Saturday, February 23, 2019

Cessna 182G Skylane, VH-DGF: Accident occurred January 06, 2019 at Tooradin Airport (YTDN), Victoria, Australia

NTSB Identification: WPR19WA059
14 CFR Non-U.S., Non-Commercial
Accident occurred Sunday, January 06, 2019 in Tooradin, Australia
Aircraft: Cessna 182, registration:
Injuries: 5 Uninjured.

The foreign authority was the source of this information.

On January 6, 2019, at 1045 local time, a Cessna 182G, VH-DGF, collided with trees following a loss of engine power during the initial climb near Tooradin, Australia. The pilot and four passengers were not injured. The airplane was substantially damaged. The airplane was operated under the pertinent civil regulations for the government of Australia.

The investigation is under the jurisdiction of the Government of Australia. This report is for information purposes only and contains only information released by the Government of Australia. Further information pertaining to this accident may be obtained from:

Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB)
P.O. Box 967, Civic Square
Canberra A.C.T. 2608
Tel: +612 6274 6054
Fax: +612 6274 6434

It is not every day you survive a plane crash, let alone have the presence of mind to film it.

But taking off from Tooradin Airport on Sunday morning, it took just seconds for a seasoned troop of skydivers to realize their Cessna 182G Skylane was in trouble.

"We could hear the stall noise going off and we knew we were in shit," says skydiver Oliver, who asked 9News not to use his real name.

"From the engine cutting out, we had almost no time to react.

"It was pretty much everyone hold on for the ride and do what you, just hope for the best," he said.

The Cessna 182G Skylane, VH-GDF, had barely made it two kilometres, when its engine shut down and couldn't be restarted.

At just 400 feet above the ground, Oliver says the pilot had less than 30 seconds to save their lives.

"He told us to brace. We waited for impact. Impacted the ground. Went through fences and what-not until we came to a sudden stop.

"When we hit the ground we were still intact. It was definitely a hard thud, but probably the softest plane crash I'd ever had.

"He did an awesome job of it. He was a ripper pilot."

A GoPro attached to Oliver's helmet captured the frightening moment of impact.

All five on board were alive, but on the ground they were in just as much danger; as fuel from a ruptured left wing poured over the cabin.

"You did know, like at any moment the aircraft could ignite because there was a lot of fuel coming out," said Oliver.

"We've extracted everyone out the aircraft to make sure everyone was safe. No one was being left behind."

Kicking out the side door of the Cessna 182G Skylane, everyone on board managed to evacuate safely to a private dirt road.

Each of the five walked away with little more than a blood nose.

"People might have a few bruises like a couple of days later but everyone lived and that's all you can ask for."

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is investigating the crash.

The Cessna 182G Skylane is still sitting in the paddock, 24-hours on, lying exactly where it crashed, waiting to be cleared.

Chief pilot from Skydive South East Melbourne, Chris Barry was full of praise for the pilot he trained, saying his actions under pressure saved five lives.

As for Oliver and his fellow skydivers, Sunday's near miss isn't playing on their minds.

"You could have a car accident just walking down the street so it's not going to stop us.

"If we could get another plane (to do another jump) we would have gone today."

Story and video ➤

No comments:

Post a Comment