Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Cessna 172P Skyhawk, N97116, SkyWarrior Flight Training Inc: Accident occurred August 23, 2017 at Jack Edwards Airport (JKA), Gulf Shores, Alabama

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entity:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Birmingham, Alabama

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board: https://app.ntsb.gov/pdf

SkyWarrior Flight Training Inc: http://registry.faa.gov/N97116

NTSB Identification: ERA17LA319
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, August 23, 2017 in Gulf Shores, AL
Aircraft: CESSNA 172, registration: N97116
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On August 23, 2017, about 2030 central daylight time, a Cessna 172P, N97116, was substantially damaged during landing at the Jack Edwards Airport (JKA), Gulf Shores, Alabama. The commercial pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the personal flight conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. No flight plan was filed for the flight that departed the Pensacola International Airport (PNS), Pensacola, Florida.

The pilot stated that before he departed PNS, he noted that the elevator trim was in the full nose-up position. He reset it to the "takeoff" position and completed his before-takeoff checklist and engine run-up procedures. He said that during takeoff, he needed more back pressure on the control yoke than he was used to, so he trimmed the elevator trim tab up to reduce pressure. The flight to JKA was uneventful and he made a normal approach to runway 17. The pilot said that he reduced engine power to idle and began the landing flare. However, when he pulled back on the control yoke, the nose of the airplane did not come up as expected. The airplane landed hard and bounced four or five times before the pilot could stop the airplane on the runway. He said he tried to taxi off the runway onto a taxiway, but he was unable to steer the airplane.

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) maintenance inspector conducted a postaccident examination of the airplane. The examination revealed the firewall was wrinkled, the nose wheel was bent, and both propeller blades were damaged from contact with the ground. The control yoke had minimal movement due to the upper yoke control tubes at the chain sprocket binding against the aluminum channel brace due to the bent firewall. The inspector also noted that the elevator trim tab cable had slack and was not rigged correctly. When the trim tab wheel was moved, the cable's center travel block was catching on the aft tail cone bulkhead.

The pilot held a commercial pilot certificate for rotorcraft with an instrument rating for rotorcraft-helicopter. He was enrolled in a Rotorcraft Transition Program, where he would earn his private pilot certificate for airplane single-engine land, then obtain a commercial pilot certificate for airplane multiengine land, and then attend a new-hire class for PSA airlines. His last FAA first class medical certificate was issued on June 30, 2017. The pilot reported he had accrued about 30 hours of fixed-wing, airplane single-engine land, flight time.

Weather reported at JKA, about the time of the accident, included calm wind, visibility 10 miles and clear skies.

No comments: