Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Cessna P210 Pressurized Centurion, N3896P: Fatal accident June 24, 2018 near Coleman A. Young Municipal Airport (KDET), Wayne County, Michigan

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Belleville, Michigan
Textron Aviation; Wichita, Kansas
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdf


Location: Detroit, MI
Accident Number: CEN18FA236
Date & Time: 06/24/2018, 1957 EDT
Registration: N3896P
Aircraft: CESSNA P210N
Injuries: 2 Fatal, 1 Serious
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Personal 

On June 24, 2018, about 1957 eastern daylight time (all times referenced as eastern daylight time), a Cessna P210N single-engine airplane, N3896P, impacted trees and terrain during a forced landing in Detroit, Michigan. The pilot and front-seat passenger were fatally injured, and the rear-seat passenger sustained serious injuries. The airplane was substantially damaged during the forced landing and postimpact fire. The airplane was registered to and operated by the private pilot under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the personal flight that departed West Memphis Municipal Airport (AWM), West Memphis, Arkansas, about 1642 with the intended destination of Coleman A. Young Municipal Airport (DET), Detroit, Michigan.

The cross-country flight originally departed from Baytown Airport (HPY), Baytown, Texas, and the pilot made a planned fuel stop at AWM before continuing toward DET. According to the fixed-base operator (FBO) employee who fueled the airplane at AWM, the pilot requested 30 gallons of 100 low-lead aviation fuel to be added each wing tank (60 gallons total). The FBO employee stated that after he had refueled the airplane to the pilot's specifications the fuel level was about 1/4 inch from the top of the left tank and 1-2 inches from the top of the right tank.

According to air traffic control (ATC) data, the airplane appeared on radar at 1642:26 shortly after departing runway 17 at AWM. The airplane proceeded to climb to an initial cruise altitude of 12,000 ft mean sea level (msl) while on a direct course toward DET. Between 1745:26 and 1755:56, the airplane briefly climbed to 14,000 ft msl before descending to a final cruise altitude of 10,000 ft msl while on a direct course toward DET. At 1912:46, the airplane entered a descent to 3,500 ft msl. At 1928:56, the airplane entered a descent to 2,000 ft msl.

According to recorded ATC communications, at 1948:26, the pilot established radio contact with the tower controller at DET. At 1948:34, the tower controller cleared the pilot to land on runway 33 at DET. At 1948:52, the airplane made a slight right turn to enter a left base for runway 33. At 1949:50, the pilot transmitted, "… we don't have a green light on our gear down here, we might have to circle if ya don't mind." The tower controller offered to observe the landing gear position if the pilot made a low-altitude flyby over runway 33. At 1950:05, the pilot transmitted, "all right, looks like we're partial down, I just don't think we're all the way down, I'll try to cycle it again, we're coming over." At 1951:24, the pilot transmitted, "... we got a partial down tower, but it's not all the way down, we don't have a green light." At that time, the airplane was on a 1 mile final approach for runway 33.

The airplane continued to descend toward runway 33, and at 1951:47, descended below available radar coverage about 0.32 miles from the approach end of runway 33 at 900 ft msl. At 1952:09, as the airplane overflew runway 33, the tower controller told the pilot, "yeah, your right main appears, uh, like it's still up." The pilot replied, "... let's try and cycle it up one more time and then cycle it down." At 1952:34, the airplane reappeared on radar over the departure end of runway 33 at 800 ft msl. At 1952:40, the tower controller asked the pilot if he was going to make left traffic for runway 33. The pilot replied that he was making a left turn to remain in the traffic pattern.

