Sunday, May 19, 2013

Legal Action After Bermuda Emergency Landing

A number of the 300-plus passengers aboard a British charter flight which had to divert to Bermuda last month after a small fire broke out in its cabin are taking legal action against UK vacation company Thomas Cook

Sheffield’s “Star” newspaper reports today that Doncaster couple Danny and Liselle McEwan are among the passengers seeking legal advice afters smoke poured into the cabin of their Thomas Cook flight from Mexico to Manchester.

They plan to sue the holiday company, claiming the incident left Mrs. McEwan with carbon monoxide poisoning.

“It was an absolutely terrifying experience,” she told the newspaper. “About 40 minutes after take-off the seat TVs started crackling and there was a strange smell … I was terrified the aircraft was going to burst into flames and plunge into the Atlantic.

“It was obvious there were many other passengers who were also terrified and suffering from inhaling the smoke. Although the smoke kept coming out for a while there were no oxygen masks, and after we were evacuated I almost collapsed and had to be treated by paramedics.”

The couple, who had been celebrating their fifth wedding anniversary, were later told there had been an electrical fire in the in-flight entertainment system.

UK law firm Irwin Mitchell is now taking action on behalf of some passengers of the May 1 Airbus A330 flight.

A Thomas Cook spokesman said: “During the flight a minor fault became apparent and, as a precaution and to establish the extent of the issue, the captain requested a divert into Bermuda.”

The aircraft landed safely and all passengers were looked after in hotels until the fault was fixed and the aircraft was ready for departure the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment