Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Keuthan Buccaneer II, N234HM: Incident occurred October 29, 2018 in Camp Lake, Kenosha County, Wisconsin

Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Milwaukee, Wisconsin

While taxiing on a lake aircraft began taking on water and submerged in water.

Date: 29-OCT-18

Time: 20:00:00Z
Regis#: N234HM
Aircraft Model: BUCCANEER II
Event Type: INCIDENT
Highest Injury: NONE
Aircraft Missing: No
Activity: PERSONAL
Flight Phase: LANDING (LDG)
Operation: 91

ANTIOCH, Ill. (CBS 58) -- Donald Fechtner, 78, from Antioch, Illinois was practicing landing his experimental amphibious plane on Camp Lake in Trevor Monday evening when he ran into trouble.

“I landed on the water and it was just so fast I tried to get it back in the air and it wouldn’t go up,” Fechtner said.

He tried to get the plane to shore, but water started pouring in.

“When the water was over my ankles I thought uh-oh and I couldn’t believe how fast it came in,” the pilot said, “It was up to my nose quick.”

He abandoned the plane and walked to shore. He said it was a cold, muddy, 20-minute walk out of the water.

“It really beat me up,” he said.

Tuesday morning, Fechtner and his friends along with complete strangers pitched in to help get his plane out of the lake.

“Makes you think about mankind,” Fechtner said. “There are some helpful people and they were very very helpful.”

He says the plane is able to land on ground or water and he had only owned it for a few months.

“It’s called an experimental aircraft which means its not a certified aircraft by FAA rules,” Fechtner said.

He’s been flying for more than 50 years, and despite what happened Fechtner may take off again in the future.

“I’m very well known to get back up on the horse,” he said.

The Federal Aviation Administration is now investigating what caused the plane to stop working.

Original article can be found here ➤

KENOSHA COUNTY — An experimental amphibious plane landed in the water at Camp Lake in Kenosha County Monday evening, October 29 — prompting a large law enforcement response and search for the occupants. It was later learned the pilot was uninjured, and at home in Antioch, Illinois.

Officials with the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department said it all began when a woman walking her dog noticed the aircraft in the water and alerted authorities, who responded around 6:15 p.m. It was determined the crash happened when the 78-year-old pilot attempted a “touch and go” maneuver on the water, and the hull broke apart. This resulted in the plane coming to rest in the lake.

The pilot got himself to shore, and got a ride home to Antioch, indicating he would get the plane in the morning. The pilot did not notify authorities about the crash.

The Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department’s Dive Team was called out to the scene, along with all of the fire departments in Kenosha County. Law enforcement officials feared the worst. Divers matched the aircraft tail numbers to the owner — and that’s how authorities were able to make contact.

There were no injuries. The pilot was the only one on board.

The Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department is not recommending any criminal charges against the pilot.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources was contacted as well as the Federal Aviation Administration and are both still investigating.

Original article can be found here ➤

CAMP LAKE — Authorities continued an investigation into an ultralight seaplane that crashed into the waters at Camp Lake near 103rd Street and 278th Avenue Monday night.

The pilot, a man from Antioch, Illinois, apparently crashed into the lake about 4:30 p.m., swam to safety and got a ride home, Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth said during a news conference Monday night about 100 feet from the crash site.

Beth said when authorities interviewed the man, whose name was not released, he did not think the crash was such a “big deal” and that he would simply retrieve the aircraft the next day.

“Someone saw him and saw he was cold and said, ‘I’m going to give you a ride home,’ and that person didn’t contact anyone either,” Beth said.

Beth said the man apparently told the person who gave him a ride that he was fine and to let people know he wasn’t injured. The man told authorities he couldn’t use his cellphone, which was in the plane.

Fire and rescue units from Salem Lakes, Bristol and Somers responded to the scene along with the county dive team initially to see whether there was anyone in the partially submerged seaplane, Beth said.

Several hours later they were able to contact the man by phone after finding numbers on the plane that led them to the owner.

According to Beth, other than being cold and wet, the man said he was not injured.

The man told authorities the hull of the plane had disintegrated at the time of the crash, but that he had flown it in the area the day before, and it was fine then.

“Yesterday when he landed, everything worked perfectly,” Beth said. “For whatever reason today, the plane just broke apart.”

Authorities began clearing the scene about 8:30 p.m., and the wreckage will remain in the lake at least until today.

“The Federal Aviation Administration has been notified. They’ll be coming very soon. Before it gets moved, they actually have to do the investigation at the site, “ Beth said, adding deputies would be in the area to ensure the scene isn’t tampered with overnight.

“As you can see, it’s not in a high-traffic area in the lake, and it should be just fine.”

According to Beth, a woman who was walking her dog in the neighborhood saw the wreckage and called authorities.

Other neighbors said they heard the plane’s engine cut out and then saw the propellers in the water.

Rick and Amee Janus said at first they didn’t think anything of it as they were headed out to their daughter’s basketball game, mostly because the lake usually has watercraft, such as duck boats and pontoons, operating in it.

“What stood out was that this was louder,” Rick said.

Jim Tryban, who also lives in the neighborhood, said he was hunting on his property when he heard a “loud, winding engine that eventually sputtered out for about 30 seconds.”

He then heard voices and saw a white vehicle pull up, either a Chevrolet Sonic or Ford Focus.

“I heard the lady ask the guy, ‘Are you OK?’” he said.

He said he heard the man then tell her: “I’m just a little wet.”

Original article can be found here ➤

No comments: