Saturday, March 25, 2017

Cessna T210L Turbo Centurion, Rheiorg Consulting LLC, N6563D: Fatal accident occurred March 25, 2017 in Hayden, Blount County, Alabama

The National Transportation Safety Board traveled to the scene of this accident.

Additional Participating Entities:

Federal Aviation Administration / Flight Standards District Office; Birmingham, Alabama 
Continental Motors; Mobile, Alabama
Textron/ Cessna; Wichita, Kansas

Aviation Accident Preliminary Report - National Transportation Safety Board:

Rheiorg Consulting LLC: 

NTSB Identification: ERA17FA136

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, March 25, 2017 in Hayden, AL
Aircraft: CESSNA T210L, registration: N6563D
Injuries: 4 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On March 25, 2017, about 1425 central daylight time, a Cessna 210L, N6563D, was destroyed during a uncontrolled descent and subsequent inflight breakup near Hayden, Alabama. The pilot and three passengers were fatally injured. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed and an instrument flight rules flight plan was filed. The flight originated from Kissimmee Gateway Airport (ISM), Orlando, Florida, and was destined for Mc Kellar-Sipes Regional Airport (MKL), Jackson, Tennessee. The personal flight was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to preliminary air traffic control (ATC) radar and voice communication data provided by the Federal Aviation Administration, ATC described moderate to extreme precipitation to the pilot and asked if the pilot needed to deviate. The pilot replied that he would go anywhere the controller thought was the quickest route across the weather. The controller replied that he did not have a better route, and allowed the pilot to deviate as necessary, instructing the pilot to proceed to his destination when able. The airplane then began to descend, and the controller instructed the pilot to maintain 12,000 feet. The airplane continued to descend and the pilot advised ATC "I'm doing the best I can." The controller advised the pilot that turning to the east or southeast would be away from the weather. The airplane continued descending and the pilot did not respond. ATC advised the pilot that he was descending thru 5,800 feet and to check his altitude. There was no response, and shortly after radar contact was lost.

According to a witness, he was standing in his driveway and noticed how windy it was, and that the trees were leaning over almost 90 degrees. He said that it was not raining but he did hear thunder in the distance. He reported hearing an airplane flying above making a "weird" sound. He said he heard a loud "boom" and started seeing pieces of the airplane falling out of the sky, but did not see it break apart. He then saw the fuselage of the airplane which was spinning through the air heading towards the ground.

The wreckage was scattered over a large area that included dense vegetation. The debris field was about one mile in length, oriented toward 247 degrees true. The first component located along the debris field was the left elevator. Additional components located along the debris path included fragments of the right wing and the left-wing assembly. The fuselage came to rest at the end of the debris path in a dense wooded area. The fuselage, cockpit, cabin section, empennage and engine were destroyed. The wreckage was recovered from the site and retained for further examination.

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should

    Joseph and Jennifer Crenshaw, with their two children Jacob and Jillian 

Jackson, Tennessee 

Joseph and Jennifer Crenshaw of Jackson, TN, along with their two children Jacob and Jillian, lost their lives following a weather-related aircraft accident on March 25th, 2017.

Joseph Connell Crenshaw, 46, was born on June 16, 1970 in Jackson, TN to Nancy Crenshaw and the late Dr. Tom Crenshaw. He is survived by his mother, Nancy Connell Crenshaw of Humboldt; his brothers, John Crenshaw and Tim Crenshaw; three nieces and two nephews; and his father and mother-in-law, David and Lynn Nance of Trenton. Joseph was a graduate of University of Tennessee at Martin. He was a Certified Financial Planner, Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist, and Accredited Investment Fiduciary of First Tennessee Bank. He was also a former Board Member of University School of Jackson where his children attended as well as an Instrument-Rated Pilot and a much beloved father and husband. Joseph hosted the neighborhood Fourth of July fireworks extravaganza each year. He was an intelligent, ambitious, and funny Tom Cruise doppleganger. He fought for his family and truly was the glue that held them all together. 

Jennifer Dawn Nance Crenshaw, 43, was born on January 31, 1972 in Jackson, TN to David and Lynn Caraway Nance of Trenton. She is survived by her parents, David and Lynn Nance of Trenton; her sister Laura Lynn Springfield of Jackson; two nieces and one nephew; and her mother-in-law, Nancy Crenshaw of Humboldt. Jennifer "Ginger" Crenshaw obtained her Bachelors of Science degree from University of Tennessee at Martin and her Registered Nursing degree from Union University. Ginger was a Certified Private Pilot, who enjoyed painting and art, and entertaining family and friends. Jennifer was, first and foremost, a devoted mother and wife. Jennifer was a beautiful spirit who adored her kids more than anything and fiercely protected them. These Crenshaws were true soulmates and stayed together through thick and thin. This family lived well and were loved more than most. This is why they will be missed so very much! 

Jacob Addison Crenshaw, 16, was born on August 10, 2000 in Humboldt, TN to the late Joseph and Jennifer Crenshaw. He is survived by his maternal grandparents, David and Lynn Nance of Trenton and his paternal grandmother, Nancy Crenshaw of Humboldt. Jacob "Thunder Calves" Crenshaw was a sophomore and avid football player at University School of Jackson. He was a four-year member of the USJ band where he played the drums. He also enjoyed playing "Dungeons and Dragons" competitively with his friends. He was a loyal, dedicated, vivacious and handsome young man. He truly inspired those around him with his commitment and positive spirit. Jacob was a natural leader and role model to both his family and friends. 

Jillian Celeste Crenshaw, 14, was born on February 17, 2003 in Jackson, TN to the late Joseph and Jennifer Crenshaw. She is survived by her maternal grandparents, David and Lynn Nance of Trenton and her paternal grandmother, Nancy Crenshaw of Humboldt. Jillian was an eighth grader at the University School of Jackson. Jillian was a USJ Scholar, a tennis club member, and a National Presidential Fitness Award Recipient. She was actively involved in both Kincaid-Gooch Voice Studio and University School of Jackson musicals and plays. Jillian was an incredibly talented and riveting aspiring young actress and singer. She was smart, funny, sensitive, kind and had an infectious smile that would light up an entire room. 

The period of visitation will be held for two hours on Saturday, April 1, 2017 from 11-1 p.m. at West Jackson Baptist Church.

A funeral service will be held on Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 1 p.m. at West Jackson Baptist Church with a private family burial to follow.

George A. Smith and Sons North Chapel

- See more at:

Four roses at the crash site


Anonymous said...

These are the accidents that are the most sad. Young families that perish for no good reason.
It looks like weather was the main factor in this tragedy, and the pilots decision to fly through that storm front.
Prayers to the family and friends.

Anonymous said...

A VFR pilot trying to fly through a squall sad...

Anonymous said...

Not sure I would call suicide an "accident". There is nothing accidental about knowingly killing oneself and one's family.
That, IMO, makes these pointless deaths even sadder.
It just gets to show that you can't buy good ADM, no matter how rich you are.

Edward A Chipps DDS said...

Such a tragedy. When I see that beautiful photo of the Crenshaw family it makes me want to hug my own family and never let go.
Every time this happens I make an effort to learn from the tragic mistakes of others as I put my precious family in my own aircraft.
If just one pilot learns from this, they will not have died in vain.
God bless the Crenshaws, their family, and their community.

Ted Chipps
Marietta Ga

gretnabear said...

Joseph was a "Instrument-Rated Pilot" and "Ginger was a Certified Private Pilot" - See more at:

eglide73 said...

Look at the flight path and weather radar on flight aware. It was suicide in a Cessna 210.

Jim B said...

Thanks eglide73 - Flight Aware does show a terrible story.

The altitude/airspeed graph especially. This line of bad weather was certainly visible from hundreds of miles away at 10,000 feet. It would have been prudent to get down ahead of the thin line of bad stuff and have lunch or a snack and avoid the stress. It was even in the middle of the afternoon. Did dad really have to get home that bad? Its all hindsight now. Peace to that family.

We travel that general area ourselves about twice a year going from Virginia to Texas. We bought a T182T last summer that did not get the XM satellite upgrade to the KMD-540 in 2010 so I spent $3K upgrading the receiver and getting a $700/yr data subscription. Although the data is delayed by ~10-30 min the situational awareness of NEXRAD is superb. Despite all those nice tools I still need to make a decision to get when necessary.

Despite all the criticism I get I still say and maintain that aviation is not dangerous. Aviation has dangers that must be mitigated to an acceptable level.

If one fails to mitigate those dangers then (their kind) of aviation is dangerous.

Lets learn from this.

Anonymous said...

This type of accident DOES NOT have to happen. Those two poor innocent children had parents with more money than brains. It makes me wonder why? Certainly some CFI along the way saw the lack of ADM skills or cavalier attitude! Small airplanes do not belong in Wx. Either drive or wait it out. Good lord!

Air Carrier, ATP, CFI-

Anonymous said...

My gosh – haven’t we all learned enough already. It doesn’t matter how much one spends on overpriced electronic equipment, somehow that has allowed some decisions to lean toward the wrong direction. Back to basics – less than clear blue sky, stay on the ground.

a said...

Seems like most of these are experienced pilots who have gotten too comfortable in taking risk. I'm sure this wasn't the first time they tried this figured be okay. Until the NTSB is able to try and figure out what their decision making was based on who knows why they did it. Here is a very similar accident of another family who the pilot was using delayed radar service from the ground to dodge thunderstorms ended badly for his entire family.

Air Safety Institute Accident study

Anonymous said...

I suspect it was an over reliance on autopilot.

Anonymous said...

I fly a 1981 210N. I am an instrument rated pilot with 550 hours, more than half in my 210, all in the three years I've been flying. Thank you for posting a picture of the family. My instrument written instructor did something similar with a picture of an oh so similar family he had trained that died in an instrument missed approach.

Those of us who take up flying it is often because we are busy. We want to get there. On one hand I feel this pilot made some really bad decisions. I think I would have made different ones. However, I have definitely made decisions that could have been better and put me in positions which were not entirely safe. I hope seeing this tragedy will help me and others to know it could easily be me and that there are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.

David Eames

Anonymous said...

Please have a heart.... I live in this area where it happened and my husband ran the call for 20 PLUS HOURS! It was heartbreaking/devastating and very tragic. im sure he wasn't planning on killing his WHOLE family while in air. RIP CRENSHAW FAMILY!

Anonymous said...

Always ask yourself if what your about to do makes sense. Rarely do these things just happen. It’s a series of events that culminate. We are safer today because of those who have gone before us. Take this accident and make yourself a better aviator. God bless this family.