Thursday, May 5, 2016

Cessna 310F, N6770X, Lashbrook Inc: Fatal accident occurred May 05, 2016 at North Little Rock Municipal Airport (KORK), North Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas


FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Little Rock FSDO-11

NTSB Identification: CEN16FA172
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, May 05, 2016 in North Little Rock, AR
Aircraft: CESSNA 310F, registration: N6770X
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On May 5, 2016, about 1331 central daylight time, a Cessna model 310F twin-engine airplane, N6770X, was destroyed when it impacted terrain following a loss of control near the North Little Rock Municipal Airport (ORK), North Little Rock, Arkansas. A postimpact fire ensued. The airline transport pilot (ATP) applicant sustained serious injuries. The pilot examiner was fatally injured. The airplane was registered to and operated by Lashbrook Inc. under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as an instructional flight. Day visual meteorological conditions (VMC) prevailed for the local area flight that was originating at the time of the accident.

The accident occurred during an ATP checkride that was being administered by a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) designated pilot examiner. According to available radar track data, at 1329:43 (hhmm:ss), the accident airplane appeared on radar shortly after departing from runway 5 and did not subsequently climb above 800 feet msl. The airplane continued on a northeast heading of 050 degrees for approximately 24 seconds before it entered a left turn to a southwest heading of 225 degrees. The 175 degree left turn took about 29 seconds to complete and had a turn radius of about 1/3 mile. The turn rate averaged about 6 degrees per second during the left turn. After completing the left turn, the airplane continued to the southwest, on a ground track toward runway 17, while maintaining 800 feet msl, until the final recorded radar point at 1330:56. The final radar data point was located about 1/3 mile northeast of the runway 17 displaced threshold.

Preliminary performance calculations, based on available radar data, indicated that the airplane initially maintained a calculated true airspeed of 85-96 knots during the upwind leg from runway 5; however, the calculated true airspeed decreased from 96 knots to 84 knots during the left turn to the southwest. During the final 20 seconds of recorded radar data, the calculated true airspeed further decreased from 84 knots to 79 knots. According to airplane manufacturer documentation, the minimum controllable airspeed (Vmc) for the accident airplane was 70 knots (80 mph), the single-engine best angle-of-climb (Vxse) was 83 knots (95 mph), and the single-engine best rate-of-climb (Vyse) was 97 knots (111 mph).

A witness photographed the airplane shortly before it impacted the ground. According to the associated file metadata, the photo was captured at 1330:59. At that time, the airplane was observed in a left wing low, 45-degree bank, in a slightly nose low attitude. Additional review of the photograph established the airplane was on a southerly heading and was at or below treetop level.

A surveillance camera partially captured the accident impact sequence. The surveillance camera's field-of-view was aligned to the southwest and primarily focused on an industrial yard that was located about 450 feet east of the initial impact point. At 1331:00.35 (, the accident airplane appeared in the upper right corner of the field-of-view; however, the airplane was partially obscured by a tree that was positioned between the camera and the initial impact point. At 1331:00.54, a fire/explosion emerged and continued to grow, over a period of about 2.6 seconds, as the impact sequence progressed from right-to-left in the field-of-view. At 1331:02.35, the left engine emerged from the central explosion, tumbling away from the main wreckage, and came to rest in an open field about 1331:07.35. A ground fire was observed along the debris path and the associated smoke plumes appeared to drift toward the southeast. There was a power interruption to the surveillance camera, between 1331:15.78 and 1337:35.72. When the footage resumed, a majority of the ground fire had subsided; however, the main wreckage remained on fire. There was a second power interruption, between 1337:55.76 and 1342:44.66. After the footage resumed, the fire at the main wreckage had been extinguished by responding fire department personnel.

Following the accident, several fire department personnel spoke with the ATP applicant concerning the accident flight. When asked what had occurred during the flight, the ATP applicant told the fire department personnel that the left engine had experienced a loss of engine power shortly after takeoff. The ATP applicant further stated that, following the loss of left engine power, the examiner took over airplane control and was attempting to fly the airplane back to the airport when the accident occurred.

The ATP applicant was not interviewed by the NTSB or the FAA before the release of this preliminary report. Although attempts were made to interview the ATP applicant at the hospital, his on-going medical treatment precluded an interview or his providing a written statement.

The ATP applicant was a captain with the Air National Guard and typically flew four-engine turboprop Lockheed C-130 airplanes. The ATP applicant also held a FAA commercial pilot certificate with single-engine land, multiengine land, and instrument airplane ratings. His application for the ATP certificate, dated May 4, 2016, listed a total flight time of 950 hours, of which 612 hours were accumulated in multiengine airplanes. The pilot examiner held a FAA ATP certificate with single-engine land, single-engine sea, multiengine land, and instrument airplane ratings. The pilot examiner also held a flight instructor certificate with single-engine, multiengine, and instrument airplane ratings. According to a FAA medical application, dated July 24, 2015, the pilot examiner had accumulated 12,257 hours of flight time.

At 1253, about 38 minutes before the accident, an automated surface observing system located at Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport/Adams Field (LIT), about 7.5 miles south of the accident site, reported the following weather conditions: wind 320 degrees true at 13 knots, gusting 19 knots; surface visibility 10 miles; few clouds at 25,000 feet agl; temperature 24 degrees Celsius, dew point 5 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting of 30.01 inches of mercury.

At 1353, about 22 minutes after the accident, the LIT automated surface observing system reported the wind 340 degrees true at 7 knots, surface visibility 10 miles, few clouds at 4,500 feet agl, temperature 25 degrees Celsius, dew point 5 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting of 29.99 inches of mercury.