The airplane continued in a climbing left turn to a downwind leg for runway 33. At 1954:45, the pilot asked the tower controller, "... should we just keep circling here as we work on this gear?" The tower controller replied, "... you can just keep circling and low approaches over [runway] three [three] as you work on the gear, and then just stay in left traffic." At 1954:59, the pilot transmitted, "doesn't appear we're making any progress with the gear whatsoever." At that point the airplane had climbed to 2,000 ft msl and begun a left turn from downwind leg to base leg for runway 33. At 1955:03, the controller asked what the pilot's intentions were. The pilot replied, "well, if we can't make anything happen, I guess we can land in the grass just, uh, on the infield there, just parallel with [runway] three three huh?" At 1955:16, the controller replied that he did not prefer a landing on the grass infield and suggested that the pilot land on runway 7/25 instead. At 1955:52, the pilot asked the controller, "so, the west side of [runway] one five is not good in the grass?" The controller replied, "I can't clear you for a landing there, but you, if that's where you have to put it down, that would be, uh, ya think it would be better to land in the grass than on the runway." At that point the airplane had climbed to 2,500 ft msl and was flying northbound, parallel to runway 33, about 0.72 miles east of the runway centerline.

At 1956:23, the pilot asked the tower controller, "ya want me on [runway] seven?" The tower controller replied, "yeah, um, continue to, uh, enter a downwind for runway seven and, uh, cleared to land on runway seven, I'll see if I can get, uh, some equipment out here if you wanna just keep circling until I can get some equipment out." At 1956:38, the pilot transmitted, "Well, I just burnt outta fuel, we're totally out bud." At 1956:42, the tower controller replied, "okay, well, I don't want to keep you circling either so, uh, runway 7 cleared to land." At that point the airplane had descended to 1,800 ft msl and was about 0.84 miles north-northeast of the runway 15 displaced threshold and 1.75 miles north of the runway 7 displaced threshold. There were no additional communications received from the pilot.

According to radar track data, the airplane continued to descend in a left turn to join the left base leg for runway 7. At 1957:52, the final radar return was recorded at 800 ft msl (180 ft above ground level) about 0.92 miles northwest of the runway 7 displaced threshold. The final radar return was about 0.3 miles northwest of the accident site.

The main wreckage was in a vacant residential lot along Milton Avenue. An onsite survey revealed a 240 ft long debris path that was oriented on a 137° magnetic heading. There were multiple broken tree branches and a severed electrical service line found along the debris path. The propeller separated from the engine and was found at the base of a tree about 75 ft from the main wreckage. An area of burnt ground surrounded the main wreckage, which consisted of the fuselage, empennage, both wings, and the engine. The main wreckage was found inverted and facing northwest. A majority of the forward fuselage, including the cockpit and instrument panel, had been consumed during the postaccident fire. Flight control cable continuity was established from each flight control surface to its respective cockpit control. The wing flap actuator measured 2.6 inches, which was consistent with a 10° flap extension. The fuel filter was not located in the wreckage and was likely consumed during the postaccident fire. The fuel selector valve was positioned to draw fuel from the right fuel tank. A functional test of the fuel selector valve did not reveal any anomalies. The nose and right main landing gear were fully extended and secured by their respective downlocks. The left main landing gear was found fully retracted in the wheel well and secured by its respective uplock. There were small tree branches and leaves observed in the wheel well between the left landing gear leg and the fuselage. Both main landing gear were manually moved between the retracted and extended positions without any anomalies, and their respective up and down lock assemblies secured both landing gear as designed. The landing gear selector handle and emergency extension handle were not located in the wreckage and likely were consumed during the postaccident fire. The landing gear motor/pump assembly was damaged during the postaccident fire and its attached hydraulic fluid reservoir was breached. The hydraulic fluid lines for the landing gear extension/retraction system were significantly damaged during impact and the postaccident fire. There was no evidence of an internal hydraulic fluid leak or any mechanical damage to either main landing gear actuator. The nose landing gear actuator exhibited thermal damage from the postaccident fire. The left main landing gear downlock switch plunger appeared bent and jammed in the closed position, and the plunger did not contact the left gear leg when the gear was fully extended. A continuity check with a multimeter confirmed that the left downlock switch was stuck in the closed position. The right downlock position switch functioned normally when tested with a multimeter. The left main landing gear uplock switch plunger did not contact the left gear leg when the gear was fully retracted. There were no electrical anomalies noted with either main landing gear uplock switch when tested with a multimeter.

The engine remained attached to the firewall. The propeller remained attached to the propeller flange; however, the flange had separated from the remainder of the engine crankshaft. All three propeller blades remained attached to the propeller hub and exhibited minor spanwise S-shape bending and chordwise scratching. Internal engine and valve train continuity were confirmed as the engine crankshaft was rotated through a rear accessory gear. Compression and suction were noted on all cylinders in conjunction with crankshaft rotation. The left magneto remained partially attached to its installation point and provided spark on all posts while the crankshaft was rotated. The right magneto had separated from the engine; however, it provided a spark on all posts when rotated by hand. The upper spark plugs were removed and exhibited features consistent with normal engine operation. A borescope inspection of each cylinder did not reveal any anomalies with the cylinders, pistons, valves, valve seats, or lower spark plugs. The mechanical fuel pump remained attached to the engine and the fuel pump drive coupling was intact; however, the pump exhibited thermal damage and there was significant resistance when the pump was rotated by hand. The fuel pump was partially disassembled, and the internal components exhibited thermal damage. The fuel metering unit remained partially attached to the engine through fuel lines and control cables. The fuel manifold valve remained attached to the engine and exhibited impact-related damage. None of the fuel lines contained residual fuel. The propeller governor remained attached to the engine and exhibited impact-related damage. The turbocharger remained attached to the engine, and the compressor was capable of normal rotation and exhibited normal operation signatures. There were no anomalies noted with the turbocharger wastegate, controller, or overboost valve. The oil pump remained attached to the engine and exhibited thermal damage from the postaccident fire. The oil sump was dented and crushed during impact. The oil sump was removed, and no metallic material was observed within the sump. The oil pick-up tube and screen were clear of any contaminates. The oil filter remained attached to the remote filter adapter. The oil filter housing was cut open and no metallic material was observed on the filter pleats. The oil dipstick and cap remained attached to the engine; however, when removed from the engine, the lower portion of the oil gauge was missing. The missing portion of the oil gauge was not found in the engine when the oil sump was removed. The postaccident examination did not reveal any anomalies that would have precluded normal engine operation during the flight. 

Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information

Aircraft Make: CESSNA
Registration: N3896P
Model/Series: P210N N
Aircraft Category: Airplane
Amateur Built: No
Operator: On file
Operating Certificate(s) Held: None

Meteorological Information and Flight Plan

Conditions at Accident Site: Visual Conditions
Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: DET, 626 ft msl
Observation Time: 1953 EDT
Distance from Accident Site: 1 Nautical Miles
Temperature/Dew Point: 23°C / 15°C
Lowest Cloud Condition: Scattered / 3000 ft agl
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 8 knots / , 20°
Lowest Ceiling: None
Visibility:  10 Miles
Altimeter Setting: 30 inches Hg
Type of Flight Plan Filed: VFR
Departure Point: West Memphis, AR (AWM)
Destination: Detroit, MI (DET) 

Wreckage and Impact Information

Crew Injuries: 1 Fatal
Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Passenger Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious
Aircraft Fire: On-Ground
Ground Injuries: N/A
Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 2 Fatal, 1 Serious
Latitude, Longitude:  42.407222, -83.025000

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email eyewitnessreport@ntsb.gov, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email assistance@ntsb.gov.

Julie (left) and Greg Boaz

Lone Star Grill, Bacliff, Texas, owner Greg Boaz and his wife Julie died in a plane crash on Sunday night. Greg's 17-year-old son, Peyton, is in critical condition in a Detroit area hospital with his mother Jaime by his side.

Peyton Boaz

Terrifying video captured the moment a 17-year-old teen tumbled out of and escaped the flaming wreckage of a small plane that crashed in Detroit, killing his parents, according to reports.

The Cessna P210 Pressurized Centurion, which was enroute to Coleman A. Young International Airport from Arkansas, apparently struck a power line and tree Sunday night, Detroit police Capt. Mark Thornton said.

The crash killed a Texas couple — Greg Boaz, 54, and his wife, Julie, 48 — and left their son Peyton critically injured, a family member told WXYZ.

Danny Boaz, Greg’s cousin, said Greg hadn’t flown in the last decade.

He said Greg, who bought the plane last week, and his family were heading to Detroit for Greg’s daughter’s cheer competition.

“I was asking if he flies anymore, he said ‘no,'” Danny said. “He was thinking about getting back into it. I really believe that the conversation kind of piqued his interest in flying again.”

Police credited Cordell Owens with making sure the boy made it out alive, using an ax to put a hole in the fuselage.

“The plane crashed and we start running towards it and it was a small plane and the flames were out of control, it started burning and the gentleman in the plane started hollering and screaming, and that was when I went to work,” he said, WXYZ reported.

“I feel real good about it,” Owens said. “I don’t feel like a hero, but it is something that I had to do.”

The pilot circled the plane around the runway and tried landing in the grass, clickondetroit.com reported.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Lynn Lunsford said preliminary information indicates the pilot reported a landing gear problem and low fuel shortly before the crash.

The teen, who suffered third-degree burns, is in critical condition at Detroit Receiving Hospital, Danny told WXYZ.

The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board are investigating.

Story and video: https://nypost.com

National Transportation Safety Board air safety investigator Andrew Todd Fox briefs reporters Monday, June 25, 2018, on the agency's investigation into a Cessna P210 Pressurized Centurion crash in a Detroit neighborhood. 

DETROIT (WJBK) - A husband and wife were killed in a plane crash Sunday when their Cessna crashed into a vacant lot in Detroit. 24 hours later, authorities still don't have much more details.

A business owner from the Houston area was piloting the Cessna when it crashed around 8 p.m. Sunday. His wife and son were on board but the 17-year-old is the only one to survive the wreckage. According to authorities, low fuel and landing gear problems are to blame. 

Investigators with the NTSB were on the scene Monday to investigate the crash at Detroit's Coleman A. Young Municipal Airport. According to initial findings, the plane had problems landing before it ran out of fuel, hit two trees and a power line, and then exploded into flames. The pilot, Greg Boaz, and his wife, Julie, were both killed. 

The plane was fully engulfed in flames by the time rescue crews arrived. Witnesses rushed to the scene to try help the victims. Cell phone video shows his son, 17-year-old Peyton Boaz running from the wreckage as it was engulfed in flames. 

Lifelong friend Bob Mutina told FOX 2 that Greg and his family lived outside of Houston and flew from Arkansas Sunday night for his daughter's volleyball tournament in Detroit this week. He said that Greg owned two restaurants in Texas and only recently bought the plane but not flown recently. He recalled a conversation he had with another friend.

"I said Randy I don't think he's flown. I said he used to fly a lot back in the 80's and 90's and he said you know, Bob, I felt really uncomfortable cuz he said I don't think he's flown in a long time. He said I don't think Greg needs to be flying that airplane until he learns it," Mutina said.

It's too early to tell if the crash was the result of pilot error, mechanical error or both. Investigators with the FAA and NTSB are on scene.

According to Andrew Todd Fox, air safety investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board of Chicago, the pilot was in communication practically the entire flight.

"The pilot reported a landing gear anomaly or a malfunction of the landing gear," Fox said. "The pilot made it clear it was a fuel related issue with the aircraft. There were no additional communications between air traffic control and the aircraft. Shortly thereafter there were 911 calls reporting the aircraft down."

Federal authorities are still investigating and the report will not be complete for at least a year and a half, maybe longer.

Peyton is still hospitalized with critical injuries. Authorities have not yet spoken with him about the crash.

Story and video: http://www.fox2detroit.com

DETROIT - A Texas couple was killed Sunday when a single-engine plane crashed in Detroit just a mile from Coleman A. Young International Airport (Detroit City Airport). 

Greg Boaz, 54, and Julie Boaz, 48, were traveling from Texas with Greg's 17-year-old son. The teen survived the crash and was able to escape the fiery wreckage. He is at a hospital with his biological mother, who flew into Detroit separately on a commercial flight. 

Only the three of them were on the plane. No one on the ground was injured. 

Family was to meet in Detroit

The trio was supposed to meet up with the teen's mother for an event in Detroit. But the Cessna 210 plane crashed about 8 p.m. Sunday near the intersection of Milton and Eldon avenues, west of Van Dyke Avenue

Local 4 has learned the teen originally was sitting in the front seat on the plane, but during a layover he asked to sit in the back seat because he was cramped. When the plane crashed, his father and stepmother were killed. 

Video shows the teen rolling out of the burning wreckage. He was able exit out of a door. 

What caused this crash?

The plane may have been out of fuel. It had left Texas just before 4 p.m. and after a short layover in Arkansas it was expected to touch down in Detroit just before 8 p.m.

The pilot was circling Detroit City Airport and attempting to land in a grassy area. The tower eventually lost contact. 

The 911 calls started flooding dispatch just after 8 p.m.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is investigating. It may take them a year to finalize their scientific report. 

Story and video: https://www.clickondetroit.com


  1. This is quite sad.

    A P210 is about the most complex single engine plane you can buy. If the father did not have recent logged flight time or a good knowledge of the plane this was NOT good.

    The flight was a long one and he could have burned more fuel than thought.
    If he tried to pump the gear down by hand he may have been preoccupied with that instead of fuel and/or watching where he was heading.

  2. An awful tragedy.

    Despite low fuel (pilot decision) and gear problems (can happen to anyone) this airplane should have landed under control on a runway or adjacent grass somewhere with emergency services waiting to assist.

    Lets hope Payton recovers to lead a full life.

  3. Sad, sad, situation. May God comfort the families in this time of grief and heal the son both physically and mentally.

    Reviewing this planes history it appears its had a tough life almost from the beginning. First gear up landing came less than a month after it's first flight. Only 27.6 hours on it when a ruptured hydraulic line kept the gear from extending. A few years later another gear up landing after the pilot ran the tanks dry and landed hard on the runway. In 2015 it exited the runway surface into the grass and while trying to taxi back onto the runway the nose wheel went into a hole and the prop struck the ground.

    All of the above incidents happened while owned by previous owners.

    My heart goes out to all of those effected by this accident.

  4. If the background story is true, this pilot's decision process is criminal. So sick of these 'bigshot' pilots killing (manslaughter) their passengers

  5. Well obviously there must have been some fuel on board as it created quite a nice bonfire. I'll wait to comment on the pilot's decision making until I learn more of his history. It does sound suspicious however.

  6. Every passenger before they get on board with some Private Pilot needs to ask some fundamental questions. How long have you owned the airplane, how much flying do recently in that aircraft or type. how much total time do you have in it. Have you recently flown with an instructor going over emergency procedures? The list goes on

  7. Sad, sad, sad, sad, sad! 10 years away from flying? If this gentleman ran/owned two successful eating establishments, he probably worked 19 hrs. per day. Not much time for aviation. Take a CFI along for a while. Judgment is the key! I hope the CFI that signed him off kept good records. At this point it can get really ugly. Condolences to the surviving family members.

    ATP, CFI, Air Carrier retired

  8. You haven't flown in a decade and you take off on a cross continent flight in a plane you bought a week ago? This had potential disaster written all over it. It's a shame general aviation is marred by such foolish decisions.

  9. I went to an FAA Wings safety seminar a few years ago and the man from the FAA told us that if we only flew enough to stay legal (3 takeoffs & landings every 90 days) we should find another "hobby". He also said "know thy airplane". Both things this accident pilot didn't do. So many bad decisions that this had disaster all the way around. I hope the son can somehow recover from this but seeing him rolling out of that inferno was shocking but inspiring as his will to live is strong. He should not have bought such a complex aircraft until he obtained more recent flying and should have taken a CFI with him. He wasn't even instrument rated but was flying along at 12,000' above some clouds on this flights FlightAware tracking. R.I.P.

  10. I guess if you have money and no fear, you can do anything. The friend was right to feel uncomfortable.

  11. God bless and be with the family and friends.

    A year from now, I will start flying again (after a 20+year absence, gotta get the kids through school ya know...) I'm buying a 172 or a Cherokee. I have single & multi engine, instrument and used to hold CFI in all three. But "A mans gotta know his limitations..."

  12. when you buy your 172 or Cherokee you need to post a placard telling all potential passenger of the risk and your lack of recent experience.

  13. This comment has more to do with this thing we as pilots call “community”. A collection of a special group of people who support each other and show generosity and professionalism.

    A tragic accident, as they all are especially when passengers are fatally or gravely injured. For all of you that read this article, think about their son Peyton. There is a GoFundMe account to help with the medical bills. It can be located at gofundme /boaz-family-medical-fund , Google it. For what you might spend on 5 gallons of Avgas, or chasing that $100 hamburger, donate. Put your money towards a good thing, you’ll feel much better about how these articles can serve the aviation community.

    While on my last tour in Afghanistan, I was wounded with 3rd degree burns on my legs. Five years later I was able to regain full use and walk/ run again. I was told by the VA that burns are among the most expensive to treat, and most people suffer life long disabilities, especially emotional. As a soldier, we accept the risks and appreciate the fact we can move on. This young boy, Peyton, didn’t sign up for life long disabilities and disfigurement. Seeing that his folks were self employed, it’s a sure bet that their medical insurance was poor at best with tall deductibles and co insurance. So, help the boy out.

    Follow my words and my lead, donate. $20, $50, ... whatever, it adds up.

    Kurt Shaul.
    Lt Col US Army Ret.

  14. Thank you for the lead Lt Col Shaul

  15. Kind of shows you how well built those Cessna's are lot of testing goes into crash survival. Fuel should never be a problem should always have enough to deal with emergency. If they declared I don't know why could not make the airport set it down gear up. Sounds like he was flying a wide pattern to try and get the gear down when he discovered the fuel was out probably stared to sputter he could try get the boost pumps on. That set him up for an off airport landing.

  16. An update on the sole survivor, Peyton. After a month of hospitalization, Peyton strives to make daily progress. Suffering both burns and internal injuries, he just now is able to walk and eat soft foods. He is a brave young man. His escape from the burning aircraft after a brutal impact was nothing short of a miracle.
    A month in burn recovery amounts to a massive medical bill, and the long term therapy care has only just begun. I posted an earlier comment about helping the family through their GoFundMe account. It is the least people can do that read and learn from these articles, often as a result of horrible tragedy.
    Take a moment and say your thanks, donate.

    K. Shaul

  17. I bought this plane in 1980 and sold it 10 years later, flew this Centurion N3896P all over the USA, so I know it very well indeed. For the distance and time the average ground speed was about 193mph, so given climb out time and descent, he was probably flaying about 210 mph or so. That plane cruised nicely at that speed, and burned about 19gph. I had an intercooler installed and a Hoskins fuel meter, so knew fuel consumption precisely. The P210 has undesirable flight characteristics when not closely controlled, and if stalled at low altitude it's real bad. The pilot should only have done this flight at a lower speed so his fuel burn would be about 16gph, and he probably should have filled the tanks. With full tanks he had about 620 of load, which should have been enough. It seems to me pilot error with fuel mgmt, but we will see. I loved that plane, it flew great and never had any problems on any trip, quite a record.