Sunday, April 10, 2016

Mooney M20K 231, Mooney LLC, N96398: Fatal accident occurred April 09, 2016 at Ocala International Airport (KOCF), Marion County, Florida


FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Orlando FSDO-15

NTSB Identification: ERA16FA150
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, April 09, 2016 in Ocala, FL
Aircraft: MOONEY M20K, registration: N96398
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On April 9, 2016, about 0850 eastern daylight time, a Mooney M20K, N96398, was substantially damaged during a forced landing following a loss of engine power after takeoff from Ocala International Airport (OCF), Ocala, Florida. The commercial pilot was fatally injured, and the passenger was seriously injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the flight intended for Lakeland Regional Airport (LAL), Lakeland, Florida. The personal flight was conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

The runways at OCF were oriented 18/36 and 08/26. The departure end of runway 36 was just south of the approach end of runway 26. When facing north, the two runways form an inverted "L" configuration.

Preliminary information from the OCF air traffic control tower revealed that the airplane was cleared for takeoff and began its takeoff roll from runway 36 with about 7,000 feet of runway available. Approximately one minute later, the pilot announced, "I'm losing my engine… I'm going down on [runway] 26."

The OCF ground controller (GC) was receiving a clearance by telephone when he overheard the radio call by the accident airplane. He estimated the airplane was north of the tower about 200 to 300 feet above the runway, before it turned to the west. According to the GC, "The wings rocked a little in the turn, but when he lined up with the runway [26] he looked clean. He still looked high, like he might touchdown past midfield and go off the departure end. He looked stable, but then he turned left. The more he turned the steeper the turn got, and then when the wingtip hit the ground the airplane was 90 degrees."

The passenger was interviewed the day after the accident. She stated that she was not a pilot, but had flown in the airplane several times. After landing at OCF the previous day, the pilot requested a fuel service of 10 gallons per wing, and they then spent the night with family. On the morning of the accident, they boarded the airplane for a flight to the Sun-n-Fun fly-in event. According to the passenger, engine start, taxi, run-up, acceleration, takeoff and initial climb from runway 36 were "normal."

The passenger said she heard a sudden noise "like a click" and the engine stopped producing power. The pilot announced the loss of power and his plan for the forced landing over the radio. The airplane was north of both runways and the left turn westbound was "steady" until the airplane was approximately over runway 26. The wings began "rocking" and the turn continued to the left until the bank was 90 degrees and the left wing struck the ground.

An airport employee said his attention was drawn to the airplane by a "sputter-cough" sound. Demonstrating what he observed with a model of an airplane, he described a straight-ahead descent, followed by a left turn over runway 26, two "dips" which resembled a porpoising motion, and then a sharp, 90-degree left turn to ground contact.

The airplane came to rest on the flat, grass surface of the airport infield and all major components were accounted for at the scene. The wreckage path was oriented 212 degrees and about 300 feet in length. The airplane came to rest upright. The engine and its mount were separated from the airframe, but remained attached by cables and wires. The propeller was separated and located 45 feet down the wreckage path from the first ground scar.

The firewall, instrument panel, and center console were crushed aft in compression, and canted about 45 degrees to the airplane's left. The windshield was destroyed, and the cabin roof was torn spanwise from the door opening to about mid-cabin. The inboard sections of both wings were intact and remained attached to the fuselage. The left wing outboard of the flap was separated by impact. The leading edge of the right wing was crushed aft in compression.

Control continuity could not be immediately established due to impact damage and the airplane's resting position. As the wreckage was sectioned for recovery, control continuity was established from the cockpit through impact breaks and saw cuts to the flight control surfaces.

The engine was rotated by hand through the vacuum pump drive pad. Continuity was established from the accessory section to the valvetrain and powertrain. Compression was confirmed using the thumb method. The turbocharger impeller moved freely when rotated.

The engine and airframe were recovered from the accident site and retained for further examination.

The maintenance records were not immediately recovered, but a copy of the airplane's most recent annual inspection revealed it was performed on June 10, 2015, at 2,435.2 total aircraft hours.

The pilot held a commercial pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single engine land, rotorcraft-helicopter, and instrument airplane. His most recent Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) third-class medical certificate was issued on February 7, 2014. He report 1,670 total hours of flight experience on that date.

Weather reported at the time of the accident included winds from 010 degrees at 9 knots, 10 statute miles visibility, clear skies, temperature 14 degrees C, dew point 3 degrees C, and an altimeter setting of 30.15 inches of mercury.

The man who died in an airplane crash Saturday at the Ocala International Airport has been identified as Ross Grand, 49, of Prairieville, Louisiana.

The crash happened about 8:50 a.m. after Grand reported an issue with the engine and tried to return to the airport after takeoff, according to airport director Matt Grow. A woman aboard the aircraft received minor injuries and was taken to a local hospital.

The airplane was not based in Ocala.

OCALA, Fla. -- While many still slept on an otherwise uneventful Saturday morning in Ocala, airport officials were awoken to the news of a deadly crash at Ocala’s International Airport.
It was just shortly before 9:00 am when air traffic controllers at Ocala International Airport sent out a call for emergency response after a small, single-engine plane made its crash landing.
“It was about 9 o’clock this morning we were advised that a single-engine airplane, four-seat aircraft had crashed on the airport and Ocala Fire Rescue and Ocala Police Department responded,” said Ocala International Airport Director Matthew Grow. 

“Upon our arrival, fire rescue was already on the scene tending to one victim who was outside of the plane and tending to one victim who was still inside the plane,” Ocala Police Department Sargent Matthew Bos said. 

Identification of the victims had yet to be released, though one -- a male passenger -- was reported dead at the scene. The other, a female, was taken to Ocala Regional Medical Center in stable condition. Little is still known as to where the plane was headed or what caused its sudden, deadly descent.
“Air traffic control tower personnel advised that the aircraft was departing on Runway 3-6, that is to say it was departing to the north and it experienced some engine problems," Grow explained. "The pilot turned around to try to come back to the airport and ended up putting in the field— landing in the field.”
“From what we know, the plane was taking off," said Bos. "We don’t know of any kind of trouble with the plane, don’t know what made them turn the plane and attempt to land or if that was just their flight plan.”
Grow said the crash of the single-engine Mooney cedar plane caused the airport to close temporarily while officials tended to the scene. A couple of hours later, the airfield did re-open, though with some limitations. 
“We’re not fully operational yet," Grow said early Saturday afternoon. "Our crosswind runway is still closed because of the proximity of the accident to that crosswind runway, but our main north-south runway is open. We’re open for business.”
Details were scarce as of Saturday evening, though more information was expected to be made known in the coming days, including names of the passengers, and the passengers’ flight plan. Grow, in his eleventh year of employment at Ocala International Airport, said he can't recall the last time there was an on-site crash resulting in a fatality.

Story and video:

OCALA, Fla, - Authorities are investigating a plane crash that happened at the Ocala International Airport.

Ocala Fire Rescue said they were dispatched to 1200 Southwest 60th Avenue at 8:51 a.m. Saturday in response to a small aircraft crash.

Firefighters found two people inside the airplane. One person died and the other was taken to a hospital, officers said.

Preliminary information suggested the plane that departed from the Ocala International Airport encountered problems and the aircraft was turned around.

The National Transportation Safety Board and Federal Aviation Administration were notified.

Airport Operations, Ocala Police Department, Marion County Fire Rescue and the Marion County Sheriff's Office officials also responded.

Story and video:

One person died and another person was injured Saturday morning when a small plane crashed at the Ocala International Airport, Ocala Fire Rescue said.

The crash happened at the city-owned airport shortly before 9 a.m., said OFR spokeswoman Ashley Lopez.

"Preliminary information suggests the plane departed from the Ocala International Airport and encountered problems and the aircraft was turned around," Lopez said.

The person who survived the crash has minor injuries, and was brought to Ocala Regional Medical Center for treatment, Lopez said.

Neither person in the plane was publicly identified.

The runway adjacent to the crash scene was closed.

The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration were notified.

No other information was released.

Story and video:

OCALA, Fla. —One person is dead after a small plane crashed Saturday morning after taking off from the Ocala International Airport. 

Authorities with the Ocala Fire Department said the crash happened just before 9 a.m. on airport property.

Officials said a man was killed and a woman suffered minor injuries. Authorities have not released the names of either person in the plane.

A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said that the propeller-driven aircraft was a Mooney M20. The National Transportation Safety Board will determine the cause of the crash.

Original article can be found here:

No comments: