Saturday, June 08, 2019

Beechcraft A36 Bonanza, N8014T: Fatal accident occurred June 08, 2019 in Southold, Suffolk County, New York

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Farmingdale, New York
Continental; Mobile, Alabama

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board: 

Location: Southold, NY
Accident Number: ERA19FA189
Date & Time: 06/08/2019, 0914 EDT
Registration: N8014T
Aircraft: Beech A36
Injuries: 2 Fatal
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Personal 

On June 8, 2019, at 0914 eastern daylight time, a Beech A36, N8014T, was destroyed by impact with terrain and a post-crash fire during a forced landing in Mattituck, New York. The commercial pilot and a passenger were fatally injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the flight which originated at the MacArthur-Islip Regional Airport (ISP) at 0900 and was destined for Hanscom Field Airport (BED), Bedford, Massachusetts. The personal flight was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

Preliminary radar and communications data from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) revealed that taxi, engine run-up, takeoff and communications with the airplane were routine. After the airplane departed ISP class D airspace to the northeast, the controller approved a radio frequency and transponder code change which terminated communications with the airplane at that time, as the pilot had not requested flight following services.

About 0911:52, at 3,325 ft and 107 knots groundspeed, about 1 mile north of the shoreline near Northville, New York, the airplane's track turned right from its on-course heading of 060°, and the target began a descent. The airplane turned to about 120° and at 0912:41 it crossed the shoreline at Suffolk, New York at 2,175 ft and 88 knots. About that time, the pilot contacted air traffic control and announced the airplane had experienced "engine failure" and that he would perform a forced landing in a field.

The controller assigned the airplane a discrete transponder code and requested information from the pilot. During the exchange, the pilot again announced his intention to "land in a field." About one minute later, the controller transmitted that radar contact was lost, and there were no further communications from the airplane.

The radar track showed that the airplane turned eastbound approximately over New York State Route 48. The airplane continued to descend over SR48, before it entered a tight left turn, reversed course to the west around the commercial farm, where the target disappeared. The last radar target was depicted at 25 ft and 88 knots about 200 ft east of the accident site.

Witnesses near the accident site described the airplane as flying "low" and one witness asked another if the airplane "was a crop-duster." One witness stated he heard the engine, and another said he did not.

Surveillance video recorded depicted the airplane at low altitude in a steep left bank as it turned from a northerly to a westerly heading, contacted the ground, and disappeared out of the camera's view. A dark plume of smoke appeared immediately after.

The pilot held a private pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single-engine land and instrument airplane. His most recent FAA third class medical certificate was issued May 24, 2019. He reported 11,090 hours of flight experience on that date.

According to FAA records, the airplane was manufactured in 1990 and was powered by a Continental IO-550-B 300-horsepower engine. Its most recent annual inspection was completed February 21, 2019 at 4,695 total aircraft hours. The airplane's most recent maintenance was performed May 31, 2019 at 4,731 total aircraft hours.

The airplane came to rest inverted on a commercial farm. The wreckage path was oriented 270° and was 105 ft in length.

Examination of the wreckage revealed that all major components were accounted for at the scene. The cockpit, cabin, empennage, and both wings were consumed by post-crash fire. The vertical fin, and left horizontal stabilizer were impact damaged, but intact. The right horizontal stabilizer was separated by impact. Flight control continuity was confirmed from the cockpit area to all flight control surfaces. The landing gear was observed in the retracted position. The flaps were in a position consistent with the retracted position. The flap actuator was destroyed by fire and the actual pre-accident position could not be confirmed.

The propeller was separated from the crankshaft, and all three propeller blades were secure in the hub. Each blade exhibited similar aft bending and light chordwise and spanwise scratching. Some leading-edge polishing was also observed.

The engine was rotated by hand through an accessory drive pad and powertrain continuity was confirmed through the valvetrain to the accessory section. Thumb compression was confirmed on all but cylinders Nos. 2 and 6. Borescope examination of those cylinders revealed debris around the valves consistent with soot and ash, which prevented full seating of the valves. Borescope examination of all cylinders revealed signatures consistent with normal wear and lubrication.

Examination of the spark plugs revealed normal wear and the electrodes were light grey in color. The magnetos were removed and rotated. The impulse couplings would "snap" but no spark was produced. Disassembly of each magneto revealed the internal components were damaged (melted) by heat exposure. The fuel manifold was removed and disassembled. Examination revealed trace amounts of fuel. The internal spring, diaphragm, and screen were all intact and absent of water and debris.