A Cessna 310F that crashed during takeoff at the North Little Rock Municipal Airport on Thursday, killing a passenger, was piloted by an Air National Guardsman seeking the highest-level pilot's license, officials said Friday.

A report released by the North Little Rock police Friday identifies the passenger killed as 56-year-old Doyle G. Reynolds of Jefferson and the pilot as Daniel Shure, 30, of Benton, Wash.

Reynolds was an examiner along for the pilot's "check ride," the final test in the process of receiving an air transportation pilot's license from the Federal Aviation Administration, said airport Director Clay Rogers.

Shure reportedly walked away from the crash and was taken to a local hospital in unknown condition Thursday.

An Air Force spokesman at the Little Rock Air Force Base in Jacksonville said in an email that the pilot was an Air National Guardsman.

"As far as we know, he is currently not performing Guard duties and has no affiliation with Little Rock Air Force Base," the spokesman said, referring additional questions to the airport.

Investigators with the National Transportation Safety Administration arrived on the scene around 8:30 a.m. Friday.

An NTSB spokesman in Washington, D.C., said the on-scene team led by investigator Todd Fox will remain in North Little Rock through Sunday documenting the path of debris, taking photographs and speaking with witnesses.

Both the plane's engines and propellers will be taken to examine whether they functioned properly or not, NTSB spokesman Peter Knudson said.

A preliminary accident report will take about two weeks to be released, Knudson said, but investigators are unlikely to speculate on the cause of the accident until the release of a full report, which takes about a year.

Harry Barrett, the owner of Barrett Aviation at the North Little Rock airport, said Reynolds was known to people who worked at the airport for years, though it had been a while since he was known to do "check rides" there.

"ATP is like the doctorate of aviation," Barrett said, referring to the certification the pilot was seeking at the time of the crash. The certification is required to become a commercial airline pilot.

A Cessna 310 sitting in Barrett's shop, which he said was similar to the 1961 model that crashed, was about the size of a small truck and sat six, with room for two at the controls.

Barrett said he had heard from another witness that the airplane dipped to the left before crashing, indicating trouble with one of the engines.

"Those airplanes are kept up and the mechanics inspected every year; in this case, every 100 hours," Barrett said. "It was a very capable aircraft."

At the airport's administration office, Rogers said the pilots who regularly fly at the airport were taking the accident in stride. It was the first fatality in his five years as director, he said.

"Pilots and the people that love aviation know the risks," Rogers said. "That thrill is part of the appeal."

Story and video:

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - An airplane crashed at the North Little Rock Municipal Airport on Thursday, killing one, officials say. 

The North Little Rock Fire Department  said the plane was local and took off from the North Little Rock Municipal Airport. It then attempted to land at the same airport, approached low, nearly missed some nearby water tanks, missed the airstrip, struck a fence and eventually crashed in a nearby field.

One of the airplane's two pilots died in the crash, and the other was hospitalized with injuries that are not life threatening, according to the North Little Rock Fire Department. 

"It's a wonder anyone walked away from this. I don't even understand how anyone walked away from this. That pilot is extremely lucky," said Fire Chief John Flasterer when talking about the surviving pilot.

Flasterer said the surviving pilot walked away from the plane's wreckage after the crash. 

Fire personnel extinguished flames on the crashed aircraft within five to 10 minutes. The initial call about the crash came in at 1:32 p.m., officials said. Fire personnel were conducting training exercises nearby when the call came in, according to Flasterer. 

The airport did not sustain any additional damage from the crash, and although the facility closed briefly, it has since reopened. 

Flasterer said the last "serious" crash at the North Little Rock Municipal Airport took place around 20 years ago. 

The North Little Rock Fire Department declined to identify either pilot and said they were working to notify family members of the dead pilot. 

The plane that crashed was a Cessna 310F, according to an eyewitness. 

Story and video:

NORTH LITTLE ROCK (KATV) — Emergency officials tell Channel 7 News one person is dead and another is injured after a small plane crashed at the North Little Rock airport.

A witness tells us it happened at approximately 1:30 Thursday afternoon at the airport on Remount Road. According to North Little Rock police, the plane initially took off from the North Little Rock airport then crashed on the airport grounds near the Central Arkansas Water facility.

North Little Rock police say the Cessna 310 twin engine plane caught fire after it crashed. The flames reportedly got close to a fuel tank by the water facility.

Police say two people were on board the aircraft. The second person on the aircraft was taken to a local hospital with injuries and burns. A spokesman for the North Little Rock Fire Department says the person's injuries don't seem to be life-threatening.

The identities of the pilot and passenger are unknown.

North Little Rock airport operations were briefly interrupted due to the crash, but planes are again taking off and landing at the airport.

Story and video:

NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) — Emergency responders are on the scene of a small plane crash at North Little Rock Municipal Airport.

The Cessna 310 plane crash did not hit a fuel tank, but the flames spread close to it.  Two people were reported to have been on the plane: one is dead and the other was transported to a hospital.

The plane was local and took off from the NLR airport initially. It crashed on the outskirts of the airport, near the NLR water department

The cause of the crash is being investigated.

Original article can be found here:

NORTH LITTLE ROCK —One person is dead following a plane crash at the municipal airport in North Little Rock.

City spokesman Nathan Hamilton said one person died and a second person was hospitalized with unknown injuries when a Cessna 310F crashed about 1:30 p.m. Thursday.

Police told reporters at the scene that after the plane crashed it hit a fuel tank by the Central Arkansas Water facility and firefighters were called to the scene.

A police spokesman did not immediately return a phone call to The Associated Press.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the aircraft was destroyed and that the FAA will begin an investigation that will be led by the National Transportation Safety Board.

Original article can be found here:

No comments: