Friday, May 19, 2017

Bell 407, N6040Y, Bell Helicopter Textron Inc: Accident occurred January 24, 2017 in Fort Worth, Texas

The National Transportation Safety Board did not travel to the scene of this accident. 

Additional Participating Entities:
Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office: Irving, Texas
Bell Helicopter Textron; Fort Worth, Texas

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Bell Helicopter Textron Inc:

NTSB Identification: CEN17LA188
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, January 24, 2017 in Fort Worth, TX
Aircraft: BELL 407, registration: N6040Y
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On January 24, 2017, about 0845 central standard time, a Bell 407 helicopter, N6040Y, was substantially damaged during a hard landing at the Bell Training Facility Heliport (3XS7), Fort Worth, Texas. The flight instructor and pilot receiving instruction were not injured. The helicopter was registered to and operated by Bell Helicopter Textron as a 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 141 instructional flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The flight was not operated on a flight plan. The flight originated from the Bell Helicopter Hurst Heliport about 0820.

The flight instructor stated that he was demonstrating the emergency procedure for a failure of the Full Authority Digital Engine Control (FADEC) from auto to manual mode. The helicopter was in a stable 5-foot hover at the time. To begin the demonstration, the FADEC was intentionally switched into manual mode. After approximately 10 seconds, the engine speed began to increase, which resulted in a corresponding increase in the main rotor speed. The instructor increased the collective control input in an attempt to control the engine and rotor speed. The helicopter subsequently climbed to about 25 feet above ground level (agl) and began to shake violently. The flight instructor maintained control and initiated a descent for landing. However, the helicopter contacted the ground with a sufficient descent rate to spread the skids. The helicopter was subsequently shut down and the pilots exited without injury.

No comments: