Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Beech A36TC Bonanza, N60WB, Peak 2 Peak LLC: Fatal accident occurred July 26, 2017 near Ogden-Hinckley Airport (KOGD), Weber County, Utah

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities: 
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Salt Lake City, Utah
Textron Aviation; Wichita, Kansas
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama
Hartzell Propellers; Piqua, Ohio

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Peak 2 Peak LLC:

NTSB Identification: WPR17FA166
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, July 26, 2017 in Ogden, UT
Aircraft: BEECH A36TC, registration: N60WB
Injuries: 4 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On July 26, 2017, about 1240 mountain daylight time, a Beech A36TC airplane, N60WB, was substantially damaged when it collided with the freeway shortly after departing from Ogden-Hinckley Airport (OGD), Ogden, Utah. The private pilot, and three passengers were fatally injured. The airplane was registered to Peak 2 Peak, LLC., and operated by the pilot as a 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed. The flight was destined for Yellowstone Airport (WYS), West Yellowstone, Montana. 

According to an air traffic control recording from the OGD tower, shortly after departing the runway, the pilot reported "hey, I'm going down, zero-whiskey-bravo." The controller cleared the pilot for landing and four seconds later, another pilot flying in the area reported seeing the airplane impact the highway.

Witnesses who were also general aviation mechanics, located between hangar rows adjacent to the runway at OGD, heard the airplane during its departure. They stated that the sound was unusual which made them look up to see what it was. When the airplane first came into view they stated it was about 100 ft above the ground, and that it should be about 500 feet or higher at that location [which was about 3,700 ft down runway 17]. As the airplane passed by, they noticed the engine sound was underpowered and the tail of the airplane going up and down, as if the pilot was struggling to keep the airplane at altitude.

Dash Cam video from a car on a southwest-bound street, captured the accident airplane in flight. The airplane was first observed flying wings level from the right side of the video frame. As it approached the center of the video frame, it entered a right turn and flew away, paralleling the street. Shortly after, the airplane entered a descending right banking turn until out of view. 

The accident site revealed that the first identified point of contact (FIPC) was the outer edge of the northbound freeway, and came to rest in the median, along the guardrail. The debris field was about 150 feet long with debris in both north and southbound lanes. The main wreckage remained intact with post-crash fire damage. The wing tip tanks and the leading edge of the wings were crushed, consistent with vertical impact damage. All flight controls were accounted for and flight control continuity was attained. The propeller assembly separated from the engine during the accident sequence and was subsequently relocated about 200 feet further up the freeway from the debris field, after being impacted by a passing tractor trailer. No other vehicles were involved in the accident sequence. 

The wreckage was recovered to a secure location for further examination.

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email

Diana and Layne Clarke

Perry and Sarah Huffaker

 A small plane crashed on a Utah highway Wednesday, killing two couples heading for a vacation but narrowly missing cars when it barreled across the lanes through a gap in traffic.

The plane went down shortly after takeoff from a municipal airport popular with private pilots north of Salt Lake City, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer said. No injuries were reported on the ground after it snarled traffic and left behind blackened wreckage.

Layne Clarke, 48, was flying his wife and two friends as they departed for a vacation, said family friend and colleague Jeff Henderson. Clarke owned an automotive paint business and had gotten his pilot's license about five years ago after a friend got him interested in aviation, he said.

Clarke was a "very energetic, wonderful man," Henderson said.

Also killed in the crash was his wife, Diana Clarke, 46, of Taylor, Utah, and their friends Perry, 45, and Sarah Huffaker, 42, of West Haven, Utah, according to the Utah Department of Public Safety.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Administration are investigating the cause of the crash. It closed most lanes of Interstate 15 in Riverdale, about 35 miles north of Salt Lake City.

The Beech A36 Bonanza crashed about a half-mile from a nearby municipal airport. It hit on the edge of the interstate, went across the northbound lanes during an opening in traffic and landed in the median, Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce told the Standard-Examiner newspaper in Ogden.

It appeared the plane was out of control and the pilot was trying to land it on the interstate just before the crash, semitrailer driver Obdulio Ruiz told the newspaper.

Driver April Demetropolis was on her way to work when the plane crashed so close to her car that she felt the reverberation and heat from the explosion, the Deseret News reported.

"Out of nowhere from the east side, a plane came swooping in and just nose-dived into the middle of the freeway," Demetropolis told the newspaper. "It exploded. The flames engulfed the entire street."

RIVERDALE — Two couples were killed when a plane crashed on Interstate 15 Wednesday. 

The Utah Highway Patrol identified the victims of the crash as Perry Huffaker, 45, and Sarah Huffaker, 42, of West Haven, and Layne Clarke, 48, and Diana Clarke, 45, of Taylor. 

At 12:40 p.m. Wednesday, a small Beech A36 Bonanza plane crashed on the interstate’s eastern edge, went across the northbound lanes and settled in the median, Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce said. 

The plane had departed from Ogden-Hinckley Airport on Runway 17 and crashed about a half a mile away from the airport, according to Allen Kenitzer, public information officer for the Federal Aviation Administration’s northwest mountain region.

The Huffakers and Clarkes died on impact, Royce said. They were headed to Island Park, Idaho, for a vacation. 

“This is a tragic accident,” Royce said. “Our hearts and thoughts go out to those families.” 

Layne Clarke is believed to have been piloting the plane at the time of the crash, Royce said. 

Witnesses said the plane exploded, and Royce said it caught fire in the median. As the smoke and flames began to clear, charred pieces of the aircraft were scattered across the road’s northbound lanes.

Though it crashed into multiple lanes of traffic, the plane — which was traveling west after leaving Ogden-Hinckley Airport — didn’t hit any vehicles.

“Miraculously at the time, it seemed there was just a gap in the vehicles where it hit and came across ... no other injuries sustained besides the four fatalities,” Royce said. 

Northbound I-15 will be closed at Riverdale Road until 7 p.m. at the earliest, according to Vic Saunders, Utah Department of Transportation Region 1 spokesman. One lane of southbound I-15 is also closed in the area and heavy congestion starts around 31st Street.

RIVERDALE — Four people are reported dead after a small plane crashed onto I-15 in Riverdale on Wednesday, snarling freeway traffic.

The Utah Department of Public Safety confirmed the crash shortly before 1 p.m. The department said four casualties have been reported in the crash.

The Federal Aviation Administration reported the Beech A36 Bonanza took off from Ogden-Hinckley Airport, then crashed a half-mile away for unknown reasons.

All northbound lanes were closed, and southbound traffic was down to two lanes as crews responded, police said, warning that significant delays are expected throughout the afternoon.

April Demetropolis, of Salt Lake City, was driving to work in Ogden when the plane crashed so close to her car that she felt the reverberation of its impact and heat from a large explosion.

"Out of nowhere from the east side, a plane came swooping in and just nose-dived into the middle of the freeway," Demetropolis said. "It exploded. The flames engulfed the entire street."

The plane missed passing cars on the freeway, Demetropolis said. Nearby drivers pulled to the side and immediately rushed to help.

"The kid in front of me … he pulled over in front of me as I pulled over further behind him, he jumped and ran, and he was already on his cellphone," Demetropolis said.

Demetropolis was among numerous witnesses who called 911, then stayed to provide statements to law enforcement.

"It was full force. It didn't look like anyone trying to slow down or anything. It was just a full nose dive straight into the ground," she said.

RIVERDALE — Four people are dead after a small plane crash that happened along Interstate 15 near the Riverdale Road exit Wednesday.

Weber County emergency dispatchers confirmed a small airplane crashed on the interstate’s northbound side, mostly in the median, at about 12:40 p.m. Wednesday.

All northbound lanes were closed, and only one southbound lane was open, according to Utah Public Safety. Drivers should expect significant delays throughout the afternoon.

Allen Kenitzer, public information officer for the Federal Aviation Administration’s northwest mountain region, confirmed that there were four passengers on the plane at the time of the crash.

The Utah Division of Public Safety confirmed that all four passengers on board died in the crash.

It is unknown as of 2:30 p.m. what caused this plane crash. 

Reached by telephone, Ogden-Hinckley Airport general manager Jon Greiner said he’s out of town and didn’t have much information other than what he was told in a phone call about 12:45 p.m.

“I’m at Bear Lake, so I don’t have a lot of information,” he said. “But apparently a plane augered in, and I’m assuming the pilot expired.”

Mark Kendell, Ogden Hinckley Airport Advisory Committee chairman, was out of state and said he hadn’t heard about the crash. A worker at the Ogden airport’s control tower was unable to comment on the plane crash. 

It was unclear whether any cars were involved in the crash as of 1:25 p.m. It was also unclear who the plane belonged to or where it was going.

Obdulio Ruiz, a truck driver from Los Angeles, was at the scene of the crash and said he saw the plane go down. Ruiz said the plane looked like it was out of control before it crashed in front of his semi-trailer.

Ruiz, who was driving a truck full of flammable chemicals, said it looked like the plane attempted to land on the interstate but was unable to.

Kat Yoder, who was in a nearby parking lot when the plane crashed, said there was an immediate explosion but she didn’t see any vehicles involved.

WEBER COUNTY, Utah - Four people died Wednesday afternoon when a small plane crashed on I-15 in Weber County.

The victims have been identified as Layne and Diana Clarke of Taylor, Utah, and Perry and Sarah Huffaker of West Haven, Utah.

The crash happened shortly before 1 p.m. near 5600 S.

Sgt. Todd Royce of the Utah Highway Patrol said the plane is believed to have taken off from Ogden-Hinckley Airport and was destined for Island Park, Idaho.

Utah Highway Patrol troopers closed all of I-15's northbound lanes and all but one southbound lane in the area.

"I-15, if you can think about it, is our most heavily-traveled interstate in Utah. And to shut this down, northbound, during the evening commute, that's going to cause considerable inconvenience for a lot of folks," said Utah Department of Transportation spokesman John Gleason.

Gleason suggested using US-89 or, for those traveling from the Salt Lake City area, going up Parleys Canyon and back down Ogden Canyon.

"That's a long detour, but you may actually make your destination a little sooner than you would if you chance coming up here on I-15," Gleason said.

No cars were involved in the crash.

"We're here in Weber County, three lane interstate. It's usually very busy. It's actually pretty miraculous that no one got hit that was traveling in there," said Sgt. Todd Royce, UHP.

Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Security Board officials will be at the scene to conduct an investigation of the plane crash. Utah Highway Patrol and State Bureau of Investigation officials are also documenting the crash.

"We just want people to know, especially those that are caught in traffic, that this takes some time and please be patient," Royce said.

Due to the ongoing investigation, it's unclear when the freeway will reopen.

The NTSB confirmed the plane was a Beech A36TC Bonanza.


Anonymous said...

Tail number please?

Anonymous said...


Two lovely, lovely couples....

May they rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

Conditions = High (MSL), hot (summer), over gross (who knows). Very, very sad!

Anonymous said...

Another Bonanza crash. Man, those planes crash once too often...

Steve Huntley said...

was it an engine failure...and did he try to turn around ..stall and go in? they looked like nice sad.