Saturday, August 27, 2016

BDK Carbon Concepts, N8008Z: Accident occurred September 16, 2016 in Wasilla, Alaska

FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Anchorage FSDO-03

NTSB Identification: ANC16LA068
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, September 16, 2016 in Wasilla, AK
Aircraft: JEFFERY D TUTTLE BDK Carbon Concepts, registration: N8008Z
Injuries: 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On September 16, 2016, about 1104 Alaska daylight time, a tailwheel-equipped, experimental amateur-built, Tuttle BDK Carbon Concepts airplane, N8008Z, sustained substantial damage following an in-flight structural failure of the leading-edge wing slats, followed by a loss of control, and subsequent impact with terrain. The accident occurred as the pilot was attempting to return for an emergency landing near Wasilla, Alaska. The airplane was registered to, and operated by, the pilot as a visual flight rules (VFR) flight under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91 when the accident occurred. The certificated commercial pilot, the sole occupant of the airplane, sustained serious injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed. The local area flight departed Anderson Lake Airport, Wasilla, about 1100, with a planned stop at Palmer Airport, Palmer, Alaska, for touch-and-go landings prior to returning to Anderson Lake Airport. 

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board investigator-in-charge on September 21, the pilot reported, from his hospital room, that the accident flight was the first flight after he completed building the experimental, amateur-built airplane. He added that the airplane was equipped with carbon fiber, leading-edge wing slats, manufactured by Carbon Concepts LLC, Wasilla. 

The pilot said that after departure from Anderson Lake Airport, he flew the airplane eastbound while climbing to an altitude of about 1,000 feet, followed by a turn to the west. After completing the turn to the west, the pilot heard a loud "pop" and he immediately saw that the airplane's left wing leading-edge wing slat had buckled and distorted making the airplane difficult to control about the longitudinal and vertical axis. He stated that while struggling to maintain control of the airplane he realized that he was too high to make an emergency, straight-in approach to the Anderson Lake Airport, so he chose to overfly the airport while descending. He added that during the emergency descent to the airport, he was forced to make significant engine power adjustments in an effort to maintain control of the airplane. After overflying the airport, he made a right turn to begin the approach to the Anderson Lake Airport when the right wing leading-edge wing slat failed, resulting in almost a complete loss of control. He guided the airplane using the rudder and varying the engine power settings to an open road, with his main concern being not to cause undue harm to people or property on the ground. During the emergency descent the airplane struck the top of a tree before impacting the road in a nose low attitude, sustaining substantial damage to the wings and fuselage. 

The closest weather reporting facility is Wasilla Airport. At 1056, an aviation routine weather report (METAR) at Wasilla, reported: wind from 070 degrees at 5 knots; visibility 10 statute miles; sky condition, scattered clouds 7,000 feet, scattered clouds 8,000 feet; temperature 54 degrees F; dew point 41 degrees F; altimeter 29.38 inHg.

WASILLA, Alaska (KTUU) - The pilot and sole occupant of a Super Cub airplane suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries when his aircraft crashed over a residential area near Wasilla.

Alaska State Troopers have identified the pilot as 34-year-old Jeffrey Tuttle from Palmer. According to troopers on the scene, the plane took off from Anderson Lake Airstrip near Bogard Road and Caribou Street at around 11:05 Friday afternoon.

Soon after takeoff, the aircraft experienced mechanical issues and Tuttle attempted to return to the airfield. As he was trying to land, the aircraft clipped several nearby trees and entered a nosedive, according to Mat Su Deputy Director of Emergency Services Ken Barkley.

The plane crashed near the fence of a business on Caribou Street near Bogard Road, its tail stick up in the air slightly over the roadway. When emergency responders arrived on scene, a group of bystanders had already pulled Tuttle from the damaged plane. He was transported to Mat Su Regional hospital for medical treatment.

There was no fire following the crash, however firefighters did discover a small fuel leak that they were able to stop, Barkley said. The plane sustained heavy damage to its nose while the tail and wings remained intact.

The Federal Aviation Administration was notified of the incident and is investigating the wreckage on behalf of the National Transportation Safety Board, according to troopers on scene. Caribou Street was closed through the afternoon as emergency personnel and investigators responded to the wreckage.


WASILLA – Last updated at 1 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 16

A pilot survived a plane crash in Wasilla with injuries that are not considered life-threatening by local officials.

In an online dispatch, Alaska State Troopers identified the pilot of the plane as 34-year-old Jeffrey Tuttle, of Palmer.

Tuttle survived with serious injuries, troopers said, and told investigators his plane likely experienced mechanical issues shortly after taking off from a small airport in the area of Caribou Street and Bogard Road.

According to an email from Ken Barkley, Matanuska-Susitna Borough Fire deputy director, three hunters saw the plane crash on Caribou Street and helped get Tuttle out of the aircraft.

One of the hunters was an Anchorage Fire Department captain and paramedic, and gave the pilot first aid, Barkley said. He said the plane was trying to return to airport when the pilot experienced trouble and his left wing clipped nearby trees, which caused him to crash on Caribou Street.

Barkley said Tuttle was transported to Mat-Su Regional Medical Center for care of his injuries.

He said the fire department secured the batteries and fuel leak, and there was no fire in connection to the crash.

The plane was registered under tail number N8008Z to Tuttle, who owned the plane, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Clint Johnson, a spokesman for the National Transportation Safety Board, said the agency had been notified and was investigating the crash.


No comments: