Friday, June 2, 2017

Cessna 150M, N66117, Aerotech Academy LLC: Fatal accident occurred June 02, 2017 near Banning Municipal Airport (KBNG), Riverside County, California

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Riverside, California
Textron Aviation; Wichita, Kansas
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Aerotech Academy LLC:

NTSB Identification: WPR17LA118
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, June 02, 2017 in Banning, CA
Aircraft: CESSNA 150M, registration: N66117
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On June 2, 2017, about 1130 Pacific daylight time, a Cessna 150M, N66117, collided with trees and the ground shortly after departing from Banning Municipal Airport (BNG) Banning, California. The certified flight instructor (CFI) was fatally injured and the student pilot sustained serious injuries. The airplane sustained substantial damage to both wings and fuselage. The airplane was registered and operated by Aerotech Academy Inc. under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91, as an instructional flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed. The flight originated from Redlands Municipal Airport (REI), Redlands, California about 1045.

The student pilot reported that they were inbound to BNG where they planned to perform a touch-and-go landing. They entered the right traffic pattern for runway 26, and proceeded to land. The student pilot reported that the landing was hard and the wind was gusting, however, they continue the touch-and-go. He reported that after takeoff, the airplane drifted right of runway centerline and the CFI took control of the airplane. The student's last memories of the event was impacting trees along the freeway.

A witness at BNG reported that he observed the accident airplane on approach to runway 26. He stated the pilot did a touch-and-go and shortly after the airplane became airborne, about 100 feet AGL, it began to descend and began to lose altitude. He stated that shortly thereafter, the wings wobbled and the airplane subsequently impacted trees and terrain near the railroad tracks on the northwest side of the airport. 

The initial examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed that the airplane came to rest between a row of trees and the eastbound freeway onramp. The airplane was on its left side and the left wing was partially attached. Impact damage was noted to one of the propeller blades; the opposing blade was unremarkable.

The AWOS data at BNG at 1120 and 1140 recorded winds from the east at 17 knots gusting to 23 knots, and 17 knots gusting to 22 knots, respectively. 

The wreckage was recovered to a secure location for further examination.

Flight instructor Stanley Cleveck (left) with student Matthew Graves.

The local flying community lost a cherished flight instructor when on Tuesday, June 6, Stanley Cleveck, 87, died of injuries sustained in a June 2 plane crash.

The crash was reported on eastbound Hargrave Street in Banning at about 11:33 a.m. Cleveck and one other passenger were in the Cessna 150. 

Cleveck, a Navy veteran, passed at Desert Regional Medical Center on Tuesday, and the other passenger is reported to be in stable condition.

Highland resident Matthew Graves, 18, was taking lessons from the longtime flight instructor out of Redlands Municipal Airport. He says Cleveck will be greatly missed.

"Everyone knew him, everyone was happy around him, and everyone liked him," Graves said.  "I want to say, 'Thank you,' for everything he did to share his passion and help me and his other students."

"Next year I'm going to Cal Baptist University for aviation, and the rest of my career I'll always keep him in mind because he taught me everything I know," Graves added.

"We came from very different age groups but we still got along really well, There's something very cool about him. He passed away doing what he loved; his passion was flying."

BANNING, CA — A man has died following Friday's plane crash next to Interstate 10 in Banning, Patch has confirmed. The man died Tuesday at Desert Regional Medical Center, according to the Riverside County coroner's office.

Coroner's officials say 87-year-old Stanley Cleveck died at 10:38 p.m. Tuesday. Cleveck was a resident of Patton, which is in San Bernardino County near Highland.

The crash was reported at 11:47 a.m. Friday alongside I-10, near the Hargrave freeway onramp. When fire officials got to the scene, they pulled two people from the wreckage and transported them to the hospital. It's not clear if Cleveck was the pilot or passenger in the aircraft.

Allen Kenitzer with the FAA said the plane was a Cessna 150 and that the FAA and the NTSB will investigate.

Officials tell Patch that the plane had taken off in Palm Springs and was headed to Banning Municipal Airport, which is close to the crash site.

BANNING, Calif. -  Cal Fire is responding to an aircraft emergency after a single-engine airplane went down near I-10 east of Hargrave Street in Banning Friday morning. The plane crashed at 11:34 a.m. 

Authorities said the plane had just departed the Palm Springs International Airport en route to the Banning Airport. Officials said the plane was in landing configuration when the pilot lost control and crashed near I-10 and Hargrave Street. 

Lauren Coronado was at the scene of the crash Friday afternoon. The pilot said there was a strong wind draft that turned the plane upside down before it crashed to the ground east of I-10. 

The crash isn't affecting freeway traffic but the eastbound on ramp from I-10 to Hargrave Street is closed while emergency crews clear the scene. 

Cal Fire officials said the Banning Police Department is helping with the on ramp closure.

Story and video:

Banning, CA -  A combination of gusty winds and the pilots' inability to maintain control may have precipitated a fatal plane crash in Banning, according to federal investigators.

The National Transportation Safety Board last night released its preliminary report on the June 2 crash of a Cessna 150 at Banning Municipal Airport, pointing to weather and handling errors as possible factors. Stanley Clebeck, 87, of Patton died in the crash, while the student pilot flying with him suffered major injuries from which he's still recovering.

According to the NTSB, the two-seat C-150 trainer belonged to Aerotech Academy, a flight school based at Redlands Municipal Airport, where Clebeck was an instructor. Federal Aviation Administration records show that in addition to holding a valid flight instructor's certificate, he also held an airline transport pilot's license and had passed a flight physical in January.

Clebeck and the student pilot -- whose identity was not released -- left Redlands about 10:45 a.m. and eventually steered toward Banning, where they intended to execute a touch-and-go landing on Runway 26, the report stated. About 11:30 a.m., with the student at the controls, the single-engine Cessna entered the pattern at Banning, lining up for the touch-and-go without incident.

According to investigators, winds ranged from 19 to 25 mph, blowing from the east, or behind the airplane. ``The student pilot reported that the landing was hard, and the wind was gusting,'' the NTSB said. ``However, they continued the touch-and-go. The student pilot reported that after takeoff, the airplane drifted right of runway centerline and (Clebeck) took control of the airplane. The student's last memories of the event were impacting trees along the freeway.''

Story: Law Enforcement Agencies Serve A Series of Gang Associate Warrants in Desert Hot Springs

A witness told investigators that he observed the plane climb to about 100 feet after the touch-and-go, then it began to settle back toward the ground. ``He stated that ... the wings wobbled, and the airplane subsequently impacted trees and terrain near railroad tracks on the northwest side of the airport,'' according to the report.

The Cessna came to rest on its left side, along Hargrave Street, adjacent to an eastbound on-ramp to Interstate 10. No one on the ground was hurt, and there was no post-impact fire, though both of the aircraft's wings and its fuselage were substantially damaged.

Clebeck and the student pilot were pulled from the wreckage by Riverside County firefighters. Clebeck was taken to Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs, where he succumbed to his injuries four days later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A touch and go landing in a 150 with a 20-25 knot tailwind??? What was this instructor thinking?