Saturday, August 6, 2016

Cessna P210N Pressurized Centurion, N323DC: Accident occurred August 05, 2016 at Waco Regional Airport (KACT), McLennan County, Texas

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entity:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Irving, Texas

Aviation Accident Factual Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

NTSB Identification: CEN16LA356
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, August 05, 2016 in Waco, TX
Aircraft: CESSNA P210N, registration: N323DC
Injuries: 5 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On August 5, 2016, about 1700 central daylight time, a Cessna P210N airplane, N323DC, was substantially damaged when the landing gear collapsed during landing on runway 19 (7,107 feet by 150 feet, concrete) at the Waco Regional Airport (ACT), Waco, Texas. The pilot and four passengers onboard were not injured. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight, which was operated on an instrument flight rules flight plan. The flight originated from the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) about 1630. The intended destination was the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), Austin, Texas.

The pilot reported that the airplane electrical system began to indicate a discharge condition during cruise flight. He elected to divert to ACT. The wing flaps and landing gear were lowered before the airplane lost electrical power completely. Landing gear extension seemed to be normal, which included a green down position indicator light and visual verification of the landing gear in the extended position. He executed an uneventful visual approach and landing touchdown. However, after touching down, the landing gear collapsed. The airplane subsequently departed the left side of the runway before coming to rest.

A postaccident examination of the aircraft electrical system revealed that the alternator was not functioning properly and the voltage regulator was inoperative. Examination of the landing gear system revealed that the right main landing gear down lock mechanism had failed. None of the components were provided to the NTSB for further examination, which precluded any determination of the root cause of the failures. The alternator was repaired and the voltage regulator was replaced. The landing gear down lock mechanism was repaired. The airplane was subsequently returned to service and no further anomalies were reported to the NTSB.
A single-engine propeller airplane with four people aboard landed at Waco Regional Airport at about 6 p.m. with its landing gear still up and caused a runway to be closed for about six hours Friday evening, the Federal Aviation Administration reported.

No one was reported injured. FAA spokesman Lynn Lunsford of Fort Worth identified the craft as a Cessna 210. He did not identify the pilot, but the FAA website said the owner is John M. Meraviglia II of Austin.

Lunsford said the plane was en route from the Dallas-Fort Worth area to Austin when it had to be diverted because of an electrical problem.

“The plane came to rest on its belly on the runway,” Lunsford said. “The runway was closed until investigators could get there and the plane could be removed.”

Two Envoy Air flights had to be canceled.


WACO, Texas (KWTX) The runway of Waco Regional Airport is closed after a small plane made a gears-up landing Friday evening.

A single-engine Cessna 210 propeller plane made the landing just before 6:00 p.m. after some kind of electrical problem on board.

The small plane ended up on its belly, blocking the runway.

No one on board was injured in the hard landing, but the plane was left damaged on the runway.

The runway is closed until the plane can be moved, FAA spokesperson Lynn Lunsford said.

Two Envoy flights were canceled in the meantime.


No comments: