Thursday, August 02, 2012

Coroner Admits Video Footage: Dana Air McDonnell Douglas MD-83, 5N-RAM

The Lagos Coroner, Magistrates Komolafe Oyetade, has admitted video clippings of the crash site on June 3, 2012, of Dana Air plane crash at Iju-Ishaga, Lagos.   The court had earlier summoned some media houses present at the crash site on the day of the incident to come and testify before it.

Media houses such as Channels Television and Television Continental were invited.

Channels Television witness, Mr. Oreoluwa Shonibare, narrated that on the fateful day, he was on duty when he got a call from his director that a plane had crashed at Iju Ishaga.

He said he arrived at the scene at about 3.30 p.m. and met a large crowd at the scene and smoke billowing from the crashed plane which made it almost impossible to see the plane.

Shonibare described how the plane crashed into a two-storey building and destroyed another bungalow. He said he was not aware of the casualty figure, adding that he had to join the rescue effort when he saw the way humans were burning.

He disclosed that he tried to interview some of the rescue officials but they refused to talk to him or give him details of the crash before his arrival.

Shonibare who could not give the precise number of policemen and officials present at the scene, added that the crowd was wild at a point but that the law enforcement agents were able to control them.

He also stated that the rescue effort was a joint effort between the Lagos State Fire Services, Nigeria Emergency Management Agency, Airforce, Civil Defence Corp and other rescue teams.

Mr. Olugboyega Oshifowora, another witness, a reporter from Television continental, told the court that he had gone for an assignment earlier and when he came to file his report in the office, he was immediately told to go to Iju Ishaga, where the plane crashed.

Oshifowora, who was with his cameraman and driver, narrated that on arrival at the scene, his cameraman immediately took pictures of the engine and tail of the plane.

He told the court that he cannot give the exact time he arrived at the site but that he met officials of the Lagos State Fire Services and Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria there when he got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment