Monday, March 09, 2015

Cirrus SR22, N949WB: Accident occurred March 09, 2015 at Hurricane Municipal Airport - General Dick Stout Field (1L8), Hurricane, Utah

Regis#: N949WB
Aircraft Make: CIRRUS
Aircraft Model: SR22
Event Type: Accident
Highest Injury: None
Damage: Substantial
Flight Phase: LANDING (LDG)
FAA Flight Standards District Office: FAA Salt Lake City FSDO-07


HURRICANE – Operations were temporarily halted at the Hurricane Municipal Airport Monday afternoon after a plane crash-landed.

At approximately 1:40 p.m., emergency responders were called out to the Hurricane Municipal Airport on a report of a plane crash, Hurricane City Police Sgt. Brandon Buell said. A man flying a Cirrus SR22 single-engine aircraft was attempting to land at the airport when the incident occurred.

“The information we have so far is that the plane came down to land, and as the plane landed, a gust of wind hit the plane … It pushed the plane off the runway, which caught the tire in the dirt,” Buell said. “The pilot continued to just try to keep the nose up, ride it out through the dirt. At one point, the wing caught and spun the plane around, and it ended up where it’s at.”

The plane came to a stop south of the runway with minimal damage, Buell said. The pilot was uninjured.

The Federal Aviation Administration was notified of the incident, and airport operations were temporarily suspended while the scene was attended to.

Hurricane City Police and Hurricane Valley Fire and Ambulance responded to the scene.

This report is based on preliminary information provided by the authorities and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Story and video:

HURRICANE – A male pilot walked away uninjured after crash-landing his single-engine plane at the airport at General Dick Stout Field Monday afternoon.

The plane came in from the north with the wind at its back at about 1:40 p.m., Hurricane Police Sgt. Brandon Buell said. The pilot reportedly lost control during the landing, with the nose touching down and the plane spinning off the runway.

The Cirrus SR22 came to rest on its belly, just off the southern end of the runway.

The pilot was traveling alone and no other people were involved in the crash, Buell said.

The airport was temporarily closed while emergency crews responded to the scene, but Buell said he expected it to reopen later in the day.

The Federal Aviation Administration is conducting an investigation into the crash.

Story and photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment