Monday, September 5, 2016

Cessna 172N Skyhawk, N17SK: Fatal accident occurred August 25, 2016 near Sky King Airport (3I3), Terre Haute, Vigo County, Indiana

FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Indianapolis FSDO-11

NTSB Identification: CEN16FA333 
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, August 25, 2016 in Terre Haute, IN
Aircraft: CESSNA 172N, registration: N17SK
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On August 25, 2016, about 1910 eastern daylight time, a Cessna model 172N single-engine airplane, N17SK, was substantially damaged when it collided with trees and a house while on final approach to runway 26 at the Sky King Airport (3I3) located near Terre Haute, Indiana. There were two private pilots onboard. One pilot sustained fatal injuries and the other serious injuries. The airplane was registered to and operated by a private individual under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the local flight that departed 3I3 about 1816.

A witness, who was a flight instructor providing ground instruction at the airport, reported that the accident airplane approached from the north and entered the traffic pattern for runway 26 (3,557 feet by 50 feet, asphalt). He then observed the airplane touchdown between the half-moon runway turnoff and the runway 18/36 intersection. After landing, the airplane was observed to back-taxi on runway 26 before it departed again. The witness described the next landing approach as being "high and fast" and that a go-around was performed before the airplane crossed over the displaced threshold. The witness did not observe the subsequent landing approach or the crash.

Another witness, located near the accident site, reported that he heard an airplane pass over his house and that it was much louder than typical. He then saw the airplane traveling at a low altitude and slow speed before he heard it collide with a tree. The witness reported that, following the collision with the tree, he heard the airplane increase engine power before it crashed into the house.

According to preliminary information, the current owner of the accident airplane was attempting to sell the airplane and that the accident flight was with a potential buyer. The pilot who survived the accident was unable to provide a written statement or to be interviewed before the release of this preliminary report. According to fire department personnel, following the accident, the potential buyer was recovered from the left cockpit seat and the current airplane owner was recovered from the right cockpit seat.

According to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, the current airplane owner, age 63, held a private pilot certificate with a single engine land airplane rating. His last aviation medical examination was completed on May 16, 2016, when he was issued a third-class medical certificate with a limitation for corrective lenses. A search of FAA records showed no previous accidents, incidents, or enforcement proceedings. His last flight review, as required by FAA regulation 61.56, was completed upon the issuance of his private pilot certificate dated July 14, 2015. The pilot's flight history was reconstructed using logbook documentation. His most recent pilot logbook entry was dated July 31, 2016, at which time he had accumulated 135.5 hours total flight time, of which 48.6 hours were listed as pilot-in-command. All of his flight time had been completed in a Cessna model 172N single-engine airplane. He had accumulated 5.0 hours in actual instrument meteorological conditions, 12.9 hours in simulated instrument meteorological conditions, and 3.4 hours at night. He had flown 24.7 hours during the prior 12 months, 4.4 hours in the previous 6 months, 2.4 hours during prior 90 days, and 1 hour in the 30 day period before the accident flight. The pilot's logbook did not contain any recorded flight time for the 24 hour period before the accident flight.

According to FAA records, the potential buyer, age 60, held a private pilot certificate with a single engine land airplane rating. His last aviation medical examination was completed on November 6, 2014, when he was issued a third-class medical certificate with a limitation for corrective lenses. A search of FAA records showed no previous accidents, incidents, or enforcement proceedings. A pilot logbook was not recovered during the on-scene investigation; however, on the application for his current medical certificate, he reported having accumulated 120 hours of flight experience.

The accident airplane was a 1980 Cessna model 172N, serial number 17273809. A 160-horsepower Lycoming model O-320-H2AD reciprocating engine, serial number L-495-76T, powered the airplane through a fixed-pitch, two blade, McCauley model 1C160/DTM7557 propeller, serial number 82011. The airplane had a fixed tricycle landing gear, was capable of seating four individuals, and had a certified maximum gross weight of 2,300 pounds. The airplane was issued a standard airworthiness certificate on February 13, 1980. According to an airplane utilization logbook, the airplane's HOBBS hour meter indicated 3,903.7 hours before the accident flight. The airplane's HOBBS hour meter indicated 3,904.6 hours at the accident site. The airframe had accumulated a total service time of 15,073 hours. The engine had accumulated a total service time of 9,554.6 hours since new. The engine had accumulated 378.6 hours since being overhauled on August 1, 2013. The last annual inspection of the airplane was completed on December 9, 2015, at 15,025.1 total airframe hours. A postaccident review of the maintenance records found no history of unresolved airworthiness issues. The airplane had a total fuel capacity of 42 gallons (40 gallons usable) distributed between two wing fuel tanks. A review of fueling records established that the airplane fuel tanks were topped-off on July 31, 2016. According to available information, the airplane had flown 1.8 hours since the last refueling.

The nearest aviation weather reporting station was located at Terre Haute International Airport (HUF), Terre Haute, Indiana, about 7 miles south-southeast of the accident site. At 1853, the HUF automated surface observing system reported the following weather conditions: wind 280 degrees true at 5 knots, visibility 10 miles, sky clear, temperature 31 degrees Celsius, dew point 23 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting 30.03 inches of mercury.

The initial point-of-impact was the top of a large 50-foot tall oak tree located about 190 feet east of the house where the main wreckage came to rest. The oak tree was located along the extended runway 26 centerline about 1,355 feet from the runway displaced threshold. There were numerous small limbs and leaves distributed between the initial point-of-impact and the house. Based on the orientation of the wreckage in the house, the accident airplane descended through the roof of the house in a near vertical flight path. A postaccident examination of the airplane confirmed flight control cable continuity from all flight control surfaces to their respective cockpit controls. The wing flaps were found extended 10-degrees. The throttle and mixture controls were full open and full rich. The magneto switch was found in the BOTH position. The carburetor heat control was found ON. The fuel selector was positioned to draw fuel from both wing fuel tanks. No fuel was recovered from either wing tank; however, there was a significant odor of aviation fuel at the accident site beneath the wreckage. Additionally, a witness reported seeing fuel drain from the wreckage immediately following the accident. The airframe fuel strainer contained a blue fluid consistent with 100 low lead aviation fuel. The fuel recovered from the strainer did not contain any water or particulate contamination.

The engine remained attached to the firewall by its mounts. Mechanical continuity was confirmed from the engine components to their respective cockpit controls. Internal engine and valve train continuity was confirmed as the engine crankshaft was rotated. Compression and suction were noted on all cylinders in conjunction with crankshaft rotation. The spark plugs were removed and exhibited features consistent with normal engine operation. The single-drive dual magneto provided spark on all leads as the engine crankshaft was rotated. A borescope inspection revealed no anomalies with the cylinders, valves, or pistons. There were no obstructions between the air filter housing and the carburetor. The carburetor fuel bowl contained residual liquid that had the odor of 100 low-lead aviation fuel. The propeller had separated from the engine crankshaft flange. Both propeller blades exhibited S-shape bends, blade twisting, and chordwise burnishing.

VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) –  According to an obituary in the Lexington Herald-Leader, Dr. John Trump died on September 3 due to the injuries he received in the plane crash.

The plane crash happened on August 25 as the plane Trump and William Patrick O’Neill were in was assumed to be attempting to land at Sky King Airport.

According to the obituary, Trump is a resident of Lexington, Kentucky and is survived by his wife and children.

The last known condition of O’Neill was on August 26 when News 10 was told he was at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis in stable condition.


TRUMP Dr. John Thomas, 60, a resident of Lexington, beloved husband of Patty Gross Trump, died September 3, 2016, due to injuries suffered in a small plane crash in Terre Haute, IN. Born and raised in Michigan, he was the eldest son of the late John Walter Trump and Anabel Crow Trump, currently of Carlisle, OH. Dr. Trump was a graduate of Asbury College, the University of Michigan School of Dentistry and the University of Kentucky School of Medicine. He honorably served in the U.S. Air Force and the Kentucky Army National Guard, retiring as a colonel in 2004. A skilled anesthesiologist, Dr. Trump was known by colleagues and patients for his calm demeanor and soothing bedside manner. He had a generous nature and was always eager to lend a helping hand to family, friends and strangers alike. An avid runner since high school, he continued to participate in races and running events until his death. Other members of the Todd's Road Stumblers recall how he would slacken his pace to run alongside them. In addition to his wife, he will be greatly missed by his two children, Kevin Trump of Wilmore and Melinda (Blake) Johnson of Lexington; three stepchildren, Frederick "Chris" Augsburg of Lexington, Sandra (Paul) Jansen of Indianapolis, IN, and Jeffrey Davis of Lexington; a brother, Daniel (Meg) Trump of Miamisburg, OH; two sisters, Nina Trump of Dearborn Heights, MI, and Marjorie (Richard) Toepler of Cincinnati, OH; and three grandchildren, Raeanne and Brianna Augsburg, and Jeffrey "Wade" Davis. He was preceded in death by a brother, Joseph Trump. Dr. Trump will also be greatly missed by the Gross Family, who loved him dearly and of whom he has been a beloved family member for almost 14 years. Funeral services will be 1pm on Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2016 by Pastor Mark Sloss at Faith Lutheran Church, where Dr. Trump was a dedicated member. Burial will be in Lexington Cemetery. Visitation will be 4-8pm on Tuesday at Kerr Brothers Funeral Home-Harrodsburg Rd. and noon until the time of the service at the Church. Memorials are suggested to the American Diabetes Association and the Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates.

- See more at:

Todd Fox with the National Transportation Safety Board and Donald Shipman III and William Schneider of the Federal Aviation Administration. 

Todd Fox, National Transportation Safety Board

No comments: