Monday, July 24, 2017

Cessna 150F, N8661S: Fatal accident occurred July 23, 2017 near Union Parish Airport (F87), Farmerville, Louisiana

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Jackson, Mississippi
Textron Aviation; Wichita, Kansas
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama 

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

David L. Lockard:

NTSB Identification: CEN17FA281
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, July 23, 2017 in Farmerville, LA
Aircraft: CESSNA 150F, registration: N8661S
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On July 23, about 1715 central daylight time, a Cessna 150F airplane, N8661S, while descending over Lake D'Arbonne, impacted the lake and nosed over. The airline transport pilot, who was the sole occupant, was fatally injured. The airplane sustained substantial fuselage and wing damage during the nose over. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot as a 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed in the area about the time of the accident, and the flight was not operated on a flight plan. The local flight originated from the Union Parish Airport, near Farmerville, Louisiana, at time unknown.

A witness at the lake that knew the pilot saw the accident airplane flying. The witness stated that the pilot's first pass by the witness's house was in a Piper airplane. The pilot called from the Piper and said that he was going back to try and get the Cessna 150 started. The pilot stated that he had the Cessna 150 battery on charge at the time. The pilot made a few passes in the Cessna 150 around the lake in front of the house. The witness reported hearing a "sputter" on the last pass. The witness stated that the airplane "wobbled" from side to side and noticed the airplane was flying low. The witness said, "It looked like he was attempting to land on water but knew that he was too fast. He gave the engine some throttle and looked like he attempted to climb, but the left tire hit the water and It caused the plane to flip into the water."

Another witness at the lake stated that he saw the airplane fly lower and lower over the lake. The airplane flew from south to north. The airplane's nose wheel impacted the lake while the airplane was in a slightly nose down attitude. The witness saw a wing tip impact the water and the airplane subsequently nosed over. He reported that he heard the engine running during the flight and at the time of the accident.

The 73-year old pilot held a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) airline transport pilot certificate with a multi-engine land rating. He held commercial pilot privileges for single engine land airplanes. The pilot held an FAA first-class medical certificate that was issued on June 29, 2017, with a limitation: Must wear corrective lenses. On the application for that medical certificate, the pilot reported that he had accumulated 16,870 hours of total flight time and 60 hours in the six months prior to the medical certificate. An initial review of his logbook revealed that he had accumulated 16,722.8 hours of total flight time.

N8661S was a 1966 model Cessna 150F airplane with serial number 15061961. It was a two-place, single-engine, high-wing airplane, with a fixed tricycle landing gear configuration. The airplane was powered by a 100-horsepower Continental Motors O-200-A engine, serial number 63022-6-A, which drove a fixed pitch McCauley propeller. A major repair and modification form, dated May 27, 1992, revealed that the airplane was modified with a 3-point, dual shoulder harness restraint system manufactured by Aero Fabricators, Inc. The pilot purchased the airplane on September 20, 2012. Maintenance records indicated that the most recent annual inspection was completed on March 1, 2017, at 3,741.7 hours total airframe time, 4,182.2 hours Hobbs time, and 721.6 hours tachometer time.

At 1715, the recorded weather at the Ruston Regional Airport, near Ruston, Louisiana, was: Wind 170° at 7 kts; visibility 10 statute miles; sky condition clear; temperature 26° C; dew point 23° C; altimeter 29.93 inches of mercury.

The accident airplane was recovered through a nearby ramp to the lake. Blight was observed on grass in the ramp area where the airplane was recovered. Viewing the lake revealed protruding stumps at multiple locations where the airplane was reported to have impacted the lake. The airplane was subsequently relocated to a secured yard.

An examination of the wreckage revealed that the left wing forward spar was fractured near the aileron/flap junction. An outboard section of the left wing exhibited rearward compression damage and was bent upward. This section was observed resting on top of the inboard section of the left wing. An outboard section of the left aileron was separated from the left wing and was not recovered with the wreckage. The remaining section of the inboard left aileron remained attached to the left wing. The left flap remained attached to the left wing and was in the fully retracted position. Both left and right plastic wing tips were not recovered. The right wing remained attached to the airframe. The right aileron and right flap remained attached to the wing. The right flap was in the fully retracted position. An outboard section of the right wing exhibited rearward compression damage near its wing tip. A section of the outboard right wing and leading edge skin was separated from the wing. The empennage was separated from the fuselage aft of the rear window and remained attached to the fuselage by the flight control cables and stringers. The horizontal stabilizer and elevators remained attached and did not exhibit any damage. The vertical stabilizer and rudder remained attached and were intact. The rotating beacon was intact. All the flight control cables were intact and control cable continuity was established for all flight control surfaces. The upper portions of the pilot's and passenger's 3-point, dual shoulder harness restraint system were found intertwined. First responders reported to the FAA that the pilot was wearing the lap belt portion of the restraint system. The tachometer indicated 726.2 hours at the time of the postaccident examination. Pressurized air was applied to the fuel line at the firewall and the sound of the escaping air was heard at both fuel tank filler necks.

The engine was found separated from its airframe. The carburetor was separated from the engine at its intake mounting flange. All other observed accessories remained attached to the engine. The propeller remained attached to the crankshaft propeller flange. Both propeller blades were bent forward. However, one blade was bent forward to a greater extent than the other blade. The top spark plugs were removed and an examination of the inside of the cylinders using a lighted borescope revealed normal piston, valve, and cylinder bore signatures. During the rotation of the propeller, all cylinders displayed good thumb compression and suction. The valves and rocker arms were noted to operate normally while the propeller was rotated. All spark plug electrodes displayed normal operating and wear signatures when compared with a Champion Aviation Service Manual AV6-R chart. The right magneto remained attached to its installation point and was undamaged. During propeller rotation, its impulse coupling was noted to operate and it could be heard operating at the same time as the left magneto. During impulse coupling operation, the right magneto produced a spark at all four towers. The left magneto remained attached to its installation point and was undamaged. However, during propeller rotation, its impulse coupling was noted to operate and could be heard operating at the same times as the right magneto. During impulse coupling operation, the left magneto did not produce a spark at any of the towers. The left magneto was removed from its mounting point and water was drained from the magneto. The magneto drive was spun using a drill and it produced a spark at all four towers. The propeller was rotated by hand and it was noted that the vacuum pump produced a suction. Disassembly of the carburetor revealed the floats were intact and the needle valve operated. No debris was found in the fuel screen and no preimpact anomalies were detected during the carburetor disassembly.

The Union Parish, Louisiana, Coroner arranged for an autopsy to be performed on the pilot and to have toxicological samples taken.

A GPS found within the wreckage was retained and sent to the National Transportation Safety Board Recorder Laboratory for examination.

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email

David Lee Lockard 
1943 - 2017 

David Lee Lockard Obituary

Funeral services for David Lee Lockard, 73, of Monroe, LA will be held at 2:00 PM Thursday, July 27, 2017 at Rowland Road Baptist Church, Monroe LA with Rev. Norman Bryant officiating. Interment will follow at Mulhearn Memorial Park Cemetery under the direction of Mulhearn Funeral Home, Sterlington Road, Monroe. 

Mr. Lockard was born in Morgantown, West Virginia on December 31, 1943 and passed away Sunday, July 23, 2017 in Farmerville, LA. David obtained his pilot's license January 1964. He was a pilot for James Davidson at Ruston Aviation. He also flew for Olin Kraft and later Riverwood. He was active in the Bus and Children's Ministry with Rowland Road Baptist Church, and also worked with the Boy Scouts. David was a man dedicated to the life and family he built with his wife Carol. He was counted on and trusted by so many for his sound advice and wise counsel, and the first one to lend a hand to anyone in need. 

Mr. Lockard was preceded in death by his parents, Charles Snider Lockard of Point Marion, PA and Lenore Ellen Walls Lockard of Morgantown, WV. 

Survivors include his wife of 54 years this August, Carol Lockard; children, David Charles Lockard and wife Terri, Mark Lockard and wife Stacy; four grandchildren, Monica Freeman and husband Justice, Sydney Lockard, Amanda Lockard and Matthew Lockard; great grandchildren, Kyler and Stryker Scott and Ava Brooke Freeman soon to arrive; brother, Gene Lockard and wife Cindy of Houston, TX; sister, Sue Tenny of Houston, TX. 

Pallbearers will be Matthew Lockard, John Farmer, David Murphy, Mervin Smith, Bruce Bryan, Richard Morgan, Charlie Baxter, and Wes Pleasants. Honorary pallbearers are Jerald Creel, Jackie Gilbert, Jimmy Fordham, and J.R. Baker.

Visitation will be held 4:00 PM -7:00 PM Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 at Rowland Road Baptist Church. 

Memorials may be made to Pilots for Patients. 

Online Registry/Condolences: 
Mulhearn Funeral Home
Sterlington Road

Monroe, LA

FARMERVILLE, La - UPDATE (7/25/17 at 1:50 p.m.): The plane crash site at Lake D'arbonne has officially been cleared.

Officials say it took two days to remove the plane from the lake.

The Union Parish Sheriff's Office posted the following information on their Facebook Page:

"Sheriff Dusty Gates and the Union Parish Sheriffs Office would like to extend their sincere appreciation to all those involved in the recovery of the wrecked aircraft from Lake Darbonne over the last two days. Thank you to the following: Steve Danna, Joe & Amanda Belin, Todd Risinger (Ricon Inc.), Paul Bailey, Tom McMillan, Bradley & Justice Jones (Louisiana Bridge Inc.) Ouachita Parish Sheriffs Office Dive Team, and the neighborhood of Rogers Drive Private. The aircraft was recovered and removed this morning from Lake Darbonne and the crash is still under investigation."

The visitation for David Lockard is set for Wednesday, July 26, 2017, at Rowland Road Baptist Church (336 Rowland Rd, Monroe, LA 71203) from 4pm-7pm

The funeral is at the same location on Thursday, July 27, 2017, at 2pm.

UPDATE (07/24/17 at 11:20 p.m.)

The Federal Aviation Administration is currently investigating the plane crash that took the life of seasoned jet pilot, David Lockard.

Witnesses say Lockard crashed into Lake D'Arbonne on Sunday Jul 23, 2017 just after 5pm.

Union and Ouachita Parish investigators have recovered Lockard's body, but now the FAA is now in the process of removing the wrecked plane.

Once they have recovered the plane they will be one step closer to figuring out what went wrong before the plane went down.

UPDATE (7/24/17 at 9:48 a.m.): The Union Parish Sheriff's Office has released the identity of the pilot involved in the fatal plane crash Sunday evening.

David Lockard, 73 of Monroe, was found dead after his plane crashed into Lake D'arbonne.


The Union Parish Sheriff's Office responded to a call that a plane crashed into Lake D'Arbonne, close to the state park and a neighborhood on Sam Rodgers Drive.

Witnesses say it happened just after say the plane circled the lake a few times before it took a nose dive.

Neighbors, Steve Danna and Don Williams, tried to rescue the pilot while they waited for authorities to arrive but his plane was completely submerged in water.

 Authorities haven't released his identity but residents say they are familiar with the victim.

"I heard it hit and i saw one of the wings i looked down under the tree and one of the wings came off of it  and it just nose dive over in the water," Williams said.

"To see him fly over the lake and something like this to happen is just it's devastating i mean to all of us the whole neighborhood," Danna said.

Authorities recovered the body while KTVE/KARD was on the scene.

Union Parish Sheriff, Dusty Gates, says the Federal Aviation Administration will begin a full investigation of the crash starting Monday, July 23, 2017.


Union Parish Sheriff, Dusty Gates has confirmed that a plane has crashed at Lake D' Arbonne, near the state park.

Authorities say the incident happened around 5:00 p.m. Sunday.

Deputies with the Union Parish Sheriff's Office is currently on scene along with the Bernice Fire Department along with officials from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. 

The Ouachita Parish Sheriff's Office has also been called out to assist.

OUACHITA PARISH, La. David Lee Lockard died on Sunday after his small plane crashed into Lake D'arbonne in Union Parish.

Sheriff, Dusty Gates, says the call came in shortly after 5 o'clock.

"Deputies responded to the area found a single engine fixed wing air craft in the water; at that time the aircraft had partly submerged in the water they were unable to get into the cockpit area. We contacted the Ouachita Parish Sheriff Dive Team, who came and made a recover a body from the crash."

Lockard was 73 years old. His family says besides his love for flying, he also had a big heart for his family.

The Federal Aviation Administration started investigating the cause of the crash on Monday.

Funeral arrangements for Lockard are below:

Visitation: Wednesday, 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Rowland Road Baptist Church located at 336 Rowland Rd, Monroe, LA 71203.

Funeral: Thursday at 2 p.m. at Rowland Road Baptist Church.

Graveside: Mulhearn Memorial Park Cemetery located at 623 Highway 80 in Monroe.

Repast: Bayou Baptist Church located on 866 LA-139 in Monroe.

FARMERVILLE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - Update: The Union Parish Sheriff's Office has released the name of the victim in the plane crash.

Sheriff Dusty Gates has identified the victim as 73-year-old David Lockard of Monroe.

Previous Story - (7/23/17)

Union Parish Sheriff Dusty Gates has confirmed that the pilot of a small, private plane is dead after his plane crashed into Lake D'Arbonne Sunday afternoon.

Union Parish deputies got the call from a witness around 5:30pm Sunday, when they say they heard a loud noise in the lake.

The Ouachita Parish Sheriff's diving team was called to retrieve the pilot's body from the plane. But, the plane is still submerged in the lake.

Officials still don't know what caused the crash.

The Federal Aviation Administration will be on site Monday to pull the plane from the lake, and determine the cause.

FARMERVILLE, LA - The Union Parish Sheriff's Office has released the identity of the pilot involved in the fatal plane crash Sunday evening.

David Lockard, 73 of Monroe, was found dead after his plane crashed into Lake D'arbonne.

Authorities say the incident happened around 5:00 p.m. Sunday.

Union Parish Sheriff, Dusty Gates, says the Federal Aviation Administration will begin a full investigation of the crash.

One person has been confirmed dead in the crash of a small airplane into Lake D’Arbonne in Union Parish, LA.

The only person on the aircraft was David Lockard, 73, of Monroe, LA. His body was recovered. 

The Union Parish Sheriff’s Office said the aircraft crashed about 5 p.m. Sunday between Lake D’Arbonne State Park and Henry Smith Road.

The location is on the northwest side of the lake, south of Louisiana Highway 2.

Information about the aircraft that crashed has not been released.

Federal Aviation Administration investigators were enroute to Farmerville to investigate the crash, which is in shallow water.

 The Farmerville Municipal Airport is across the lake and southeast of the crash site, but it was not known whether the aircraft was based there, or had used the airport for a takeoff or landing.

The Bernice Volunteer Fire Department, Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries, and the Union and Ouachita parish sheriff’s offices responded.

A Monroe man is dead following a plane crash in Union Parish Sunday afternoon.

Sheriff Dusty Gates confirmed the fatality as David Lockard, 73, Monroe. 

The sheriff's office has determined no one else was on board the plane, which departed from the Union Parish Airport in Farmerville.

The plane crashed into the lake shortly after 5 p.m. near the state park and in front of several homes 

Gates said the plane was a single-engine, fixed wing. 

Gates said investigations from the Federal Aviation Administration are traveling to Union Parish to investigate the crash and should be on scene Monday.

No comments: