Monday, December 29, 2014

Porter Airlines, Dash 8-400: Toronto Pearson International Airport

A Porter Airlines plane carrying 74 passengers on a flight from Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to Sudbury was diverted Sunday evening after crew members detected smoke inside the aircraft.

Flight 539 was diverted and made an emergency landing at Toronto Pearson International Airport soon after takeoff. After the smoke was detected, one of the plane's two engines was shut down using standard procedures and the aircraft landed safely, said a Porter spokeswoman.

Passengers were bused to the terminal. One passenger was seen by medical personnel for suspected anxiety. Two flight attendants were also seen by medical personnel as a precaution, according to a statement issued by the airline.

Hotel accommodation was arranged for passengers, who were scheduled to board a flight to Sudbury today (Monday).

That was the second incident involving a Porter plane and smoke Sunday. In the morning, a Porter flight carrying 66 passengers from Toronto to Washington, D.C., was diverted when smoke entered the flight deck and cabin, according to media reports.

Porter spokesman Brad Cicero told The Canadian Press the plane was diverted to Williamsport, Pa., after leaving Billy Bishop Airport at 8 a.m.

Cicero told CP the smoke was mainly in the flight deck, but that some was visible in the cabin.

No Porter official was available to be interviewed Monday.


A Porter Airlines flight from Toronto to Sudbury was forced to make an emergency landing at Pearson airport Sunday night after the plane's cabin filled with smoke, a Radio-Canada reporter on board said. 

Porter Flight PD539, a Bombardier Dash 8-400, departed from Billy Bishop in downtown Toronto at 7:35 p.m. ET.

Shortly after takeoff, the twin-propeller aircraft was diverted to Pearson.  

Mireille Langlois, the Radio-Canada reporter who was aboard the flight said the cabin began filling with smoke shortly before the decision to turn back to Toronto was announced. 

The plane landed safely, and passengers have been unloaded and are being shuttled to a terminal aboard buses. 

No representatives from Porter or the Greater Toronto Airport Authority were immediately available for comment Sunday night. 

The incident was the second aboard a Porter aircraft on Sunday. Hours earlier, another Porter flight from Toronto to Washington, D.C., made an unscheduled landing in Pennsylvania after smoke was detected on board. No one was injured and the plane landed safely. 

Story and comments:

No comments:

Post a Comment