Tuesday, August 9, 2016

de Havilland DHC-2 MK.1 Beaver, Rapids Camp Lodge LLC, N95RC: Accident occurred August 08, 2016 in Iliamna, Alaska

RAPIDS CAMP LODGE INC:   http://registry.faa.gov/N95RC

FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Anchorage FSDO-03

NTSB Identification: ANC16LA054
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, August 08, 2016 in Iliamna, AK
Aircraft: DE HAVILLAND BEAVER DHC-2, registration: N95RC
Injuries: 4 Serious, 3 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On August 8, about 1651 Alaska daylight time, a float-equipped de Havilland DHC-2 (Beaver) airplane, N95RC, sustained substantial damage when it impacted terrain during takeoff from Crosswind Lake, located about 38 miles south of Iliamna, Alaska. Of the seven people on board, the commercial pilot and three passengers sustained serious injuries, and three passengers sustained minor injuries. The airplane was registered to, and operated by, Rapids Camp Lodge, Inc., King Salmon, Alaska, as a visual flight rules (VFR) other work-use flight, under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The flight was originating at the time of the accident and was destined to King Salmon.

In a brief telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board investigator-in-charge on August 9, the accident pilot stated that before starting his takeoff run, he back-taxied the airplane to the far north/northeast end of the lake in an attempt to use the full length of the lake for takeoff. He said that during his takeoff run, the airplane did not become airborne before reaching the lake's south/southwest shoreline, and the airplane floats subsequently collided with an area of rising terrain on the shoreline. The airplane sustained substantial damage to the wings and fuselage.

The pilot of a floatplane that crashed on departure from a lake south of Iliamna last week told investigators that the aircraft never became airborne during a full takeoff run.

According to the National Park Service, the de Havilland Beaver floatplane carrying seven people crashed on takeoff from Crosswinds Lake, about 40 miles south of Iliamna in Katmai National Park and Preserve, at about 4:30 p.m. Aug. 8. The pilot and three passengers were injured.

The Park Service identified the pilot as 65-year-old Amos Harari of Wichita Falls, Texas. Its passengers included:

• Thomas McPherson, 78, of Oakton, Virginia
• William McPherson, 72, of Palm Harbor, Florida
• Robert Chaney, 69, of Centerville, Ohio
• John "Mitch" Chaney, 67, of Downingtown, Pennsylvania
• Douglas McQuilliams, 50, of Sultan, Washington
• Christopher Gong, 28, of Naknek

Harari and Chaney were taken to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage; Harari was no longer at the hospital by Wednesday, and Chaney was listed in fair condition.

A preliminary National Transportation Safety Board report on the crash released this week includes details from Harari, who spoke briefly with an NTSB investigator by phone the day after the crash. The plane, operated by the Rapids Camp Lodge in King Salmon, was headed to the lodge when it crashed.

"(Harari) stated that before starting his takeoff run, he back-taxied the airplane to the far north/northeast end of the lake in an attempt to use the full length of the lake for takeoff," investigators wrote. "He said that during his takeoff run, the airplane did not become airborne before reaching the lake's south/southwest shoreline, and the airplane floats subsequently collided with an area of rising terrain on the shoreline."

Jason Lux, the park's acting chief ranger, said the first responders — a pair of park rangers traveling along Funnel Creek — reached the plane about 20 minutes after it went down.

"They happened to be rafting on the river when it occurred, and so they hiked from the shore of the river to the crash," Lux said.

The rangers reported weather in the area included high clouds, good visibility and winds at 35 mph.

Lt. Col. Candis Olmstead, the Alaska National Guard's director of public affairs, said three of the four injured reported varying degrees of back pain, and the fourth suffered a concussion. The Guard responded to the crash, picking up the injured and transferring some to Anchorage for treatment.

Staff at Rapids Camp Lodge owner Deneki Outdoors did not answer repeated requests for comment on the crash.

Source:   http://www.adn.com

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the cause of a floatplane crash in Southwest Alaska on Monday.

Clint Johnson, NTSB Alaska chief, said his agency was notified about the crash at about 5:15 p.m. The preliminary information he got from the Alaska Air National Guard was that a DeHavilland Beaver went down in a body of water 35 miles south of Iliamna. The town of Iliamna is about 225 miles from Anchorage.

“We were notified there was an accident and a rescue was in progress. Initially they reported there were seven people onboard and that there were serious injuries,” Johnson said.

Staff Sergeant Ed Eagerton with the 176th Wing of the Alaska Air National Guard said a HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter and a HC-130 King aircraft with pararesuce teams aboard handled the rescue.

They reached the crash site, near Mirror Lake, at 8:20 p.m. and found four of the seven people there were injured.

One person was flown directly to Providence Alaska Medical Center by helicopter. The other three, less seriously injured, were flown to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardon, Eagerton said.

The plane’s tail number indicates the plane is owned by Rapids Camp Lodge, based in King Salmon.

NTSB investigator Mitch Gallo is attempting to reach the owners, Johnson said.

A preliminary report should be out within a couple of days, Johnson said.

The crash occurred as the plane was taking off, Eagerton said.

"It apparently never got airborne," he said.

Source:  http://www.ktuu.com

Rescue personnel with the Alaska Air National Guard responded to a plane crash south of Iliamna Monday evening that left four people injured, an official said.

According to Lt. Col. Candis Olmstead, director of public affairs with the Alaska National Guard, the National Park Service contacted the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center in Anchorage to request assistance responding to the crash, which occurred at about 4:45 p.m. Monday.

A DeHavilland Beaver on floats belonging to Rapids Camp Lodge in King Salmon attempted to take off from a body of water near Mirror Lake, south of Iliamna, but "did not get airborne," Olmstead said in an email.

Four out of the seven people in the plane at the time of the crash were injured, she said.

"Three of the injured appear to have moderate to severe back pain, and the fourth injured has a concussion," Olmstead wrote.

An HC-130 aircraft from the 211th Rescue Squadron and an HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter from the 210th Rescue Squadron, each with a team of pararescuemen aboard, arrived at the crash site just after 8 p.m.

The four injured occupants of the plane were taken to Iliamna by the helicopter and transferred to to the HC-130, which was on its way to Anchorage shortly after 9:30 p.m. Pararescuemen were administering medical care during the flight, Olmstead said.

Clint Johnson, National Transportation Safety Board Alaska chief, said Monday evening that the agency had been notified of the crash and was awaiting additional information.

Source:   http://www.adn.com

No comments: