Sunday, June 11, 2017

Connecticut Parachutists Inc: Fatal accident occurred June 11, 2017 at Ellington Airport (7B9), Tolland County, Connecticut

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – 22News has learned that the man killed in Sunday morning’s parachute accident in Ellington, Connecticut was a Detective Lieutenant at the Leyden Police Department in Franklin County. 

James Hansmann was 62 years old.

22News talked to Leyden Police Chief Daniel Galvis. He said Lieutenant Hansmann was a 14 year veteran of the police department. 

Chief Galvis described Hansmann as “outgoing and friendly and would do anything for you.” 

The Chief said he was always on call and available to drive from his home in West Springfield to the Police Department in Leyden.

James Hansmann is survived by his four children. He had one son and three daughters.

Hansmann was also engaged to be married.

Hansmann died Sunday morning around 11 a.m. after a parachuting accident at the Ellington Airport in Ellington, Connecticut.

He was critically injured when he landed hard in the parachute drop zone, despite his parachute functioning properly.

Dispatchers say Hansmann was in and out of consciousness and was taken by helicopter to Hartford Hospital where he died.

22News confirmed that Hansmann was a longtime member of Connecticut Parachutist Inc., which is a skydiving club that has been operating out of Ellington Airport for 40 years. 

Manager Pat Newman told 22News Hansmann jumped out of the plane alone, and there was nothing wrong with his equipment. 

Newman would not comment on what may have caused Hansmann to hit the ground so forcefully.

The drop zone where the parachutists land is at 75 Meadow Brook Road in Ellington.

Story and video:

LEYDEN — James “Jim” Hansmann, a detective lieutenant of the Leyden Police Department, died on Sunday morning in a parachuting accident, according to the town’s police chief.

Hansmann, 62, of West Springfield had been with the department for more than a decade, according to Leyden Police Chief Daniel Galvis.

Hansmann was seriously injured while parachuting at Ellington Airport in Connecticut, according to a statement from the Connecticut State Police.

He was treated on the scene by emergency responders and then taken by helicopter to Hartford Hospital where he died. 

Connecticut state police said there was “no criminal aspect” to the incident and the parachute was working properly.

Galvis said Hansmann had been with the department since 2003.

“We’re devastated,” he said.

Galvis said beyond being well liked by all of his colleagues, he was continually getting certified in new areas that benefited the department.

“Everyone is in a state of shock,” he said.

Hansmann had broken several cases in Franklin County throughout his tenure, according to Galvis.

“He was a huge presence in this department and he’s really going to be sorely missed,” Galvis said.

Original article can be found here:

ELLINGTON, Conn. (WTNH) — A man from Massachusetts has died after a parachuting accident in Ellington on Sunday morning.

Lifestar responded to reports of a parachuter who experienced a hard landing in Ellington.

According to Tolland County Dispatch, Ellington Fire and Ellington Ambulance were also at the scene of the parachute drop zone of Ellington Airport where the parachutist had a hard landing. Officials identified the parachuter as 62-year-old James Hansmann of Springfield, Massachusetts. He sustained serious injuries in the incident.

Dispatchers say Hansmann had lost consciousness, but became semi responsive. He was treated on the scene by emergency personnel.

LifeStar took the him to Hartford Hospital, where he passed away due to his injuries.

Police say the parachute was functioning properly and there is no criminal aspect to the incident.

Story and video:

No comments: