Monday, December 16, 2019

Robinson R44 Raven II, N440AH: Accident occurred December 14, 2019 in San Antonio, Texas

Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; San Antonio, Texas

Aircraft crashed under unknown circumstances.

Alamo Helicopter Tours San Antonio LLC

Date: 14-DEC-19
Time: 00:45:00Z
Regis#: N440AH
Aircraft Make: ROBINSON
Aircraft Model: R44
Event Type: ACCIDENT
Highest Injury: NONE
Aircraft Missing: No
Flight Phase: EN ROUTE (ENR)
Operation: 135
City: San Antonio
State: TEXAS

SAN ANTONIO — Traffic at a major intersection on the south side was diverted after a helicopter crashed into the road. 

Police blocked off the intersection of East Southcross and South Presa Street after a Robinson R44 Raven II helicopter crash.

A witness told KENS 5 that two people got out of the wreckage and appeared to be in stable condition. Authorities said two people are being treated for minor injuries. Three people - the pilot and two passengers - were on board.

The helicopter hit utility lines on the way down and CPS Energy had a crew checking on the lines, police said.

According to police, the flight was going smoothly until the pilot heard and felt a bang. The helicopter lost power and the pilot brought the aircraft down. While there were cars in the area, it appears that none crashed into the helicopter.

The helicopter belongs to Alamo Helicopter Tours San Antonio, which appears to operate out of Stinson Airport, which is not far from the scene of the crash.

Story and video ➤

In what police described as a miracle, three people walked away from a helicopter crash with only minor injuries after the craft struck power lines while attempting an emergency landing on the South Side Saturday afternoon.

The pilot reported he and his two passengers heard a large boom while mid-flight and then the helicopter lost power, San Antonio police said.

Officers say they received calls about a downed helicopter in the 4600 block of South Presa Street around 4:58 p.m.

Officer Brendan Pratt said the destination of the helicopter, who owns it, or where it originated remains under investigation. He also said CPS Energy crews were at the scene checking on the condition of the power lines. The pilot and two passengers were treated at the scene.

Bob Peterson, a resident who lives along South Presa Street, said he heard an explosion and then his cable went out. "It was a sound like I had never heard before,” he said.

Mary Grace Garcia, who was with her husband at a nearby gas station, said she could hear puttering as if something had run out of gas. When she looked up she said she saw the helicopter only about 50 feet in the air.

“I thought it was going to crash here,” she said outside of a Stop-N-Shop convenience store. “But it kept going down the road and then I heard a boom.”

As of 6 p.m., traffic along South Presa Street remained blocked off and the mangled white helicopter was still lying on its side in the street.

Pratt said Federal Aviation Administration investigators will determine the official cause of the crash.

Local media report the Robinson R44 Raven II belonged to a helicopter tour company.

Original article can be found here ➤

SAN ANTONIO – A helicopter had to make an emergency landing after it hit a power line on the South Side.

The helicopter landed near the intersection of South Presa and East Southcross streets Saturday evening, according to the San Antonio police officer Brandon Pratt.

Three people were on board the helicopter when the pilot “felt and heard a bang," Pratt said.

The helicopter lost power, hit power lines above the cabin and made the emergency landing in the middle of the street.

No cars were in the street at the time of the landing, Pratt said.

None of the helicopters’ occupants were seriously injured. They did not have to be extracted from the rotorcraft.

“This is going to be the best outcome that we could have,” Pratt said.

Officials suspect the cause of the crash was due to a mechanical error.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the crash.

Story and video ➤


  1. From a separate news article I read the pilot did an excellent job getting her down.

  2. Thank you, it was a difficult landing area with numerous power lines. I did my best to avoid as many as I could but in order to land in the safest area between the traffic driving on the street, I had to go through two small utility lines shortly before we were to set down without engine power. My passengers were uninjured, I broke two ribs. The crash was caused by a manufacturers defect.