Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Aviat A-1A Husky, N26HV: Fatal accident occurred August 15, 2022 at Johnson Creek Airport (3U2), Yellow Pine, Valley County, Idaho

Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Boise, Idaho 

Aircraft crashed under unknown circumstances and came to rest in a creek at the north end of the airport. 

Hotel Victor LLC
Date: 15-AUG-22
Time: 17:20:00Z
Regis#: N26HV
Aircraft Make: AVIAT
Aircraft Model: A-1A
Event Type: ACCIDENT
Highest Injury: FATAL
Total Fatal: 2
Flight Crew: 1 Fatal
Pax: 1 Fatal 
Aircraft Missing: No
Activity: PERSONAL
Flight Phase: UNKNOWN (UNK)
Operation: 91
State: IDAHO

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigation may contact them by email witness@ntsb.gov, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email assistance@ntsb.gov. You can also call the NTSB Response Operations Center at 844-373-9922 or 202-314-6290.

Many fond memories shared of firefighter Daniel Harro, brother Mark, who died in the plane crash.

BEND, Ore. (KTVZ) – Hundreds gathered at Hayden Homes Amphitheater Sunday morning to honor, remember, mourn and share funny, sweet and touching memories and speak of the lasting impacts of two Bend twin brothers – one a firefighter – who lost their lives in the Idaho crash of their small plane nearly two weeks ago.

As befitting the loss of a member of the firefighter family, a procession of bagpipers and drummers began and ended the celebration of life on a sunny, pleasant late-summer Sunday.

In between came so many stories of firefighter Engineer Daniel Harro and his twin brother, Mark – of their outdoor adventures, drive to improve their skills, committed relationships and passionate, devoted ways -- that even those who didn’t know them, or know them well, couldn’t help but leave impressed by the impact they had on so many.

The Harro brothers, 38, were born in Soldotna, Alaska – Mark “older by a few minutes,” related Bend Fire Chief Todd Riley, who became personal friends with Daniel and his wife, Elisif.

When the crowd was asked who among them felt the brothers were a close friend, few failed to raise their hand. “That is what I’d call impact,” Riley said.

“Daniel did not take life for granted,” he said of the man who was due for promotion to captain in December, sharing how despite a sarcastic sense of humor, Daniel would “see the positive in every situation.”

Due to time constraints, Brad Carver, who ran the bike shop in Soldotna, shared just a bit of a few of the stories he prefers to tell at length about the twins' young shenanigans and continued friendship. He said he’s about to turn in the keys to the bike shop, after 30 years, and will “try to life the life Mark and Daniel lived. As Daniel would say, ‘Peace out.’”

Mark’s wife, Kelly, spoke of their love and lives as best friends over a dozen years, since that day he was “asking me to be his camping buddy for life.” She said the art they made together was more successful than what they did on their own: “Our skills complemented each other – Mark built, I designed.”

One of the many friends on hand said the brothers were “likely the best friends you’ll ever have in your life – adventuresome, wild boys who grow up into still wild, but wonderful men.”

Tim Reardon of Bend Fire said Daniel was on the Special Operations Rescue Team, “always looking for ways to make us better.” And he, like many, spoke of his charismatic personality and “dry, quirky sense of humor. His laugh was infectious, and he made coming to work fun.”

Not to mention all the times he and others would join the brothers for skate skiing from Mt. Bachelor or Meissner Sno-Park, as they came down the hill whooping it up, often literally, Daniel calling each day's adventures the “best day ever.”

Several shared their favorite “Harro-isms,” such as Daniel’s simple answer, when asked how great a day it was: “All-time.”

Daniel’s wife, Elisif, smiled widely through the tears as she spoke of how “Daniel exuded joy. He left his mark for positivity and enthusiasm, ‘stoke level.’ It was rare he wouldn't call each day ‘the best day ever,’ and mean it wholeheartedly.”

“People gravitated toward Daniel,” she said. “One reason was that he was always so present and genuine. He made you feel that you mattered. I can’t say how many people have come up to me and said he was like a brother to them.”

While Daniel “never lost the ability to exhibit child-like playfulness,” Elisif said he also “repaired every neighbor’s appliances” and loved to read off all the bargains from the latest WinCo shopping run.

She also recalled how he’d say: “That hill’s not gonna climb himself.” And she told how the two of them flew into Idaho’s backcountry for a special camping trip.

“He helped me stand on so many mountains,” Elisif Harro said. “We packed so many lifetimes into one, that ended far too soon. Daniel didn’t wait for life to happen. He had dreams, and he made them come true.”

She also recalled – first noting how some might think it macabre to bring it up, though she clearly did not – that one of the things he’d say is: “Sleep when you’re dead.”

“He didn’t waste one second of his precious life,” Elisif said, still smiling through the tears.

Then came a slide show of family photos, others with fellow firefighters, the many outdoor adventures – and yes, one of the two smiling brothers flying in that Husky plane, joined by Daniel’s happy dog, Cinder, who survived the crash that claimed them.

The traditional fire service ceremony ended the event – the symbolic ringing of the “end of duty” service bell, the flags presented to the families and the bagpipers playing – of course – Amazing Grace.

In their public invitation to Sunday's memorial, Bend Fire said two GoFundMe accounts have been established to help support the families with expenses. They are at https://www.gofundme.com/f/daniel-harro and https://www.gofundme.com/f/mark-harro.

There are also online memorials for the brothers, where visitors can share encouraging words, memories, and photos for the families. Visit https://www.mykeeper.com/profile/DanielHarro/ to visit Daniel Harro’s memorial page and https://www.mykeeper.com/profile/MarkHarro/ to visit Mark Harro’s page. 

Twin brothers Mark Harro (center) and Daniel Harro (right)

 Daniel Harro, Cinder, and Mark Harro

Daniel Harro

Cinder's story is quite frankly the biggest miracle. She's receiving medical care in Idaho after surviving a plane crash ... one that took the life of our dearest friend Daniel and his twin brother Mark on August 15th. She was presumed to have not survived but was found at the crash site. Her vet bills are mounting, and we want to do anything possible to help alleviate any stress for Elisif during this horrible time. Please consider donating.

BEND, Oregon (KTVZ) -- A Bend firefighter and his twin brother were killed Monday morning in the crash of a small plane at an airport in Yellow Pine, Idaho, the agency and federal investigators announced.

Bend Fire & Rescue Engineer Daniel Harro, 38, was killed in the crash, Bend Fire officials said. The cause of the crash is unknown at this time and is under investigation by local authorities, they said.  

Harro and his twin brother, Mark, also a Bend resident, were returning to Bend from a backcountry camping trip near McCall, Idaho. Both men were killed, fire officials said.

Daniel was the plane’s pilot and an avid flight enthusiast. He is survived by his wife, Elisif.

The crash of the Aviat A-1A Husky occurred around 11:20 a.m. local (Mountain) time at the Johnson Creek Airport in Yellow Pine, Federal Aviation Administration Public Affairs Specialist Steve Kulm said.

Yellow Pine is a small town of about 30 residents east of McCall and about 200 miles east-northeast of Bend.

The plane, which received its airworthiness certificate in 1998, was registered to Hotel Victor LLC in Bend, FAA records showed.

The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board will investigate, with the NTSB in charge of the investigation.

“This is a devastating loss for our family.” said Bend Fire Chief Todd Riley. “Daniel was well-loved and well-respected by everyone who worked with him. We will miss his presence every day.” 

Harro, who had previously worked for the Scappoose Fire Department, began his career with Bend Fire on Jan. 13, 2014 as a firefighter/paramedic.

"Daniel quickly established himself as a proven leader, and became heavily involved with the Bend Fire & Rescue specialty Rescue Team as well as serving on the Bend Professional Firefighter’s Local 227 Executive Board," Bend Fire said in a news release, which continues below:

A strong paramedic, Harro worked with department administrators and physician advisors to assist in the updating of Emergency Medical Service (EMS) protocols, maintaining Bend Fire & Rescue as a top-level provider of emergency medical services in the state of Oregon.

The Bend Fire Department family is shocked and heartbroken by this tragedy. Bend Fire & Rescue administrative staff and Local 227 representatives are coordinating active member honor services for Engineer Harro with the Oregon Fire Service Honor Guard and the Harro family. 

NewsChannel 21's Noah Chast has reached out to family, friends and colleagues of the Harro brothers and will have an update tonight on NewsChannel 21.

If you were close to Daniel or Mark and would like to share your experiences with them, feel free to reach out to Chast at noah.chast@ktvz.com.


  1. Curious as to cause. A very capable plane that’s normally only uses a small amount of that runway to get airborne.

  2. This initial report is vague. Johnson Creek airport is at 4960 ft. elevation. Useful load for the Husky varies with the various models, the highest being 880 lbs with the 200 HP 0-360.

    Wonder what the temp and DA were at II:20 AM? Either had to be engine/mechanical failure, or the pilot mushed it in. Any ideas out there?

    1. The newspaper article has the time wrong. They left very early that morning.

    2. Its likely another case of pilot error while violating one of the usual unforgiving commandments. Fuel management, weight and balance, stall while maneuvering too close to the ground, density altitude, etc. It happens all to often in Idaho, where more GA pilots forget the basics and are killed, than in any other state.

  3. Have been into Johnson Creek during a hot summer a few years ago.

    Departing at 11:20 AM during August heat is not advisable. Get up before the sun rises, pack your gear and take off to the North into the bowl canyon over Yellow Pine. Now, one has to make circular spirals in the box canyon over Yellow Pine and climb to clear the peaks of the bowl.

    We were four souls in a Cessna 205 with gear and all, weighing in at only 100 lbs below gross weight. Temp just after sunrise was in the 50s, yet we barely made the end of the strip clearing the tops of the pines by only feet.

    Never, never fly out of Johnson Creek at noon or later on a hot summer day. Don't care what you're flying.

  4. Their lives started and ended together. So incredibly sad.

    1. As someone with twin brother, this gave me pause. Incredibly sad.

  5. Johnson creek has webcams. I wonder if the feeds are recorded. If so, I wonder if the NTSB knows this.

    1. The cameras at Johnson Creek aren't streaming video, they take single snapshots every 15 minutes.

  6. Johnson Creek airstrip has claimed numerous (many) lives over the years. I will never fly into that strip again ... once is enough. My heart is broken for the twin brothers. Upon reading about Cinder and seeing her photos tears came into my eyes with a lump in the throat.

  7. Early in the morning is correct. I have friends there, they were still in their sleeping bags when it happened. They aren’t late sleepers. Don’t think it’s a performance issue.

    1. Could be. I had an A1B for 20 years. Was careful not to put too much weight in the area behind the rear seat if I had a person in the rear seat. Both brothers look pretty big, the dog Cinder looks to be about 50-60 lbs, add camping gear and and the plane may have been tail heavy. That's not good when leaving a 5000ft high back country strip.

  8. Apparently not the first time for this poor plane. https://planecrashmap.com/plane/ut/N26HV/

    1. In addition to that 2001 snow flipover, there was a stall that turned into a hard landing in 2013, after practicing at Johnson Creek:



  9. NTSB Factual Report
    On January 4, 2001, at approximately 1500 mountain standard time, an Aviat A-1A, N26HV, was substantially damaged while attempting a landing on a snow covered alfalfa field near Eden, Utah. The airline transport pilot, the sole occupant in the airplane, was not injured. The owner/pilot was operating the airplane under Title 14 CFR Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the cross-country personal flight that originated from Ogden, Utah, approximately 30 minutes before the accident. The pilot had not filed a flight plan.

    The pilot said that he departed Ogden to practice landings on a snow covered alfalfa field near his home. He said that the snow at his home was 2 to 3 inches deep; however he did not check the snow conditions in the field before the flight. The pilot said he was flying low over the field, "dragging one tire [tundra tire] in the snow." He said that the snow had a crust on it, and when the tire broke through the crust, it got "pulled down" into the snow. The airplane subsequently nosed over onto its back. The left wing spar, the two wing struts, and the rudder were bent.

    NTSB Probable Cause
    the pilot's failure to maintain aircraft control during a landing attempt. A contributing factor was his failure to check the snow conditions in the field before the flight.

  10. Plenty of great advice on Johnson Creek from the Idaho Division Of Aeronautics in this document : https://itd.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/JohnsonCreek_SOP_Aero.pdf

  11. some initial info indicates fuel valve was in 'OFF' position...

    1. That is very specific information regarding the crash. What would the same source relay about the condition of the aircraft? Did it appear as if the plane stalled into the ground or was it more of a controlled touchdown but with an unfortunate outcome?

    2. Not all familiar with the Husky, but it seems unlikely that a startup, taxi, a runup, oil warmup could be accomplished with a fuel valve in the off position. The likelihood a witness or someone responding to the crash would have turned off the fuel valve due to possible fire.

      Still suspecting a weight and balance issue.

    3. If the engine had a recognizably catastrophic failure, the pilot may have closed the fuel valve during the descent.

  12. possible spatial disorientation.
    Elev 5066 ft, 44.90 °N, 116.10 °W, PJJ - KIDMCCAL30, McCall, ID.
    local ground conditions August 15, 2022, @ 6:30 AM, Tempt 51.0 °F, Dew Point 41.6°F, Humidity 70 %, NNW, 1.8 mph, 29.97 in

    11:20 AM, 75.9 °F, 42.8 °F, 31 %, West, 2.0 mph, 29.97 in


    1. Mon, Aug 15, twilight 6:15:01 am, sunrise 6:45:16 am
      McCall, Idaho
      Latitude: 44.911007
      Longitude: -116.098740

    2. For reference, that 6:15 am time is civil twilight, the time when light becomes sufficient for normal outdoor activities. Nautical twilight for Aug 15 at that link is 5:35 am. If the departure really was 6:30 am, lighting wasn't a problem.

    3. civil twilight conditions "absent fog or other restrictions, the brightest stars and planets can be seen, the horizon and terrestrial objects can be discerned, and in many cases, artificial lighting is not needed." @weather.gov.
      All well and good on a clear morning in flat Kansas, yet @ 3U2's single 17/35 strip, the "Obstructions: 40 ft. trees, 25 ft. from runway, (NUMEROUS +60' TREES ADJACENT TO EACH SIDE OF RY.) 100 ft. left and right of centerline 900 FT RIDGE 4000 FT ON CNTRLN; 4 FT FENCE 115 FT ON CNTRLN + 30-60 FT TREES 600 FT ON CNTRLN," @airnav.
      PIC may have experienced limited mixed lighting conditions shortly after departure, thus "possible spatial disorientation."

    4. @Gbear - Photo from google maps linked below is looking toward the East with the J.C. airstrip visible down below. True enough that the ridge east of the airstrip would have kept the strip in shadow until well after sunrise.


    5. I took off from JC at 0630 a few days ago and plenty of light. No issue.

  13. Where's the NTSB report? Seems odd that it's not available yet.

    1. Nine days after the crash would be a fast prelim report.

  14. If the initial reporting text in ASIAS for the AIN is accurate, the statement "came to rest in a creek at the north end of the airport" implies this map-pinned location:

    The crash could have come during a precautionary return or be representative of a failed immediate turnback attempted on power loss. The description of the location as in the creek at the north end of the airport instead of being described simply as north of the airport supports the possibility of a straight ahead descent on loss of power that began before the turf runway was behind the aircraft.

  15. One commenter stated that after the crash the fuel valve was found to be in the OFF position. This might explain a straight-ahead descent on loss of power resulting in the crash.

    The preflight check list for the Aviat has two entries for checking the fuel valve; BEFORE STARTING ENGINE and BEFORE FLIGHT.

    1. Pure speculation about the fuel valve. Who is the source of this false information?

  16. Carburetor ice perhaps? I once had a close call taking off out of Salida, CO on such a cool summer morning with comparable humidity. After circling the field once at low altitude the problem cleared, full power was restored, and I was on my way.

  17. Preliminary came out, shows crash location as in the creek beside the north end of the green turf portion of the strip. The inset photo of the wrecked Husky looks like a hard hit on the nose.

    Not being discovered until hours later limits the chances of survival if you are still alive after impact - maybe a lesson learned here is to have someone watch your back country departure if there is anyone else there who can do so.

    1. unreal that "A witness camping at the Johnson Creek Airport (3U2), Yellow Pine reported that, the morning of the accident flight, he observed the accident airplane taxiing to runway 35. Due to the cooler weather, he returned to his tent. He recalled hearing the airplane’s engine rpm rise, like the pilot was conducting a runup. The witness stated that he then heard the airplane takeoff, which was followed shortly after by a sound similar to a "door slamming shut". Between 1030 to 1045, he departed runway 35, flew over Yellow Pine, before returning to and flying over 3U2. While overflying the north end of the airport, he observed the accident airplane in the creek near the departure end of runway 35."

  18. prior N26HV AVIAT AIRCRAFT INC A-1A. https://www.accidents.app/summaries/accident/20130622X44621

  19. I will share some facts, no more, no less. Time of departure officially 6:30AM, absolutely no question. Dog weighs 38pounds, nothing else placed behind with her. Brothers weighed between 180-190 respectively. Only light stuff like sleeping bags and waders placed in tail. All other gear underneath in Airglas Cargo Pod under belly. Fuel valve is a bogus rumor and is not fact. Sincere thank you for keeping this respectful. We all want answers, I do too, with the overarching goal of this never happening to someone again.

    1. also reported "Examination of the accident site revealed that the airplane impacted terrain about 265 ft northeast of the departure end of runway 35. The airplane came to rest upright in a creek, on a heading of about 116° magnetic, at an elevation of 4,892 ft mean sea level (msl). No visible ground scars or damaged vegetation were observed in the area near the wreckage. All major structural components of the airplane were located at the accident location. The wreckage was recovered to a secure location for further examination." @ ASN

    2. "sleeping bags and waders placed in tail"

      Not factual. No compartment back there. Defies design. Bogus.

    3. For those misinformed there are options to place light weight / soft items aft of the official baggage compartment. Husky has created the aft storage area also a aftermarket hammock / bag area has been created 30lb max

    4. The Eye-n-Sky cargo bag extends a lot further aft than Husky's aluminum cargo box option. W&B effect may have been inconsequential if the wreckage inspection only found sleeping bags and such back there, but the long moment arm at the aft end of the bag creates a huge risk if there is a loading mistake.

    5. A remote possibility exists of fouling flap cable pulleys at the forward end of the internal tail space if bulky items were placed back there, particularly if no containment bag or cargo box is installed. Husky flaps are cable-pull to actuate, with return springs at each wing bellcrank, which also makes a split flap condition possible if the left or right pulley above the wye bridle gets fabric, strap or cord material drawn into it and the flap on that side can't come back up. More of a risk on "pop the flaps" takeoffs.

      Flap system diagram on sheet 3:

  20. I apologize. I misspoke. I meant the baggage compartment area. I don’t know the terminology, so I am happy to clarify if I say something confusing or wrong and explain what I meant…but, please don’t be rude, of which you were. You are speaking to his wife and I hope at the very least you could be respectful.

  21. And you know what. I’m actually out. Like I said before, I was merely trying to clear up information that I know to be true for the reason of having all the facts to figure out how to have this never happening again. Isn’t that the whole point of this website? Maybe I’m wrong, maybe it’s just to have your voice heard loudest over everyone else.

    It was hard to read things in question that I knew the exact answer to. But, with that being said, I am just muddying the water because I don’t know all the terminology so I will remove myself from this conversation.

    Just know, you never know who you will be talking to, consider why you are saying what you are saying/what is your motive, and I hope to god no one participating is ever in this situation. Am I sensitive right now, of course I am, you or any of your loved ones would be to.

  22. That poster was rude and out of line. Nothing you said sounded bogus or strange. Thank you for contributing some facts for all of us that are wanting some explanation for this.

    I am so, so sorry for your loss and the loss to the brothers’ community.

  23. Hope the FAA accident investigation looks at the mufflers for any obstruction due to internal failure, Which will reduce power available by a large amount. More than one Husky fatal accident due to this problem. There is a Manufacture Service Bulletin requiring internal inspection of the mufflers with a fiber optic borescope during the airplanes Annual Inspection. As of now there is not an FAA Airworthiness Directive mandating inspection at every annual inspection.

  24. As far as W/B issue, it flew in with no problem and assume they flew the plane with similar loads together in the past....