The engine driven fuel pump was removed and rotated with a drill. Air was drawn into the intake port and exited the output ports when the pump was actuated.

At 0910, the weather recorded at Francis S. Gabreski Airport (FOK), Westhampton Beach, New York, 9 miles southwest of the accident site included clear skies and winds from 040° at 10 knots. Visibility was 10 statute miles, the temperature was 22°C, and the dew point was 13°C. The altimeter setting was 30.13 inches of mercury.

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Make: Beech
Registration: N8014T
Model/Series: A36
Aircraft Category: Airplane
Amateur Built:No 
Operator: Ri Aviation Services Llc
Operating Certificate(s) Held: None 

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site:
Condition of Light:
Observation Facility, Elevation: KFOK, 67 ft msl
Observation Time: 0910 EDT
Distance from Accident Site: 9 Nautical Miles
Temperature/Dew Point:
Lowest Cloud Condition:
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: / ,
Lowest Ceiling:
Altimeter Setting:
Type of Flight Plan Filed: None
Departure Point: New York, NY (ISP)
Destination: Bedford, MA (BED)

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries:2 Fatal 
Aircraft Damage: Destroyed
Passenger Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Fire: On-Ground
Ground Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 2 Fatal
Latitude, Longitude: 40.987500, -72.580000 (est)

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email 

MATTITUCK - Police have identified the two people who were killed Saturday in a small plane crash on a North Fork farm field.

Southold police say 66-year-old Robert Mark, of Oakdale, was piloting the plane. Susan Quagliano, 57, also of Oakdale, was a passenger.

As News 12 has reported, the pair was killed when their small plane went down in a field at Harbes Farm in Mattituck shortly after 9 a.m.

Officials say the plane took off from MacArthur Airport and was headed to Massachusetts when the pilot radioed that he was having engine trouble.

News 12 is told that there was also a dog on board that survived the crash.

No one on the ground was hurt.

The FAA and NTSB are investigating.

Original article ➤

MATTITUCK, New York (CBSNewYork) – Two people were killed when a small plane crashed on the North Fork of Long Island Saturday morning.

The Beechcraft A36 with two people aboard went down at around 9:15 a.m. near Sound Avenue in Southhold, according to the FAA, reports CBS2’s Dave Carlin. 

Southhold Town Supervisor Scott Russell said both people on board were killed in the crash. Their names were withheld by police.

Incredibly, a dog who was also on the plane somehow managed to survive, according to Southhold Police.

The plane was en route to Bedford, Mass. from MacArthur Airport.

A witness to their last moments was Mattituck’s William Wallace who was outside by his pool.

“i just thought wow that is really low,” said Wallace. “Being as low as he was and I think about it, I didn’t hear anything so maybe his engine was already cut on him already and that’s why he was listing.”

The plane was en route to Bedford, Mass. from MacArthur Airport.

“This morning around 9:30am, a small plane crashed in our field after flying low over our property. Firefighters, police officers and rescue personnel arrived at the scene within minutes and put out the ensuing fire,” Harbes Farms said in a statement. “This is a sad tragedy, and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the passengers of the aircraft.”

John Duell is a pilot who lives in Cutchogue and owns a similar model aircraft. He said he thinks it’s unlikely he knows the pilot who was heading to New England. He expect it will be a few days before the cause is known.

“Doubtful it was a lack of fuel or anything because they had just taken off, and there was a fire so it must’ve been something else mechanical,” said Duell.

The dog that survived the crash was later found by a farmer the dog was handed over to police officers, who waited for friends of the victims to retrieve the animal.

Investigators said it seemed the pilot made sure to avoid a populated area or road, aiming for a freshly cut field to stay away from roadways or farm stands.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash.

“They’ll extricate the bodies and well bring the aircraft wreckage to the impound, and the FAA and the NTSB will conduct their investigation,” said Lt. Richard Perkins of the Southold Town Police Department.

Original article can be found here ➤

A small plane crashed in a farm field on the north end of Harbes Farm in Mattituck Saturday morning killing two passengers on board, according to Federal Aviation Administration and police officials.

An FAA spokesperson said two people were on board the Beechcraft A36 when it crashed about 9:15 a.m. Lt. Richard Perkins of the Southold Police Department confirmed both passengers died in the crash. He said a dog escaped from the plane and survived. Investigators said the dog has been retrieved by a friend of the victims.

The plane had departed MacArthur airport around 9 a.m. before running into engine trouble en route to New England, Lt. Perkins said. The fire was extinguished by members of the Jamesport Fire Department, he said.

Investigators say the victims were a man and a woman, both from Oakdale. They are believed to be a boyfriend and girlfriend. Their names have not yet been released.

The FAA said it will be investigating the incident and the National Transportation Safety Board will determine the cause of the crash.

Chief Mario Carrera of the Jamesport Fire Department offered his condolences to the family of the victims in a statement he gave to the media.

“We arrived on the scene and the plane was pretty much fully engulfed and burning very well,” he said. “It was lost to the point where [the fire] was going out.”

Mr. Carrera said volunteers responded with two engines and heavy rescue equipment, dousing the last of the flames while doing their best to preserve the scene for investigators.

The Harbes Family released the following statement:

“This morning around 9:30 a.m., a small plane crashed in our field after flying low over our Mattituck property. Firefighters, police officers and rescue personnel arrived at the scene within minutes and put out the ensuing fire.  This is a sad tragedy, and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the passengers of the aircraft.”

Original article ➤

Two people were killed when a small, single-engine plane crashed Saturday morning in a farm field on the North Fork after taking off from Long Island MacArthur Airport, officials said.

The Beechcraft A36 Bonanza took off at about 9 a.m. from MacArthur, where it is based, and crashed around 9:15 a.m. in Southold Town, according to the Federal Aviation Administration and MacArthur's commissioner.

Kenneth Cooper, of Wading River, one of the first to reach the crash site at Harbes Family Farm in Mattituck, said he was driving east on Sound Avenue when he saw the plane flying north but at too low an altitude and realized it might be in trouble as there is no airport nearby.

“About a quarter mile in front of me, the plane came out of the sky at a very sharp angle, banked to the left — within 40 seconds I saw this giant plume of black smoke” after it hit the ground, after slicing through “a bunch of scrub brush and trees,” Cooper said.

Lt. Richard Perkins of Southold Town police said he did not have the names of the two occupants who were killed. A dog in the plane escaped the wreckage, and police believe a nearby farmer has it.

Southold Town Supervisor Scott Russell said the two occupants of the plane, a man and a woman, were flying to New Bedford, Massachusetts.

“The plane started to experience engine failure, circled once, tried to land in a farm field up in Laurel, and then ultimately crashed in the field,” Russell said.

After witnessing the plane plummet, Cooper then drove down a dirt road to the crash site, spotting the propeller about 100 feet from the wreck. 

“It was a pretty horrible scene," he said. “There were just personal items strewed all over the place,” including a cap and a pocketbook. 

Cooper saluted the pilot for avoiding crashing into any homes, managing to stay aloft long enough to reach what appeared to be a freshly plowed field.

“The person who was flying the plane obviously cared about the residents and put it down as best he could in the safest place possible,” Cooper said.

The Riverhead Police Department received a call about the crash at 9:19 a.m., Perkins said.

Jamesport Fire Chief Mario Carrera said that when firefighters “arrived on the scene, pretty much the plane was fully engulfed and burning very well, almost to the point where it was actually going out.”

“We applied water to put out the flames without destroying anything that would be necessary in an investigation,” he said.

Perkins said officials from the FAA were on the scene and is the lead investigatory agency. Officials from the National Transportation Safety Board were en route, he said.

An employee with the Suffolk County medical examiner’s office arrived early Saturday afternoon.

“The bodies are being removed, and the wreckage will remain until it is gone over by the NTSB,” said Southold Police Det. Sgt. John Sinning.

NTSB spokesman Terry Williams, said the investigator will be there for a couple of days during the on-scene phase of the investigation.

He’ll be documenting the site, looking at the aircraft, and doing a review of the engine as well as of the aircraft itself, Williams said.

There will be a preliminary report in about seven to 10 days, but "there will be no analysis or determination of probable cause, just information we learned early in this phase of the investigation," he said.

Evelyn Martinez, daughter of Ed Harbes, who owns Harbes Family Farm, said in a statement the plane "crashed in our field after flying low over our property."

"This is a sad tragedy, and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the passengers of the aircraft," Martinez said.

MacArthur Commissioner Shelly LaRose-Arken confirmed the Beechcraft was based at that airport and not “a transient.” She declined to reveal to whom the plane is registered.

Original article ➤

No comments:

Post a Comment