff, landed on the runway remaining, but was unable to stop prior to the end of the runway. The airplane skidded off the runway and impacted the airport perimeter fence, which resulted in substantial damage to both wings. 

During a postaccident examination, the cowling was removed, the electric fuel pump was actuated, and fuel was observed leaking from the fuel input line fitting at the fuel flow divider. After further examination, it was revealed that the torque strip had been disturbed and the fuel line B-nut was found to be loose. After the B-nut was tightened, no fuel leaks were observed. 

A review of the airplane’s engine maintenance log revealed that no recent maintenance had been performed involving the fuel pump, fuel flow divider, or associated fuel lines.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The total loss of engine power during takeoff due to a loose B-nut on the fuel flow divider input fuel line fitting, which resulted in a fuel leak and fuel starvation.

Kent Harrison’s flight to Miami was diverted suddenly Monday morning, instead rerouted to a drainage ditch near Kings Way on St. Simons Island.

But the private pilot viewed crash-landing the Cirrus SR20 airplane into the ditch as his best option after the engine conked out immediately upon takeoff at McKinnon St. Simons Island Airport. Had he not veered it off the south runway and into the ditch, the plane could have plowed through the airport’s property fence and directly into rush-hour traffic on Kings Way.

Harrison, who lives on St. Simons Island, walked away from the 9:11 a.m. crash unhurt. He took the sudden change in travel plans in stride.

“I’m good,” he said, smiling and taking his travel bags out of a rear compartment of the crashed plane.

The plane headed south down the runway and lifted off, traveling about 500 feet in the air before the engine failed, said Robert Burr, executive director of the Glynn County Airport Commission. Harrison put the plane back down on the runway, but there was not enough pavement left to stop, he said.

Harrison said he decided to veer the plane off the runway rather than risk crashing into rush-hour traffic and putting others in danger.

“I couldn’t stop and I was going for the cars,” Harrison said. “So I took it this way.”

Burr credited Harrison’s heads-up maneuver with preventing possible calamity or worse on Kings Way.

“He took the proper course of action,” Burr said. “That was definitely a good call on his part.”

Harrison’s original destination was Tamiami Airport in Miami.

Source:  http://www.thebrunswicknews.com

ST. SIMONS ISLAND, GA. | A single-engine plane skidded off the end of the runway at the island’s airport Monday morning and into a drainage ditch just short of a road.

As the pilot of the Cirrus SR20 was taking off from McKinnon St. Simons Airport about 9:10 a.m., the plane lost power, the Glynn County Airport Commission said.

The pilot chose to land immediately on the remaining runway but, with too little runway left to make a stop, the pilot veered safely onto a grassy area, the Airport Commission said in a release.

There were skid marks that ran off the left side of the runway and through the grass to the ditch were the plane stopped with its nose and cockpit over the shallow water.

The tip of the right wing was crumpled against the airport’s chain mesh perimeter fence that runs a short distance along Kings Way, a road that crosses the southern end of the island. The underside of the plane appeared to have bottomed out on the soil and its landing gear was in the water.

The pilot was the only occupant of the aircraft and was not injured, the Airport Commission said.

The plane is registered to Copyright Express LLC of South Miami, according to an FAA registry.

The Cirrus was bound for Tamiami Airport in Miami.

There was no impact on the operations of McKinnon St. Simons, and the FAA gave permission to remove the airport from the scene, the Airport Commission said.

Source:  http://jacksonville.com

ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. - A pilot walked away from the crash of a small plane Monday morning at the McKinnon St. Simons Island Airport.

The Cirrus SR20 was on takeoff when the pilot choose to land immediately and ran off the runway and into the grass by the fence line, according to a release by the Glynn County Airport Commission.

The Glynn County Fire Department secured the area, but there was no fire. The pilot was the only person aboard and suffered no injuries.

The plane was headed to the Tamiami Airport in Miami, where the plane is registered.

The Airport Commission said the Federal Aviation Administration was granted permission to remove the aircraft.

Source:  http://www.news4jax.com

Officials with the Glynn County Airport Commission say the pilot of a small plane escaped injury Monday morning after crashing during takeoff.

Shortly after 9 a.m., a Cirrus SR20 took off from McKinnon St. Simons Island Airport and promptly lost power. The pilot tried to land the plane on the remaining runway, but there wasn’t enough space. The pilot veered into a nearby grassy area, where the plane came to rest at a fence.

The plane was bound for Miami.

Glynn County firefighters and police secured the scene. 

Source:  http://savannahnow.com

No comments: