Monday, January 11, 2016

Cessna 172S Skyhawk, N170RB, Spartan College of Aeronautics: Incident occurred January 11, 2016 near Harvey Young Airport (1H6), Tulsa, Oklahoma


FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Oklahoma City FSDO-15


Date: 11-JAN-16
Time:  16:04:00Z
Regis#:  N170RB
Aircraft Make:  CESSNA
Aircraft Model:  172
Event Type:  Incident
Highest Injury:  None
Damage:  Unknown
Flight Phase:  LANDING (LDG)
City:  TULSA
State:  Oklahoma

The pilot flew the plane out of the field after 2:00 p.m.

A pilot made an emergency landing Monday morning in Broken Arrow.

The pilot took the plane down around 10:15 in a field near 41st and Lynn Lane. 

The pilot was the only person on the plane. Both the pilot and  the plane are safe and intact. 

The pilot took off from RL Jones near Riverside. He said he lost power in the air and could not get it back.

FOX23 Lynn Casey went to the scene after the landing.

- See more at:

The pilot of a small plane escaped injury Monday morning when he made an emergency landing in a field east of Tulsa after the aircraft experienced engine trouble.

Tulsa police spokesman Leland Ashley said the pilot took off from Jones Riverside Airport at Jenks about 9:30 a.m. in the single-engine plane. The engine problems began about 15 minutes later.

The pilot initially thought about landing at Harvey Young Airport or landing at another nearby airport, but decided to land in a field along 41st Street near 177th East Avenue, or Lynn Lane, Ashley said.

The pilot was not injured and the plane did not appear to be damaged, he said.

"He did a very good job," Ashley said. "There were no injuries, and we're very happy about that. We're very thankful nobody else was involved in this."

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the incident.

The plane does not have a history of malfunctioning and will be taken to Kansas for examination, Ashley said.

Story and photo:

TULSA – The cause as to why an aircraft force landed into a field near Broken Arrow is currently being investigated by Tulsa police and National Transportation Safety Board.

Monday around 10 a.m. the pilot of a  Cessna 172S Skyhawk (N170RB) sent a distress call indicating something was malfunctioning on the aircraft.

Tulsa police soon discovered that the pilot left the R.L. Jones airport on Riverside intending to fly to Kansas when the issues started.

The pilot told police he attempted to regain control of the plane but was unable and made a safe, but rough landing in a field just west of S. Lynn Lane and E. 41st near Broken Arrow.

EMSA treated the pilot who did not sustain any serious injuries and was able to leave not long after the crash.

Tulsa police and National Transportation Safety Board say they are working together to determine why the aircraft malfunctioned.

Story, video and photo gallery:

TULSA — A pilot was forced to make an emergency landing after losing power thousands of feet in the air.

Police said the pilot took off from Jones Airport near 81st and Elwood, around 10:30 Monday morning.

He made it about five thousand feet in the air when the  Cessna 172S Skyhawk lost power.

The pilot, Zach Prewitt, a flight instructor at the Christiansen Flight School at Jones Airport, knew his options were limited.

Terry Maurer with the Tulsa Police Department said the first option was to land the plane at near by Harvey Young Airport. But the tiny airport is surrounded by homes.

"He didn't want to try and land a disabled plane around a residential area," said Maurer.

So Prewitt decided on a second, slightly more dangerous option.

"He continued east and found himself a field," said Maurer.

It was there where Prewitt brought the plane down safely.

Maurer said no one was hurt, not even Prewitt. Nothing was damaged, other than, perhaps, the plane.

Not very exciting, said police, and they're glad for it.

"If he'd kept going towards Harvey Young and didn't quite make it and landed on top of a house. We've all seen pictures on TV of other planes when they crash into a housing area. It never turns out well," said Maurer.

Bill Christiansen, the owner of the Christiansen Aviation Center, said he's very proud of the way Prewitt handled the situation.

He said maintenance crews are working to figure out why the plane lost power.

Story and video:

No comments:

Post a Comment